Forums > General Industry > For the calorie conscious...

Model

Lovelymenace

Temecula, California, US

Okay, I like to eat.  No doubt about it, but I am hyper calorie conscious cause when it comes down to it, food is great, but it's fuel and if its not used, it's stored (learned this the hard way).  Anywho, I like to find ways to eat heartily, but without excess cals.  (My back up career choice is dietician so I always think of nutrition!)

What are your fav low cal foods?  What about guilty pleasures?

Some of my fav low cal foods are are:

*egg whites: 20 cals each-protien w/out the cholesterol

*Saltine crackers: 60 cals for 5-good for quick energy

*Morningstar farms veggie sausages-40 per link

*Vegetable broth: 5-20 cals.  Great filler-upper for few cals, its like soup.  I like to have it before I eat what I know is going to be a cal rich meal so I'm full before I finish it! (This works with chicken broth for the ppl who eat meat)

*Jasmine rice: 100 cals for 1/2 a cup. Yummy!

*Diet vanilla pepsi: 0 cals! (but its not that great for ya, diet soda raises blood sugar supposedly causing food cravings, very similar to simple carbs).

Guilty pleasures:

*Pad Thai!
*Thai Red Curry Tofu
*Haagen Daaz (sp) Vanilla icecream!
*Anything with cheese!

Mar 16 06 11:55 am Link

Model

CassandraLorien

Brooklyn, New York, US

cantaloupe or however you spell it. the whole thing is 100 cals, and i personally can only eat a max of half. its very filling.

Mar 16 06 12:08 pm Link

Model

Bettina

Los Angeles, California, US

I never really count calories. I try to eat a balanced diet of low fat, unprocessed foods and stay away from refined sugar and sodas. I am also a vegetarian and water is my staple drink of choice. Avoiding alcohol helps cut calories as well as excess water weight and bloating. I also eat very little dairy and drink only rice milk enriched with calcium. I eat a good, healthy breakfast, a yummy high protein green shake for lunch and a dinner composed of fresh veggies, pasta, rice and legumes and snacks in between such as dried fruit or nuts.
I am a competitive runner, so eating healthy while maintaining high energy levels is important to me....this is important when I am modeling too.
My biggest guilty pleasure is chai lattes in the morning.

Mar 16 06 12:10 pm Link

Model

JazzieT

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I eat a lot of oatmeal with honey (no sugar or butter), bananas, peanut butter sandwiches, and boiled eggs. A lot of these foods keep you full without a lot of fuss. I don't know the calorie intake for all of them, but it is very low.

Thanks for the other suggestions ...

Going to get cantaloupe right now smile

Mar 16 06 12:18 pm Link

Model

Lovelymenace

Temecula, California, US

Bettina wrote:
I never really count calories. I try to eat a balanced diet of low fat, unprocessed foods and stay away from refined sugar and sodas. I am also a vegetarian and water is my staple drink of choice. Avoiding alcohol helps cut calories as well as excess water weight and bloating. I also eat very little dairy and drink only rice milk enriched with calcium. I eat a good, healthy breakfast, a yummy high protein green shake for lunch and a dinner composed of fresh veggies, pasta, rice and legumes and snacks in between such as dried fruit or nuts.
I am a competitive runner, so eating healthy while maintaining high energy levels is important to me....this is important when I am modeling too.
My biggest guilty pleasure is chai lattes in the morning.

Yes, being veggie cuts out fast food for the most part for me.  I gave up milk for good too.  I love almond milk.  I cant kick the dairy product habit though, soy cheese just doesnt cut it for me unless it's Veggie Slices brand pepper jack.  Any suggestions?

Legumes are great.  Lots of fiber for the cal content.  I work best with figures and numbers so I cant avoid counting, but it sounds like you have great eating habits.  Where do u get the chai lattes...Starbucks?  I love their carmel apple ciders, but its pure sugar.

Mar 16 06 12:18 pm Link

Model

Lovelymenace

Temecula, California, US

CassandraLorien wrote:
cantaloupe or however you spell it. the whole thing is 100 cals, and i personally can only eat a max of half. its very filling.

Outstanding! How do you pick a ripe, sweet one? 

OOO! I also love mangoes, strawberries with splenda, and blueberries with melon and a lil honey.

