Forums > General Industry > Do props make good art better?

Model

Isys Entertainment

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I was just curious as to what everybody thinks the most common prop is? Maybe this is an off the wall question since anything can be a prop but try to help me out please. Or better yet what prop grabs the most attention. And Finally do props make good art better?

Alisun

Mar 15 06 09:35 am Link

Photographer

TBoudreau Photography

Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

I think props just help to convey the story better, and create the atomsphere more of what you want

Mar 15 06 09:53 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Props, to me, are a means to an end.  I like photographing models that look like their brains are engaged; I dislike photographs of models with vague or empty stares (especially the ones where the model is gazing off into the distance).

Some times, all you need to do is give the model something to do with her hands.  So, anything that the model holds can be interesting.

Mar 15 06 09:56 am Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Better artists only make good art better.  Props can be used or misused just like anything else.

Mar 15 06 10:09 am Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

If the model is nude, a prop is the fastest way to utterly ruin the pictures, IMHO. I've seen exceptions (and used props) but generally, they're a distraction and almost immediately make things cheesy. Clothed pics already have props (the clothes) so it's a diferent thing. Obviously it depends on your taste- but I've never seen a nude wearing high heels that didn't make me cringe.

Mar 15 06 10:16 am Link

Model

Isys Entertainment

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I personally don't think props matter but I entered into a debate with another model who thinks that they make the pic. I think that the subject makes the picture hands down. But it is always interesting to hear other people's views.

Mar 15 06 10:21 am Link

Photographer

DFournier-Photography

Columbia, Maryland, US

Miles Chandler wrote:
If the model is nude, a prop is the fastest way to utterly ruin the pictures, IMHO. I've seen exceptions (and used props) but generally, they're a distraction and almost immediately make things cheesy. Clothed pics already have props (the clothes) so it's a diferent thing. Obviously it depends on your taste- but I've never seen a nude wearing high heels that didn't make me cringe.

What he said.

Mar 15 06 10:21 am Link

Photographer

House of Indulgence

New York, New York, US

It is not the prop. It is what you do with the prop. Just like in lighting. The object can be and do anything you want. It is how it is presented and used that makes the difference.

Personally if the prop is not something that belongs in the scene then tak it out. Also don't use the prop in a bornignway. Like a telephone. It can be used in fun ways. Like the cord wrapped around the body like a snake, etc.

I prefer the models to work with the set more than a prop. They can interact more with the set to make the shot interesting. Use different poses that can work within the set that can't be done in other photos.

Wow I rant too much. Basically be creative. Propr or not, it all starts in the brain...

Another 2 + 1 cents....

Mar 15 06 10:29 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

Miles Chandler wrote:
Obviously it depends on your taste- but I've never seen a nude wearing high heels that didn't make me cringe.

Ive seen plenty of nude women on beaches that wore shoes, some high healed. Come to think of it quite a few of them made me cringe smile

Mar 15 06 10:29 am Link

Model

Isys Entertainment

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Bangerman wrote:

Ive seen plenty of nude women on beaches that wore shoes, some high healed. Come to think of it quite a few of them made me cringe smile

Wow that one I really had to think about...but it is true high heels in nudes make it look sort of cheesy...until i get proved wrong I have to agree..lol

Mar 15 06 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Scott Aitken

Seattle, Washington, US

There are many possible elements that can combine to make a great art photo: setting, lighting, model, composition, use of color, perspective, etc. One of those elements can be props. Like any other element, it can be done well or done poorly.

Here, the prop is an integral element of the photo:
https://www.scottpix.com/gallery/people/paintwl/4469.jpg
Djinni, painting with light photo.
[No, this was not digitally manipulated. The effect is created entirely with light.]

Mar 15 06 10:43 am Link

Model

Isys Entertainment

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Well now who can argue that, this is a prop very well used. That is a very nice example and very well put together.

Alisun

Mar 15 06 10:56 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Isys Entertainment wrote:
I was just curious as to what everybody thinks the most common prop is?

If it's involves people/models/actors... the meatprop is most common. tongue

Mar 15 06 11:01 am Link

Model

Isys Entertainment

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

And what pray tell is the ummm meat prop? I think I know but ummm could u please explain?

Mar 15 06 11:09 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Isys Entertainment wrote:
And what pray tell is the ummm meat prop? I think I know but ummm could u please explain?

The human in the photograph... big_smile

Mar 15 06 11:11 am Link

Model

Isys Entertainment

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

What a way to say it LMAO

Mar 15 06 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Scott Aitken

Seattle, Washington, US

UdoR wrote:
If it's involves people/models/actors... the meatprop is most common. tongue

LOL. This reminds me of a computer game. One of the characters is an evil robot, and refers to all humans as "meat bags".

Mar 15 06 01:22 pm Link