Forums > General Industry > calling MMers "web-based"

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

I often run across some MMers commenting on this forum as if the rest of the MMers are "web-based".  I find this misleading, and in many cases derogatory.

first off, it makes that person sound extremely obnoxious, and secondly, unless a model/photographer/stylist SOLELY or PRIMARILY depends on online gigs for their income, IMO that person is not really "web-based".  For example, if a model has her own paysite and that is her main source of income, yes, I consider her a web-based model.  However, if a model does not have paysites or anything, has had land-based gigs or a land-based agency, and is here just for fun and meet interesting people, that model, to me, is not a "web-based" model.  Or, suppose that model got a few paying gigs that were posted on online castings... so what?  Even casting agents go look up LA Castings for gigs to send their models to.  Would that make her a WEB model?

I know dozens of land-based pros on this site.  More often than not they are professional, friendly, and are just on MM for fun.  But I noticed that some (and it's SOME, not all) land-based professionals on MM say things like "in the REAL industry..." or "that's how things are outside the web..." to members that do not necessarily seem to be "web-based", as if they ARE web-based and solely operate on the web. 

Just to name a few of the many MMers that IMO shouldn't be generalized as WEB-based as an example:
Roberto aka Fotorat is NOT a web-based photographer
Ron Goldstein is NOT a web-based photographer
Sophia Bui is NOT a web-based model
Seby is NOT a web-based model
Diana Moffitt is NOT a web-based model
LAMua is NOT a web-based Makeup Artist
Donna Mae is NOT a web-based Makeup Artist...
the list goes on and on.

In fact those that I correspond with on MM are almost always NOT web-based.

Perhaps it's just my fault that I do post on forums and that's why I just notice such generalizations, but it sometimes makes me wonder, if some (and may I stress SOME because there are many pros on MM that don't do this) land-based "pros" look down on MMers as "web-based" dreamers that much, why exactly do they care to keep an account on MM themselves or even have the time to bother to shoot others down in the forum as "web-based"? 

Sometimes this seems to be a little much.  Anyone else feel that way?

Mar 14 06 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

I get put down all the time because I am primarily a portrait photographer. Oh well let them say what they will, to little time to worry about it.

Mar 14 06 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Sascha wrote:
Perhaps it's just my fault that I do post on forums and that's why I just notice such generalizations, but it sometimes makes me wonder, if some (and may I stress SOME because there are many pros on MM that don't do this) land-based "pros" look down on MMers as "web-based" dreamers that much, why exactly do they care to keep an account on MM themselves or even have the time to bother to shoot others down in the forum as "web-based"? 

Personally, I categorize both models and photographers as "hobbist" or "professional" and that's all.

Some "hobbists" aspire to become "professionals" and that's cool. But in my mind, people can pretty much be lumped into those 2 categories. Neither one is better than the other (some "professionals" don't posses half the talent of some "hobbists") and neither one has anything to do with ones skills, ability, or diversity.

"Web" and "land-based" aren't really valid ways to categorize people because there is too much crossover.

Mar 14 06 05:59 pm Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:
Some "hobbists" aspire to become "professionals" and that's cool. But in my mind, people can pretty much be lumped into those 2 categories. "Web" and "land-based" aren't really valid ways to categorize people because there is too much crossover.

EXACTLY.  I totally agree with you.

Mar 14 06 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

Sascha,

As with any field of work there are those who stand out for better or for worse. There are quite a few web-based models as it were. A new breed with a new set of rules and goals. This is the way of the internet and it is all good. I think what you are seeing is a fusion of two worlds and many people are resistant. The "Land" based models and Photgraphers either feel threatend by the new breed of models, or and this is true in many cases too, many internet models are quite unprofessional and frankly a pain in the ass. Those few make it hard for the rest. Just like the GWC.

There is always going to be some static and friction. People will always have something to say about this group or that group. One must remember, before the days of the forum, to bad mouth somebody or a group, took much more effort. Now you can slam base an entire field in a few words and post it. Great way to get some crap started.

Welcome to the internet Yo....

V

Mar 14 06 06:03 pm Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Very good observation, Vance!  Interesting point.

Mar 14 06 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I am a web-photographer.  The internet is what brought me back into photography after I'd quit doing commercial photography in disgust.  It's been a place to show and sell my work, to meet photographers, to arrange models and is way less hassle than dickering with a 19-yr-old manager of a cafe to hang my pictures.

Since becoming a web-photographer my work's been featured in paper media, rather than just ads.  The web itself has become a market and I've sold work to several big sites, including Nerve.Com, one of the biggest.  I've shot for the local newspaper, covering nightlife, primarily for their web presence, with a regular feature that lasted about four years before I quit that as well. 

