Forums > General Industry > Model Fixation

Model

Enigma1

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Recentlly have noticed that photographers can become fixated on shooting a certain model to the exclusion of everyone else he may have photographed.  So much so that their whole port becomes photos of that one model only.   Even if the model is outstanding, when a photographer does this it appears that they have lost perspective about their objective and the other dimensions of their work with others.

I am sure the same thing can happen to a model whereas she only feels comfortable shooting with a particular photographer.  However, it is limits their images to only one photographer's perspective.

Both model and photographer are limiting themselves and are doing themselves a disservice to grow and see other perspectives.

Anyone feeling me?

Mar 12 06 10:07 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

you miss the point.

when we find a reliable model ; we are in heaven!  shoot shoot shoot
when we find a model that inspires us ; shoot shoot shoot
when we find a model with creative ideas ;shoot shoot shoot

find  your own path dame !

Mar 12 06 10:38 am Link

Photographer

RayAndrews

Dallas, Texas, US

To me, it depends on which photographs stand out the most; if it's one particular model that's not a bad thing.  You do build a rapport with certain models, and it shows in the photos you create with them.  I don't feel you lose objectivity, it just means you tend to work better with some models over others...it works both ways.

Mar 12 06 10:38 am Link

Model

Enigma1

absolutely there is a rapport that you build with certain ones over others but i don't want to limit myself and ideas to one.  i should push myself to explore other photographers and maybe, just maybe, i can find one that i can build just as good a rapport as i may have with one i favor.   

i may discover that i may not have a very good rapport with a photographer but the images he creates are amazing.  but i would never know unless i pushed myself to try.

venture out and explore....

Mar 12 06 11:16 am Link

Photographer

RayAndrews

Dallas, Texas, US

toxXcity wrote:
absolutely there is a rapport that you build with certain ones over others but i don't want to limit myself and ideas to one.  i should push myself to explore other photographers and maybe, just maybe, i can find one that i can build just as good a rapport as i may have with one i favor.   

i may discover that i may not have a very good rapport with a photographer but the images he creates are amazing.  but i would never know unless i pushed myself to try.

venture out and explore....

Some times that's easier said than done...I have worked with many models and you just know when things are "clicking" so to speak and when you're stuggling to get what you want out of the shoot...the effort is there, just not the results.  I would not have known it if I didn't work with them.

Mar 12 06 11:30 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Isn't it more about the image than the model?  It sometimes could be a matter of convenience in that a particular model becomes familiar with the photographer's workflow and style.  The model is just a prop to convey a series of ideas.  It's easier and more effective practice to work with a set of tools and resources for a while to explore specific themes rather than to constantly jump around changing everything.  It is also easier to get feedback for improvement if the portfolio context is limited to a general style. Much of what is on MM is practice and learning anyway.  It seems both photogs and models often show a specific theme or style that is in development rather than showing the breadth of their work.

Mar 12 06 12:39 pm Link

Model

Enigma1

When I come across a model or photographer's model that is limited to one model/idea/theme....I usually think that
1.) that is the 1st professional shoot they have ever done or
2.) they are limited as to ideas
3.) no one else wants to work with them.

I more than anyone agree that I am most comfortable with a few that I have come across but it is my best interest to be taken seriously as a model that I diversify.  I need to show images that I can do the All American Girl Next Door or be a complete All American Bad Ass.   I won't know if I keep shooting with the same person.

Mar 12 06 01:24 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

toxXcity wrote:
When I come across a model or photographer's model that is limited to one model/idea/theme....I usually think that
1.) that is the 1st professional shoot they have ever done or
2.) they are limited as to ideas
3.) no one else wants to work with them.

I more than anyone agree that I am most comfortable with a few that I have come across but it is my best interest to be taken seriously as a model that I diversify.  I need to show images that I can do the All American Girl Next Door or be a complete All American Bad Ass.   I won't know if I keep shooting with the same person.

I think it all depends on the purpose of the model/ photog/ stylist for using MM.  Many of the serious ones have their own web sites that are used for general promotion.  You should look beyond just the pics, read the bios, and look at the web site links to make sure that you are not dismissing the pros who are just using MM to share and develop current work concepts.

From a model's perspective, you should be able to get a wide variety looks even with one decent photog - that's your job as a model.

Mar 12 06 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
you miss the point.

when we find a reliable model ; we are in heaven!  shoot shoot shoot
when we find a model that inspires us ; shoot shoot shoot
when we find a model with creative ideas ;shoot shoot shoot

find  your own path dame !

You really can't put it any better than this...

Mar 12 06 01:45 pm Link