Model

VeenaJ

New York, New York, US

I just wanted to get your advice on taking care of fake lashes...

Do people just use them once and throw them out afterwards? (seems expensive) Or do they somehow maintain them so the lashes can be used at least a few more times?

The back of the packages says that they can be used for up to 3 weeks...but how should I clean them after use and preserve the shape? (I noticed that washing them kinda makes them un-reusable)

Just wondering...

Thanks!  smile

Mar 13 06 03:32 pm Link

Model

Gore Kitten

Naperville, Illinois, US

I was in Show Choir for many years, and fake eyelashes were a biggie... the only real way I could get them clean was first peeling off the glue and using eye makeup remover on them to remove the excess glue and makeup... Put the eyelash on a napkin and use a peice of TP or a cotton swab to clean them, but be careful on how hard you pull or else it'll get out of shape or sometimes rip the lashes out, and also be careful of cotton getting stuck to it... if worst comes to worst, use nail polish remover to get hard to remove gunk off.

Mar 13 06 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

Gore Kitten wrote:
I was in Show Choir for many years, and fake eyelashes were a biggie... the only real way I could get them clean was first peeling off the glue and using eye makeup remover on them to remove the excess glue and makeup... Put the eyelash on a napkin and use a peice of TP or a cotton swab to clean them, but be careful on how hard you pull or else it'll get out of shape or sometimes rip the lashes out, and also be careful of cotton getting stuck to it... if worst comes to worst, use nail polish remover to get hard to remove gunk off.

Y'aww I was in Show Choir too! I got to sing a solo once....teehee.

But yea, exactly what Miss Gore Kitten said. Although, if they're just plastic lashes, its probably not worth it and they can sort of disinegrate from the cleaning products. If you are super careful, lashes made with real hair clean pretty good.

Make Up For Ever has the most amazing lashes. big_smile

Siân Melton
http://www.alwaysmadeup.com

Mar 13 06 04:04 pm Link

Model

VeenaJ

New York, New York, US

Thanks for the advice...both of you!

Much appreciated!  smile

Mar 13 06 04:06 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty4U

New York, New York, US

As a MUA I dont use them more than once because it's not sanitary.  If I use them on you, I can't take them and use them on someone else.  Let say that you have an eye infection, if I use them on someone else, they'll get that infection.  I don't want to be known as the MUA that gave someone an infection.

But when I use them, I just peel the glue off, use a little bit of makeup remover and put them in little sandwich baggys for protection smile

Hope that helps!

Yisell
www.yisellsantos.com

Mar 13 06 04:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Cristen Troop

Howell, New Jersey, US

I myself as a MUA dont reuse them on clients either.....not to mention most models just walk out wearing them as its a bonus for them...to each his own lol.
I would think tho that the models who truely have no eye lashes and need them everytime would have their own but I suppose using ours for free and gaining a new pair is a given.........

Mar 13 06 04:43 pm Link

Model

VeenaJ

New York, New York, US

Oh, I'd never use my fake lashes on anyone else (not that I've ever had the opportunity, since I'm a model and not a makeup artist)...I just wanted to know how to make sure that they last for multiple applications...

Thank goodness I've never encountered a makeup artist who reuses lashes...so far, everyone I've worked with has been really professional and concerned about keeping things hygenic!  smile

Mar 13 06 04:46 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

ummm you can acctually use 99 % achole to dissinfect eye lashes, this is a great way to remove the glue too. I simply place the lashes into a shot glass pour into a little 99% achole and let soak for a little while like 15-20 min. the glue should have either lifted from the lash bed or is easily removable. I then place the freashly cleaned lashes between a pice of paper towel and blot the excess liquid. then using the handel of thin make-up brush curve the lash around the brush in the shape of the natural lash . gentily roll the lash and then tahh dah you have a new set of lashes, smile
you can use these lashes on other people but it must be cleaned in the 99% achole this will clean it and then you can re use them, but I almost always use fresh new ones on every client.
I acctually clean every set of lashes with 99% alchole  before using them, cuz you never know who or what touched them before you stick them to someones eye lids. smile
Mandy of Deadly Design Make-up Artistry

Mar 14 06 12:25 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Los Angeles, California, US

AlwaysMadeUp wrote:
Y'aww I was in Show Choir too! I got to sing a solo once....teehee.

