Forums > General Industry > IS B and H the best place

Photographer

New York, New York, US

I do not find B&H rude.  Once in a great moon but hey maybe that is because I am just a nasty prick myself.

B&H is good and organized but sometimes overwhelming just to pick up one or two things.
Questions can be answered now and I have returned items both for reasons of not working or just cause I felt like it and never had an issue.

I find all stores rude at times.   People just have bad days everywhere.  The issue with B&H is that you meet so many in one purchase.

When I used film the specials were great for cheap film to play with.   The large selection is great.

But over the years I have shopped at Adorama more I think due to location and easeir to get in and out quickly.
Also had a special deal for exchanging poloroid coupons for equipment.  Sweet.

Adorama and B&H are basically the same in price.   Check back and forth to make sure.

Calumet is fine but I prefer Alkit for a buying film that has been tested if not buying from  a lab.   Customer service and selection in both.  Prices a bit higher.

J&R is good also if downtown or buying other music equipment also.

Ken hanson,  who had a high service store but closed it has reopened a small place on 53rd.
He can adapt items for you and highest respect for service.  Small shop though.

Also Flash clinic and Fotocare on 21st both,  are high service places.

Mar 11 06 11:42 am Link

Photographer

bob cooley

New York, New York, US

Ever since I moved to NY, I've gone to either B&H or Adorama.

I prefer Adorama (they will usually beat B&H prices for you,  but they don't have the same size store or staff as B&H).

CAVEAT:  This is only for going to the actual store, not for mail-order...

When I had my studio in Grand Rapids (MI), I used to order mostly from Helix and Calumet in Chicago (both are chicagoland-based stores), and occasionally would order from B&H. 

Customer Service / Sales in the Chicago stores is MUCH better, and they don't play the "don't have it in stock, but will sit on your credit card order anyways" game.
Chicago stores cost (on an average) 5% more, but I was happy to pay that knowing that my item was actually in stock, and for the increased customer service.  (I always found it entertaingly insulting when I would call a NY store, wanting to spend several thousand on equipment, and having the salesman act like he was doing me a favor and I should be grateful - lol)  - yeah, and now I live here :-)

So If you live in NY, Adorama for price, but B&H for a huge showroom.  Be VERY careful when ordering from NY stores that are not really well-known.   There are a bunch of NY camera "stores" that advertise in the back of shutterbug, photogenic, on the net, etc. that seem to have really good prices.  They are all shams.  They will hang your order for months, not have items in stock, and ship alternative items instead, insist on "upselling" before they will ship your order, and are horrible on refunds.  Caveat Emptor

Mar 11 06 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Tony Culture Photoz

Bloomfield, New Jersey, US

images by elahi wrote:
to buy equipment in NY?

They have lots of variety, but if you know what you want, you may get good prices at UniquePhoto in NJ.

Mar 11 06 11:54 am Link

Photographer

FotoArcade

San Diego, California, US

A decade ago when I was in college and buying lenses and looking for the best price, I had a couple of bad experiences with the places that advertised in the back of photo magazines so I swore them all off. In the past few years, I couldn't find what I wanted locally so I went to the the B&H website and found it organized and informative with a great selection. I gave them a try and I've been happy with them. I've also ordered from Beach Photo so it depends on what you are shopping for. If you are reluctant, check out www.resellersratings.com for customer reviews and comments.

Mar 11 06 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

Sammy's Camera is another great retailer, both in person and online.  But I also go to both B&H and Adorama regularly.

Mar 11 06 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

Charlie Schmidt

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Kevin Russo wrote:
I have nothing against B&H however I prefer to shop at my local photo stores and support my community. If it cost me a little more money it's woth it if I have a problem I can go right back to them. you can also buils a repore with store and network. I shop locally.

Agreed!!!!!

Mar 11 06 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

Calumet is the best for customer service, period.  Something out of stock in one store? They have 9 more in the U.S. that they can get the item from. Travelling (even globally)? They have a rental network that can set you up with whatever you need. Calling on the phone? You'll actually get someone to take the time to assist you and answer your questions, even if they sense you are not going to buy.

Calumet prices are not too far off of B&H, and sometimes are better on some things. B&H also carry gray market products which likely gives them the room to mark down the price of U.S. market items. Also on price...I thought everyone in NY haggled on price?  Why not try that here?

I guess a loyal customer who shops with any one particular store will say they are the best, so if there are people raving about different places, there must be some merit to all of them. guess it just depends on what you want from your photo dealer.

Mar 12 06 08:45 am Link

Photographer

jac3950

Freedom, New Hampshire, US

I'll throw in the mix, for what it's worth...

My favorite phone/internet source for studio equipment, cameras, film, darkroom supplies, etc. has been Zeff Photo Supply, located just outside Boston, Mass. I've always great service from them, and they have always been helpful and forthcoming on the phone. Being in Maine, I have gotten 24 hour delivery in most instances.

Mar 12 06 08:55 am Link

Photographer

George Rice Photography

North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada

probably no such thing as "the best". However, I have never had a problem with B&H. I order and about a week later its on my door step. Nice, very nice. Prices are pretty good. You can sometimes find a great deal on their web page if you look around. I usually compair pricing with other stores.  But all in all, no problems shipping to Canada

Mar 12 06 08:57 am Link

Photographer

Duncan

New York, New York, US

B&H and Adorama are the best prices and most heavily stocked camera store in the WORLD !

Mar 12 06 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Feliciano

New York, New York, US

I agree with most responses: B&H and Adorama are great, but they are both really busy. You should know what you want. Adorama tends to have slightly better prices on lighting gear, maybe they have good manufacturer arrangements since they rent a lot.

Both will take care of you though, it's the pushy customers behind you shooting looks of death. Don't bother going on Friday or Sunday; go early during the week.

Other stores:
J&R is decently stocked and basically charges retail on high-end stuff. I got my D200 there since they had it in stock and I wasn't going to find it for less any where else.

Alkit is great for used stuff, their prices are really good, check their ebay store. They rent as well. I got some new lighting equipment there since there was a Mamiya Day sale.

K&M is near my studio so I try to support them as much as possible, if no one else have something for less, I try to buy it there. And I get my seamless there. They also rent.

Mar 12 06 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Chuck Holliday

New York, New York, US

i love B&H but these days i shop online from them as opposed to "walking up the hill" because i rarely get helped in the actual store (maybe because i'm a young black male who looks like he came out of a rap video, lol), but i do like their style of the store how you can want to get something and they send it to the cashier while you continue to shop.

J&R is okay (in-store wise), i feel more of a racial divide in there, but their camera section is being renovated so its merely a shell of what it used to be, and alot of the good sales reps and good stuff is in the computer section on the third floor at the other branch of the store (across from staples).

alot of times, its better to order from them online as opposed to going directly because of the insane traffic, odd hours (B&H closes right after rush hour), and the constant madness, especially in J&R.

its funny because B&H's prices just got competitive recently, they were never as "price friendly" back in the day but they have the most depth in terms of variety

Mar 12 06 05:22 pm Link