Forums > General Industry > Who came up with the whole idea of TFP/TFCD?

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

if it werent for my tfp shoots, i wouldnt have gotten a part in a fashion show! smile 

and I too, think tfp benefits both model and photographer.  ugh, why do people keep naggin about this?  Either you are willing to do TFP or you're not...if someone asks you for tfp and you dont want to do it, just move on.  there's always the delete button folks...

and Yiselle, I pay make up artists when I have TFP shoots! smile  Although, I bring my own foundation and concealer lol

Mar 14 06 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

DAN DOYLE STUDIO wrote:
I dunno, but tfcd does not pay my mortgage payment, doe it pay yours? LOL!!!!!
"testing" used to be a term given by "THE agencies" for " The AGENCY girls".....
Nowadayzzz...........it has been this perverse new twist and tagged tfcd.......
Everyone and ANYone thinks the world is OWED to them for FREE??????????
getting invited to shoot for a GOOD PRO photogs book free is an exception..... NOT the norm!!!!
I think it was started by some wannabee PRO?????... "photog" with his new digital camera, in some creepy motel room in east pituchville somewhere, offering his services to models at no charge?????

Get a clue, no one is getting anything for free, the model is investing her time and the photographer is investing his time, cash is not always necessary as payment.

Mar 14 06 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

Porchia wrote:
Who cares who came up with it...it helps model and photographer so what is the big deal?

The big deal is people have to have something to gripe about, guess this was all the OP could come up with.  Testing (TFP) as been around since photography, it's here, it's not going anywhere do them or don't but quit beatin' this dead horse.

Mar 14 06 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Tim Hammond wrote:
It's called barter...........Edit............you'll be surprised how smoothly it can work.

Isn't that something like what the governement has done to the people as well?

Either way, I enjoyed reading this and I created TFP and am proud of it and refuse to give it up!

Mar 14 06 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

Jack D Trute wrote:

Ah,  bull crap.

TFP has become such a perverted term that the connection with barter is no longer there.
People expect too much from each other and it has nothing to do with an honest exchange of goods or services.

I have a list of those who asses I want to kick and the top two are.

1.  Who thought up the idea of working for a living.
2.  Who ever thought up TFP

(And if you did not know Bull crap is some mighty big crap)

Sounds like you have some issues to get thru...possibly before anyone takes you seriously as a photographer.
Like it or not, TFP/TFCD is a barter of services.  I have a feeling you'll get more out of it if you put more into it.

Mar 14 06 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

DAN DOYLE PHOTOGRAPHY

Albany, New York, US

Mar 14 06 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

DAN DOYLE PHOTOGRAPHY

Albany, New York, US

Mar 14 06 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

DAN DOYLE PHOTOGRAPHY

Albany, New York, US

Mar 14 06 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

DAN DOYLE PHOTOGRAPHY

Albany, New York, US

BasementStudios wrote:

Get a clue, no one is getting anything for free, the model is investing her time and the photographer is investing his time, cash is not always necessary as payment.

ummmmmmmm" GET A CLUE"?????? WTF?
I think i spent the last 17yrs as a fulltime pro getting a "clue"......have you?
Seems you have not had to pay for heat or overhead BILLS in a 4,500 sq.ft .studio yet either?
When and if ya do, you will of course want to get paid for your time WORKing....
Playtime testing is always cool and part of the creative process.... Testing is where 90% of my favorite images come from....It simply seems out of control from Most PRO photogs standpoint.... I am sure some here will agree.... and seems like you do not....oh well cannot please everyone...

Mar 14 06 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

00siris wrote:
It's not the notion of TFP that's the problem. It's this new paradigm of internet models/photographers.

Why are they a problem, exactly?

Mar 15 06 12:01 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Mar 15 06 12:05 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

DAN DOYLE STUDIO wrote:
I think it was started by some wannabee PRO?????... "photog" with his new digital camera, in some creepy motel room in east pituchville somewhere, offering his services to models at no charge?????

I don't think D. Brian's camera is new...

J/K DB  wink

Mar 15 06 12:05 am Link

Model

SithVixen

Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

I guess everyone has explained their concept of TFP as in trading.  I don't think it is all necessarily ego. 

I can understand why a photographer would want to charge after spending thousands of dollars on equipment for a business.  I don't fault anyone that.  Especially if the model he is working with has invested very little into her work in comparison. 

However, the one thing you have forgotten from your point of view as a photographer is that not all models have minimum investment.  Some of us models also spend a great deal of money and travel time to work with photographers.
Use me as an example.

I design pretty much all of my costumes and regular clothing or buy them.  I'm not talking halloween here.  Some of these costumes take me 50+ hours to create and materials can become very costly.  LIke a photographers camera, I also have a $200 sewing machine and a $200 serger, plus an iron, tools and other necessary equipment to make these items.  I could easily buy a more expensive sewing machine but it does the trick.  I've even purchased costumes for over $1000 or bought interesting outfits. 

Then add on all the different makeup that I have.  A color or style for every costume.  Hell I even have blacklight makeup.  Don't forget wigs too.  Buying quality accessories or makeup isn't cheap. 

So I could easily say that I have just as much money invested into my costumes and makeup as any photographer has invested in his equipment.  Why should I be viewed as a freeloader?

I have every right to charge a photographer to use me as a model, but I don't always.  I do this for the fun and art.  No different from any photographer who does it for the art and also money also. 

I trade my time because I like to see beautiful pictures of my costumes and I think that photographers like to have unique pictures for their portfolio.  Sometimes I even do normal photographs (bikini/fashion) for a photographer in trade for having him take pictures of one of my costumes.  We both get what we want. 

In terms of travel expenses, I am willing to share those too.  If one of us travels over 40 miles to see the other, then we split gas and provide refreshments. 

I can respect someone's desire to make money with their camera, just as I can respect a model who wants someone to pay for her use.  Everyone has an investment here.

So don't view photographers as a victim of TFP, getting the raw end of the deal.  I've seen enough iffy photography on this website to know that sometimes the models get the rough end of the stick.

Mar 16 06 08:18 am Link