But yea, exactly what Miss Gore Kitten said. Although, if they're just plastic lashes, its probably not worth it and they can sort of disinegrate from the cleaning products. If you are super careful, lashes made with real hair clean pretty good.

Make Up For Ever has the most amazing lashes. big_smile

Siân Melton
http://www.alwaysmadeup.com

For MUFE lashes... Danielle peels off the glue and uses makeup remover. Then sprays them with brush cleaner. And you can also take a rubbing alcohol swap and wipe the part where you glue them. But the thing is that they are probably the most unhygenic thing you can put on someone. And they also get a little messed up. It's not cost efficient buying MUFE lashes unless you've been given a budget to pay for them.

Have you tried just buying Ardell lashes and throwing them away? I don't remember where... but there is a site that sells good quality lashes deeply discounted. I'm gonna go and see if I can find the link.

Mar 14 06 04:34 am Link

Makeup Artist

Belinda Muir

London, England, United Kingdom

Mar 14 06 06:07 am Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

Mandy, I'm fairly certain that 99% alcohol isn't sold in the States, or its near impossible to get a hold of and not readily available in drug stores. I think rubbing alcohol (70%) is the strongest....

I vaguely remember Craig mentioning it in school....but I could be incorrect.

Mar 14 06 06:53 am Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

Kuree wrote:
For MUFE lashes... Danielle peels off the glue and uses makeup remover. Then sprays them with brush cleaner. And you can also take a rubbing alcohol swap and wipe the part where you glue them. But the thing is that they are probably the most unhygenic thing you can put on someone. And they also get a little messed up. It's not cost efficient buying MUFE lashes unless you've been given a budget to pay for them.

Have you tried just buying Ardell lashes and throwing them away? I don't remember where... but there is a site that sells good quality lashes deeply discounted. I'm gonna go and see if I can find the link.

I was referring to the fact that I use MUFE lashes on MYSELF. This thread was about lashes and personal use, not professional MUA use, as the original poster is a model. I would never re-use lashes on someone; I am a hygenic artist. Do not assume that I am not just because I'm giving someone advice for their personal lashes.

And as well, as Mandy pointed out, for those of us living in the lovely country of Canada, 99% alcohol exists, and its a very strong disinfectant. Although its always more safe to just toss 'em, just in case....

I am well aware that there are cheaper lashes available at drug stores, other makeup stores, etc. As well, I actually do have a budget that allows me to use MUFE lashes on pretty much all my shoots. I like them and they work for me. I think Ardell lashes look cheap. Thanks, though.

Mar 14 06 06:57 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

What the fucking hell was that? Yikes!

Mar 14 06 10:13 am Link

Photographer

ChristianBehr

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Kuree got HACKED...

Mar 14 06 11:13 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Kuree wrote:

This is from an old email account from an old conversation. So whoever did this... fuck off!

Mar 14 06 11:24 am Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

Hacked, eh? Weird.

I was wondering who the eff Danielle was, lol.

Mar 14 06 11:45 am Link

Model

LuzJuliana

Grand Prairie, Texas, US

Kuree wrote:

This is from an old email account from an old conversation. So whoever did this... fuck off!

That kind of crap happens a lot when you have different e-mail accounts. It can be ages old but someone will re post it to make you look contradicting.  So whoever dares be warned: you never know when it will strike you back!

Mar 14 06 11:53 am Link

Model

VeenaJ

New York, New York, US

I'm not really sure why tensions had to run high over a simple question about lashes...hmm...I guess people take everything personally on this site!