The web is a huge market, at this point dwarfing print media.  The money hasn't caught up yet.  But an example is that Reader's Digest, one of the most widely distributed of all U.S. print publications with a circulation of 12 million a month, can't touch BoingBoing.

I think that distinction between web-based and real world is getting very thin and at some point soon, the balance will flip the other way.

-Don

Mar 14 06 06:24 pm Link

Model

jade83

Columbia, Missouri, US

yeah, what's with all the "can't stand stupid internet models" complaints when those complained about are the few who try to sneak by with random snapshots and demanding to be paid for every photo session. I have seen casting calls by 3 or 4 different agencies posting on model sites. I definitely agree that the internet is a huge way for any artist to market their works.

Mar 14 06 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Mar 14 06 07:47 pm Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

DeBoer Photography wrote:
Does it really matter?

Do what you do.  If you enjoy it and it makes $$$ for you (if $$$ is your goal), then it doesn't matter if you are "web-based" or not.

Who cares?

If you are doing it just for "fun" then this shouldn't even be an issue.  And even if this is your source of income...why is it even an issue?

lol

Just ignore/don't work with those who "look down" on you.  Who cares...they are not in the same market as you.

DeBoir... I don't think you really understood the point of the thread.  I never said anyone looks down on me specifically, and yes, some of us do work land-based while we have profiles here on Model Mayhem.... and I said there are professionals that are online for fun, not members that model/photograph for fun in general.

Although I do agree with you that it shouldn't matter whether you make your money on the web or land... and yet it seems like the general nature is that the term "web-based" is inferior to "land-based".  And you're right, nobody should care which market others choose to belong to and it really shouldn't be something that they'd look down on.

Mar 14 06 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Mar 14 06 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Mar 14 06 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

You know,My company is in the middle of a business plan because we are about to expand. One of the things I always comment on here is the lack of professionalism that exist both "internet models" and "land based" as they are being described. I am just as criticle of the unprofessional atitudes of the operators of many of these websites.

Between the popularity contest and the ego trips many people are missing out on some very good oportunities.

For instance, many phone companies are now gearing up to provide broadcast entertainment while broadcasting companies are gearig up to provide communication services. Macromedia and Adobe have merged. BLAH BLAH BLAH,....

The bottom line is, there are going to be MANY MANY more opportunities in all forms of commercial photography, modeling and much much more. WHY?

Because Digital Media is finally becoming the monster we thought it was going to be a decade ago.

Many people are going to miss the boat because they are too busy being Super Models, or Super MODs or Super Photogs on these websites instead of taking the time to understand the trends and how it is going to affect us as artist and yes, business people.

There are so many wonderful opportunites coming down the pipeline, the only question is. Where will you be?

For me the answer is simple...I will be in the middle of it, enjoying the best of both worlds.
1. Artistic endeavour
2. Finacial gains

All adds up to fun !

Oh yeah....

Bottom line, all these definitions aside...iIt's truly going to be one world, and those that are not ready...POOF! It will pass you by.

Mar 14 06 08:48 pm Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Vance wrote:
Bottom line, all these definitions aside...iIt's truly going to be one world, and those that are not ready...POOF! It will pass you by.

Very cool way to put it, Vance! : D

Mar 14 06 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Sascha wrote:
I often run across some MMers commenting on this forum as if the rest of the MMers are "web-based".  I find this misleading, and in many cases derogatory.

I don't think it's derogatory, but I'd say it does recognize that there's a difference between the most of the folks on here and most of the folks who work in the mainstream brick and mortar modeling/advertising world.  When people acknowledge the difference, they are not saying that every single person on here fits the same mold.  They are speaking in general terms.

Sascha wrote:
I know dozens of land-based pros on this site.

Out of how many total?

I think it's great that pros hang out here.  It's nice to read comments from people whose knowledge and experience goes beyond what they read on internet forums.  But the vast majority of folks on here just do photography and modeling as the  hobby level.  If they had o do i for a living, they'd starve.  And that includes me.

Mar 14 06 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

WillSpringfield

GUESS what... the internet is a GREAT PLACE to scout talent regardless of what. so a hobbyist can become a professional if seen by the riht person. It is also a GREAT way to make your name known! the internet is one of the GREATEST PR resources!!! for a model or photographer who MAY very well NEVER shoot someone from the internet, but may post all the agency models they shoot. but eitherway who really cares... just DO WHAT YOU DO!!! and BE HAPPY LOL.

Mar 15 06 12:04 am Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Schenectady, New York, US

Sascha... you started  similar thread that you seemed to have abandoned that touches on the same exact thing.

So rather than being redundant... I'll be redundant:

Steven Bigler wrote:
Sascha.... what your photographer failed to tell you was that he "would not" rather "could not"... as I too could not have to explain to a client why I did not book an agency girl.