Mar 16 06 12:21 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Baked spaghetti squash with olive oil & roasted garlic.  Mmmm…

Mar 16 06 12:32 pm Link

Model

Lovelymenace

Temecula, California, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
Baked spaghetti squash with olive oil & roasted garlic.  Mmmm…

Recipe please! big_smile

Mar 16 06 12:35 pm Link

Model

CassandraLorien

Brooklyn, New York, US

Lovelymenace wrote:

Outstanding! How do you pick a ripe, sweet one? 

OOO! I also love mangoes, strawberries with splenda, and blueberries with melon and a lil honey.

the little indent on the top should be soft.  It will also smell more strongly than the ones that arent ripe. they will also have a tan tinge instead of a green one.

hope that helps.

Mar 16 06 12:36 pm Link

Model

Bettina

Los Angeles, California, US

Lovelymenace wrote:

Yes, being veggie cuts out fast food for the most part for me.  I gave up milk for good too.  I love almond milk.  I cant kick the dairy product habit though, soy cheese just doesnt cut it for me unless it's Veggie Slices brand pepper jack.  Any suggestions?

Legumes are great.  Lots of fiber for the cal content.  I work best with figures and numbers so I cant avoid counting, but it sounds like you have great eating habits.  Where do u get the chai lattes...Starbucks?  I love their carmel apple ciders, but its pure sugar.

Haha...no suggestions on the cheese. I LOVE cheese, I just try to avoid it, but when I do have it, I only eat the real stuff.
Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf make a great chai latte, and I get it with skim milk. I can not consume soy for other health reasons. I would marry the maker of the sugare free chai!!!!

Mar 16 06 12:38 pm Link

Model

Lovelymenace

Temecula, California, US

CassandraLorien wrote:

the little indent on the top should be soft.  It will also smell more strongly than the ones that arent ripe. they will also have a tan tinge instead of a green one.

hope that helps.

Very helpful thank you!

Mar 16 06 12:41 pm Link

Model

Lovelymenace

Temecula, California, US

Bettina wrote:

Lovelymenace wrote:

Haha...no suggestions on the cheese. I LOVE cheese, I just try to avoid it, but when I do have it, I only eat the real stuff.
Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf make a great chai latte, and I get it with skim milk. I can not consume soy for other health reasons. I would marry the maker of the sugare free chai!!!!

Cheese = my kryptonite!  Yeah the real stuff is the way to go in small portions, 9g of fat per square inch!  I love tasty SF stuff, from breakfast syrup to drinks.

Mar 16 06 12:43 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Lovelymenace wrote:
Recipe please! big_smile

https://www.jdez.com/_Remote/temp/DSC_0129.jpg

I do it a little differently each time. - kinda like sex wink But here's the basics...

1 spaghetti squash
1/2 cup olive oil
Sliced Mushrooms
Minced fresh garlic
Grated parmesan cheese
White cooking wine

Split the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise.  Clean out the seeds.  With a fork, perforate the inside of each half.  Baste with some olive oil. 

https://www.jdez.com/_Remote/temp/DSC_0092.jpg

Place upside down in about 1/2" water in a wide shallow pan.  Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour or so. - Until the outside is soft and golden brown.

https://www.jdez.com/_Remote/temp/DSC_0111.jpg

Sauté mushrooms and chopped garlic in olive oil and white wine. - Add spices of your preference (I usually use spaghetti spices like oregano and basil.)

Scoop out the spaghetti like strands of squash into a mixing bowl. Add sautéed mushrooms.  Add about a half-cup olive oil and lightly mix together.  Add grated parmesan cheese and serve.

Very healthy and good model food. smile

Mar 16 06 01:11 pm Link

Model

Lovelymenace

Temecula, California, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:

I do it a little differently each time. - kinda like sex wink But here's the basics...

1 spaghetti squash
1/2 cup olive oil
Sliced Mushrooms
Minced fresh garlic
Grated parmesan cheese
White cooking wine

Split the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise.  Clean out the seeds.  With a fork, perforate the inside of each half.  Baste with some olive oil. 

Place upside down in about 1/2" water in a wide shallow pan.  Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour or so. - Until the outside is soft and golden brown.

Sauté mushrooms and chopped garlic in olive oil and white wine. - Add spices of your preference (I usually use spaghetti spices like oregano and basil.)

Scoop out the spaghetti like strands of squash into a mixing bowl. Add sautéed mushrooms.  Add about a half-cup olive oil and lightly mix together.  Add grated parmesan cheese and serve.

Sounds delish!  I'm going to have to try that!  I love to cook, but often lack time and energy.  I really need to lay off the microwave.

Mar 16 06 01:17 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Lovelymenace wrote:
Sounds delish!  I'm going to have to try that!  I love to cook, but often lack time and energy.  I really need to lay off the microwave.