As for the hacking into others' accounts to make them look "contradicting," it all seems pretty juvenile...why waste your time?

In any case, thanks to everyone who has provided input on this...I've had to provide my own lashes at times, and it's always nice to know how to stretch your dollar a little further...  smile

Mar 14 06 12:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

AlwaysMadeUp wrote:
Mandy, I'm fairly certain that 99% alcohol isn't sold in the States, or its near impossible to get a hold of and not readily available in drug stores. I think rubbing alcohol (70%) is the strongest....

true and the 70% stuff isnt strong enough and it wont work with the fx palett either sorry lost my train of thought.
lucky for us we live in Canada and have access to the strong stuff smile ahh i love 99% alcohol  smilesmilesmilesmilesmile and I remeber Craig mentioning that too and I think Alex was the one who told us about the whole cleaning and reusing of the lashes.

Mar 14 06 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

Deadly Design Make-up wrote:

true and the 70% stuff isnt strong enough and it wont work with the fx palett either sorry lost my train of thought.
lucky for us we live in Canada and have access to the strong stuff smile ahh i love 99% alcohol  smilesmilesmilesmilesmile and I remeber Craig mentioning that too and I think Alex was the one who told us about the whole cleaning and reusing of the lashes.

Ahh good ole Canada, where the alcohol is strong and the womens are pretty. wink

And I don't really understand that whole hacking bidness. Can't imagine why anyone would waste their time doing that....silly people.

Mar 14 06 07:12 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

yah it seams like alot of work for nothing I mean i understand if you are trying to get millions of dollars or something fro free but hijacking a modeling forum??? WTF ??? thats all i gotta say.. smile

Mar 14 06 07:48 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Deyanne Holmes

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I know this is off topic but while we're on the subject of lashes, does anyone have any  advice for applying lashes to the lower lid? Do they go on TOP of the lower lashes or underneath?

Thanks

Deyanne

Mar 15 06 08:52 pm Link

Model

Tarahdice

New York, New York, US

i had a bad experience with them. On my way to a shoot I was leaving my building and one fell off on my cheek and some random guy told me there was something crawling across my face.

Mar 15 06 08:59 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup By Diana Marie

North Valley Stream, New York, US

As an MUA as well as Model this is what I do... Sephora sells a "Sephora professional lash kit" and it has a little case to put the lashes in... I reuse eyelashes on the same people. For instance right now i'm working on a movie and I labelled the lashes the actresses used and reused them on themselves, but I never reuse them on other people. I was "taught" to put them back in their case with alcohol but it really ruins them. Your best bet is what everyone else is saying with the remover to reuse them. U can keep them on and sleep with them but then they get all spidery looking and u dont want that. Hope it helps!

~Diana

Mar 15 06 09:06 pm Link

Model

elisaveta ♀

New York, New York, US

I hate them!!

♀

Mar 15 06 09:10 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

elisaveta ♀ wrote:
I hate them!!

♀

that's because you have them!  mine are .00002 cm long.  LOL.  i need them sad

Mar 15 06 09:26 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Ok.  Now can someone post application tips?????  I've tried and tried and can never get the damn things on close enough to my natural lash line.  Where are the tips and tricks for that?????  smile

Mar 15 06 09:48 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

its hard to expliane I would say just practice practice

Mar 16 06 01:01 am Link

Makeup Artist

BeautifulBrush

AlwaysMadeUp wrote:

I vaguely remember Craig mentioning it in school....but I could be incorrect.[/quote ]

I use 99% alcohol all the time and the only place to get it in the US is from a medical supply place or through a make-up store like Namies, frends, some place like that.

Mar 16 06 11:11 am Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

Face Art wrote:
I use 99% alcohol all the time and the only place to get it in the US is from a medical supply place or through a make-up store like Namies, frends, some place like that.