It was not a personal thing... it is a professional thing... it's what we do.

To the actual biz as a whole... anything web based is 'less' or a joke.

Yes we could do the "but she / he is here .... and said _____ to me..." all day.  But in the end... real jobs go to real models.

Yes for personal things or projects there are options (as well as nudes.)... but that is the balance of it.

Yes you will find SOME photographer and working models also 'on the web'... but chances are they are 'on the web' for other reasons than for ACTUAL PROFESSIONAL MONEY MAKING MATTERS.
They rely on there actual agents for that.

-SB

Mar 15 06 12:08 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Steven, it seems like you posted on the other thread AFTER I edited my OP saying I'm leaving that thread as I'm content with the responses.  And, it seems like in either posts you are stuck on trying to explain how agency models are prioritized in shoots... which is correct... however both times you were off the topic.  The last topic was about how being on MM might HURT your career regardless of whether you have land-based agencies/gigs, NOT about why agency models are prioritized.  This topic was about how some MM members seem to mock the MM community using terms such as "web-based" which lead me to wonder why they're even apart of it in the first place, again, has nothing to do with what you are trying to explain.

Mar 15 06 12:37 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Dave Krueger wrote:
I think it's great that pros hang out here.  It's nice to read comments from people whose knowledge and experience goes beyond what they read on internet forums.  But the vast majority of folks on here just do photography and modeling as the  hobby level.  If they had o do i for a living, they'd starve.  And that includes me.

I think that's why one of us mentioned that he categorizes them as hobbyists vs. pros instead of web vs. land... you can be modeling or photographing as a hobby even when land-based, and you can be modeling or photographing as a profession even when you're web-based.

Mar 15 06 12:40 am Link

Photographer

Tony Culture Photoz

Bloomfield, New Jersey, US

Good ! Now the next time someone comes on the forums with the "I am better than them" mentality, to rant about how he gets no play.  Tell that whiner to fall back and simply "Live & Let Live" !  smile

Mar 15 06 12:44 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Sascha wrote:

Well... I think that the term web-based is not necessarily negativ.

Many people, even agencies must have a webpresence nowadays, and landbased agencies are checking industry sites such as models.com for talent.

So, having a webpresence is nothing more than an extension of land based business.

Where it gets tricky is when models or photographers, for whom the net is the ONLY source of "industry contacts", coming up with expectations, demands and wannabe attitudes that tries to immitate landbased industry habits...

Going further out, and are completely unrealistic about the whole industry... and those people are the ones that "the others" look down at.

Why? Because the typical internet model has often a series of handheld webcam pix, out of shape, no experience and demand paid assignments only in pay ranges that landbased agencies are asking for their highly selected models and which even includes the agency cut.

To summarize... I see the distinction here really in an unrealistic assessment of someones own skills and demands which would just not fly in the landbased industry.

Am I clear? I am too tired.

Hope you do understand what I am rambling about.

Mar 15 06 12:55 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Yes Udo, I know what you mean ; ) however, that makes me further agree with Eric's categorization of Hobbyists vs. Pros... seems like it's way more appropriate than web vs. land : )

Mar 15 06 12:59 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Sascha wrote:
Yes Udo, I know what you mean ; ) however, that makes me further agree with Eric's categorization of Hobbyists vs. Pros... seems like it's way more appropriate than web vs. land : )

Again definitions aside...

One must look to the future of marketing and promotion. Let's face it. MOST of what we as photgraphers do is is either marketing (commercial) or purely art for arts sake.

Let's put art on the back burner. Many of us wish to be published in one form or another. I myself have photos as well as advertisments published because of work I was contracted to do.

The internet will become another "mainstream" source as the big companies expand out into the internet. Go to www.nikeid.com or adidas or anty of the major company websites. They all have commercial artwork aon them. Ten go look at some corporate websites. Not major companies, but corporations non the less. they sink a ton of money into their marketing and promotions, and often purcase space in the major magazines for placing their promotional materials. These companies dont always call up Tyra banks or Mr. Jordon. They call production companies like me, who then put a quote and concept together. We then go out and put the marketing material together.

This is happening more and more in the industry. More channels, more opportunities because the cost to advertise has come down and the cost to produce quality work has come down.

the question is, who will you affiliate yourself with. When it all washes out, being on the internet wont be the issue. the issue will be are you affiliated with entities that are perceived as PROFESSIONAL. Peole can argue this point all day long, in the end when it all washes out, proffessional affiliation will always go a long way.

In terms of Myspace, MM and the likes..Once you are big enough to be visible, you then go under the microscope. Happens all the time. Once under the microscope you will be labled and defined by the industry which you are in. That is where reputation comes into play.