Chopped microwave broccoli is healthy, fast and very low calerie.  Just put it in a soup bowl with spices and olive oil and cover the top with a plate.  Steams the broccoli in less than 2 minutes.

But do keep in mind that microwaves kill some vitamins and nutrients.  Stovetop steamer is better.

Mar 16 06 01:47 pm Link

Model

Lovelymenace

Temecula, California, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:

Chopped microwave broccoli is healthy, fast and very low calerie.  Just put it in a soup bowl with spices and olive oil and cover the top with a plate.  Steams the broccoli in less than 2 minutes.

But do keep in mind that microwaves kill some vitamins and nutrients.  Stovetop steamer is better.

Yeah my rice cooker doubles as a steamer.  I love it.

Mar 16 06 02:18 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Due to a fast paced lifestyle, I need healthy stuff I can eat on the run.  Right now my favorites are:

Zone Perfect Chocolate Peanut Butter (210 calories, 16g protein)
Pria Chocolate Peanut Crunch (110 calories, 5g protein)

I try to eat 200-300 calories 4-6 times per day (~1200 daily) for the metabolism boost.

Mar 16 06 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

* croutons - right out of the box:
http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/item/18242.html
http://www.thecaloriecounter.com/Foods/ … /Food.aspx

* crawfish - you'll probably expend more Calories shelling than you'll eat. Of course, this is a local delicacy that I found terribly unpalatable until I moved to Southeast Texas.
http://www.breauxbridgelive.com/boiled.html

* ice water does NOT work. Your body heats in "calories", food is actually measured in "Calories", which are more appropriately called "kilocalories".

* get rid of sugary drinks COMPLETELY. No fruit juice, sodas, sweet tea, sweet coffees, etc. Once you get used to water, unsweetened tea, and diet sodas, you won't miss them and it's the fastest way to cut Calories from your meal.

* I'm still overweight, so what do I know?

Mar 17 06 01:49 am Link

Model

Grey C

San Francisco, California, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:

1 spaghetti squash
1/2 cup olive oil
Sliced Mushrooms
Minced fresh garlic
Grated parmesan cheese
White cooking wine

UGH wow this sounds AMAZING! what a great recipe!

about the cantaloupe comment...not only are they low cal and delicious, they are packed with vitamins, more than most melons, and they er...make you poop haha

totally diggin the pad thai too...its addicting

Mar 20 06 03:04 am Link

Model

Grey C

low cal yogurts

the broccoli thing is really great too...love broccoli, zucchini (sp?) and hearty veggie soups

Mar 20 06 03:07 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

i'm going to keep track of this thread it seems tastey

Mar 20 06 03:15 am Link

Model

The Matthew Ross

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

A year ago when I was on my strict diet all I ate was healthy choice dinners and Special K cereal, and with the aid of diet pills ,it helped alot.
I would look at how many calories a dinner has and right after I eat it I would go on my gazelle and burn it right back off by looking at the calorie counter.That pretty much worked until my Mom found out about the ephedra ingredient and made me eat more...I went from a size 44 to a 29 and thanx to mom back to 33 (frown).

eating more normal foods is a habit I had to get used to, just like the habit of not eating so much. I dunno ,but I hope this helps at least a little.

Mar 20 06 09:32 am Link

Model

shellyradley

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

I love my food and eat what I like and just work a little harder in the gym.
I do try to keep to grilling or oven I rarely fry anything. I try to keep fat contents low and I detox twice a month..

does me ok i guess

xx shelly

Mar 20 06 10:47 am Link

Model

Grey C

shelly1982 wrote:
I love my food and eat what I like and just work a little harder in the gym.
I do try to keep to grilling or oven I rarely fry anything. I try to keep fat contents low and I detox twice a month..

does me ok i guess

xx shelly

detox? what is your method?
im on a detox diet now that clears up my skin and makes me feel light as a feather.

Mar 21 06 12:02 am Link

Model

shellyradley

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

I love detoxing different organs. Like I start with tonics in the mornings alternating kidneys and liver.
for the kidney's I have a hot water tonic with citrus and for the liver I have a hot water tonic with different homeopathic oils depending on what I am feeling.

I try to keep to liquids throughout my detoxing days like soups and veggie and fruit juices.
I also add some liquidised nuts and pulses into them gives it a bit of texture but does not make your bowels work it cleanses them

xx shelly xx hope this helps hun

Mar 21 06 06:47 am Link