Yea, in Canada you can just walk into any drug store and pick it off the shelf (at least in Toronto you can). Thats good to know for future reference, if I ever find myself needing 99% alcohol in the States. Thanks. smile

Mar 16 06 12:08 pm Link

Model

Nyah C

New York, New York, US

about the lashes, as a makeup artist, i prefer using MAC ones and yes you should reuse them if they're urs because they cost $9 for a pair....also love them cuz they have a package which you can put them in again. just clean them with alcohol and when u need to reuse them apply glue again. the glue sells for about $3 at duane reade stores.

Mar 16 06 12:13 pm Link

Model

spyro2122

Orlando, Florida, US

I didnt know you can clean them off, I have been throwing them out. man I feel like a fool.

Mar 16 06 12:32 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Nyah Matela wrote:
about the lashes, as a makeup artist, i prefer using MAC ones and yes you should reuse them if they're urs because they cost $9 for a pair....also love them cuz they have a package which you can put them in again. just clean them with alcohol and when u need to reuse them apply glue again. the glue sells for about $3 at duane reade stores.

dont cheap out on the glue I use DUO its a sergical adhisve and the best thing on the plannet to use.  it really sucks if the glue comes undone while your shooting , often you might have to redo what has been done if the glue comes loose.   Mandy of Deadly Design Make-up Artisrty

Mar 16 06 01:08 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Emily Chen

Rochester, New York, US

AlwaysMadeUp wrote:

I'm in NY and i've seen 90% alchohol in some beauty supply stores. i rarely see it though. you really have to look hard. and i think you're right, i don't think you can get 99% around here

Mar 16 06 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

Deadly Design Make-up wrote:

dont cheap out on the glue I use DUO its a sergical adhisve and the best thing on the plannet to use.  it really sucks if the glue comes undone while your shooting , often you might have to redo what has been done if the glue comes loose.   Mandy of Deadly Design Make-up Artisrty

Yes, Duo Surgical Adhesive is really the best shit around. I use it for all my lash, rhinestone, feather, whatever needs. The MAC website sells Duo, so I would assume the the MAC stores do as well (I don't shop in MAC often, so I wouldn't know).

Mar 16 06 07:17 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

AlwaysMadeUp wrote:

Yes, Duo Surgical Adhesive is really the best shit around. I use it for all my lash, rhinestone, feather, whatever needs. The MAC website sells Duo, so I would assume the the MAC stores do as well (I don't shop in MAC often, so I wouldn't know).

I use duo, but I also think the glue that comes with the MUFE lashes works great as well.

Apr 25 06 09:43 am Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Hutchings

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

In Most drug stores in Canada you have to ask for the 99% Alcohol because it's now held behind the counter due to the fact it is used in making Meth or Heroin or something like that. Most likely that is where it is kept in the US as well.  As so the glue I totally agree with using the duo!!! I was using the kryolan adhesive and it was poop I like the duo much much better!!!!!

Apr 25 06 06:04 pm Link

Model

CassandraLorien

Brooklyn, New York, US

Emily Chen wrote:

I'm in NY and i've seen 90% alchohol in some beauty supply stores. i rarely see it though. you really have to look hard. and i think you're right, i don't think you can get 99% around here

I know they sell it at my school in big bottles for like 3$. ( i'm mentioning it because i see you're in NY)

Apr 25 06 10:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

calibarbb

Vinings, Georgia, US

Tthesexy wrote:
i had a bad experience with them. On my way to a shoot I was leaving my building and one fell off on my cheek and some random guy told me there was something crawling across my face.

LMAO OOOH HAHAHA i wouldve freaked out and really thought something was on me im hella gullable lol

Apr 27 06 06:44 pm Link

Makeup Artist

sevans

They sell 90% alcohol at Target and Rite Aid and several other drug stores (here in Los Angeles anyways.) 99% is harder to find but it is here. Medical supply, Pro makeup stores,and makeup schools.  You have to look for it.

Apr 30 06 02:04 am Link