This is getting too long...
But I am sure you get my meaning...

vance

Mar 15 06 01:15 am Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Sascha wrote:
you can be modeling or photographing as a hobby even when land-based, and you can be modeling or photographing as a profession even when you're web-based.

Yes, but the chances are much greater that web based folks are doing it as a hobby and land based folks are doing it professionally. Saying there are exceptions doesn't disprove the generalization.  Saying you know a short guy who is popular with the women doesn't mean that women don't usually go for tall guys.

Mar 15 06 06:07 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

So isn't that why we need to change the stereotypical views of the mainstream entertainment world?

The problem is that there are many professionals who participate on the web as well as the mainstream.  Likewise there are many who make their sole living from the web.  And yet there are others, hobbyists who do everything from the web.

The hobbyists are a exclusive of the web, not the mainstream and sometimes give the impression that hobbyists are what the Internet is about.

That is the impression that needs to be changed, but the question is how.  I do understand your point, but from a realistic standpoint, most mainstream agents, producers, etc who don't participate on the net, to some degree look down on those who do.

Udo has it right though, it really doesn't make a difference.  In the end, you are measured by your success no matter where the accolades come from.

Mar 15 06 06:15 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

i socialize here, but i make my living there..

Mar 15 06 06:45 am Link

Model

McKenzie

Fort Myers, Florida, US

Sascha wrote:

first off, it makes that person sound extremely obnoxious, and secondly, unless a model/photographer/stylist SOLELY or PRIMARILY depends on online gigs for their income, IMO that person is not really "web-based".  For example, if a model has her own paysite and that is her main source of income, yes, I consider her a web-based model.  However, if a model does not have paysites or anything, has had land-based gigs or a land-based agency, and is here just for fun and meet interesting people, that model, to me, is not a "web-based" model.  Or, suppose that model got a few paying gigs that were posted on online castings... so what?  Even casting agents go look up LA Castings for gigs to send their models to.  Would that make her a WEB model?

I know dozens of land-based pros on this site.  More often than not they are professional, friendly, and are just on MM for fun.  But I noticed that some (and it's SOME, not all) land-based professionals on MM say things like "in the REAL industry..." or "that's how things are outside the web..." to members that do not necessarily seem to be "web-based", as if they ARE web-based and solely operate on the web. 

Just to name a few of the many MMers that IMO shouldn't be generalized as WEB-based as an example:
Roberto aka Fotorat is NOT a web-based photographer
Ron Goldstein is NOT a web-based photographer
Sophia Bui is NOT a web-based model
Seby is NOT a web-based model
Diana Moffitt is NOT a web-based model
LAMua is NOT a web-based Makeup Artist
Donna Mae is NOT a web-based Makeup Artist...
the list goes on and on.

In fact those that I correspond with on MM are almost always NOT web-based.

For me and many others who are actually doing land based things as well.  I think that MM is a matter of getting yourself out there even more than you already are and also seeing what other things you can do or what other assignments you might get into.  There are so many great people on and offline. 

No matter what...people are going to judge...it always happens.  You can't make everyone happy.  If being a part of MM helps boost your modeling....then go for it! 

xoxoxoxo
McKenzie

Mar 15 06 06:49 am Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

I have repeatedly talked about the difference between the internet based and land based modeling worlds.   I think they are miles apart.  What we see on MM is mostly hobbyists which is different from the brick and mortar agency world where people earn a living from it. 

Whenever I say that, I know there are going to be a bunch of people who immediately think of an exception and, therefore, assume I must be worng.  There is nothing low class about being a hobbyist, nor is there anything wrong with socializing on MM if you're a pro.  But, if you're looking to get into mainstream modeling, you need to go to an agency, preferably in a big city.  The chances of getting into mainstream modeling by hanging around MM is slim to none.

Sure there are exceptions and some overlap, but for the most part internet modeling and mainstream modeling are different worlds.  My humble opinion, of course.

-Dave

Mar 15 06 08:30 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Dave Krueger wrote:
There is nothing low class about being a hobbyist, nor is there anything wrong with socializing on MM if you're a pro.  But, if you're looking to get into mainstream modeling, you need to go to an agency, preferably in a big city.

I would say that many of those that you call hobbyists on the net, call themself professionals.

Where more hobbyists/amateur photographers are willing to say that they are not professionals and love to do it for the art and not for income, there are probably more models who are below amateur level, who call themself a professional model because they have a payrate (often exorbitantly high) on their profiles.

Mar 15 06 09:07 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

UdoR wrote:

I would say that many of those that you call hobbyists on the net, call themself professionals.

Where more hobbyists/amateur photographers are willing to say that they are not professionals and love to do it for the art and not for income, there are probably more models who are below amateur level, who call themself a professional model because they have a payrate (often exorbitantly high) on their profiles.

Good point,,,,

Mar 15 06 04:24 pm Link