Forums > General Industry > Should models contact a photographer and ask to be

Photographer

Paul Morgan

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Hello all,

This is not against any one model as I have had multiple models do it.

But my question is this - Should a model contact a photographer, state that they like their work and want to work with them and then ask to be paid? And if the photographer will not pay then they wish not to work with him or her after all.

I can understand if a photographer contacts a model and wants to work with them and they negotiate pay or TFP/TFCD but find it odd that a model would talk about wanting to work with a photographer because of their work and then expect to get paid.

Mar 14 06 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

the forums are on endless repeat, like a broken record.

if you don't like the terms of the arrangement, negotiate, or move on.

Mar 14 06 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

WestWoodStudios

This has been posted a zillion and one times. who cares already, pay, not pay sleep with, not sleep with, like him, like her, he did this, she did that, no show, did show, nothing like her pic OMG and so on on on on ............... who cares~~~~~~~~` This is the internet "be all you can be until proven otherwise"
Oh and lets us not forget the GWC threads and diva's and god knows what elese. 90,000 creative people can muster up some really insane stuff in one day!~~

I am so sick of these threads
Robert
Mild rant

Mar 14 06 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

Respond to those you like....ignore the ones you do not wish to work with (or send them a simple message saying not interested).....it is really that simple.

Mar 14 06 05:00 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

should vs what happens are two diffrent stories.

with the advent of internet modeling someone somewhere paid a girl to take photos, then someone paid her more, then she told her friends, and the storie goes on and on.

untill some girl takes her web cam or cell phone and snaps a few shots of her self nekked then she will email all photographers in the area and charge 200.00 hour to take her picture.

Mar 14 06 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

picturemephotography

Muncie, Indiana, US

this has happened to me also.  the first time i received that email it was from a model i wouldn't have asked for a tfp from. after laughing a little i sent her my rates and never heard from her again.  after that if i like the look i offered a tfcd or tfp session, but i have never accepted their offer to pay them.

if you contact me and like my work, pay me or attempt to seek a tfp.

Mar 14 06 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

Claude Taylor

CLEARWATER BEACH, Florida, US

Paul Morgan wrote:
Hello all,

This is not against any one model as I have had multiple models do it.

But my question is this - Should a model contact a photographer, state that they like their work and want to work with them and then ask to be paid? And if the photographer will not pay then they wish not to work with him or her after all.

I can understand if a photographer contacts a model and wants to work with them and they negotiate pay or TFP/TFCD but find it odd that a model would talk about wanting to work with a photographer because of their work and then expect to get paid.

From my observation there is apparently a massive amout of photographers paying  models to shoot without any client projects or purpose for the images other than to post them here and other sites of the sort.
It has in my opinion,given many especially newer models the impression that this is how the business works.

It does get frustrating sometimes but that is the nature of internet networking smile
I am glad I have landbased resourses as my main source when big paying projects are involved

CT

Mar 14 06 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

XposurePhoto

Houston, Texas, US

This horse have been beat to death and burried (how ever it is spelled)

Those are Model-wannabees and it is a cut and paste email just trying to get $$$, eventually some one will fall for it and pay them and they will do it over and over again, there is always a rich GWC arround...for me, if they like my work so much but they won't pay they have to have something that I would be interested in and be willing to meet me half way...I am not paying or giving extra images unless I was the one contacting them and I am sure not paying unless I contact them for a specific job that is paying me and she/he has a portfolio that shows she is a pro or that she can pull the look I need.

To each their own, but you are not the first one to get that email and will not be the last one to receive it either, just get used to reply: "Thanks for your generous offer, I will keep that in mind" and then put it in your files for further reference in case they come back you know what they said. I ofted find myself looking for talent and run across the ones who wrote me with bad manners or did not reply to me, then they forget who am I when I ask for models for a paid shoot...if they wher snobs before I do not hire them nor recomend to other photographers...at that point is their loos.

That is why I try to deal with everyone the same way, I don't get mad, I just get even, this is biz to me, if they are not serious I do not want to waste my time...if it takes 2 months for them to reply they can not be possible serious about the business, and offers are not for ever.

Keep up the good work and do not waste your time with the clue less ones!

PS: I know I can not spell and too lazy for spell check  lol

Mar 14 06 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Ryan

Glendale, California, US

Dave Wright Photo wrote:
the forums are on endless repeat, like a broken record.

if you don't like the terms of the arrangement, negotiate, or move on.

Give the guy a break, he just joined last month. Perhaps this site should have a Frequently Posted Forum Question section.

Mar 14 06 05:12 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Should a model contact a photographer, state that they like their work and want to work with them and then ask to be paid?

When it happens to me, the other way around, I find it incredibly insulting.  I think if someone really wants to work with someone else, they should be willing to do it for his/her book and not try to hit the person up for money.  (And people who contact me because they "like my look" and think that attending their $800 seminar will "help my career"... that's just as insulting.  No thanks.)

But then again, I don't think it's ever appropriate to approach a photographer and ask for money unless s/he has a paid model call up somewhere.  Then it should be more of a "hey, I like your work and would like to be considered for this project" (etc).

Mar 14 06 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Paul Morgan wrote:
Should a model contact a photographer, state that they like their work and want to work with them and then ask to be paid?

No, that's called telemarketing. It's evil.

Mar 14 06 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Morgan

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Thanks to those who were kind enough to answer the question with helpful information.

To the others, I did search by paying models and some other terminology and did not find post that covered my question. I understand that some people get frustrated when they see the same question over and over but sometimes searching does not bring up the old questions that cover the particular question. I am a moderator on another forum and I see questions asked again and again and I just try and answer their questions the best I can even if I answered the same thing a while back for someone else. If the question bothers someone then I say do not respond and go on to someone else who may have a question that has not been answered.

Mar 14 06 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

R. Olson (RO)

Seattle, Washington, US

Clone thread, please take five minutes of your day to explore the Forums search function.

It should be noted that if a model or photographer wants to work with someone, they should contact if they are interested in working together. Its not worth sitting and waiting for a model to contact a photographer or vice versa. Take initiative and make the first contact.

Mar 14 06 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Morgan

Fort Worth, Texas, US

R. Olson (RO) wrote:
Clone thread, please take five minutes of your day to explore the Forums search function.

It should be noted that if a model or photographer wants to work with someone, they should contact if they are interested in working together. Its not worth sitting and waiting for a model to contact a photographer or vice versa. Take initiative and make the first contact.

Please read my reply above your post. I did use the search function.

And I do contact models but find it odd that models will contact a photographer wanting to work with them and then ask to be paid. That would be like telling a model that you want to work with them and then ask them to pay you.

Mar 14 06 06:33 pm Link