Forums > General Industry > old pics in portfolio?

Model

melodyH

Gulf Breeze, Florida, US

i am trying to figure out if its okay to use old pics in my portfolio...if my look is still pretty much the same(except for lighter hair), but the pics are 3 years old .... well, how old is too old?
no, they are not in my portfolio now...
i would like to know what others think about this. at what point should a photo be retired?

Mar 10 06 03:30 pm Link

Model

Ivy Vynes

Toledo, Ohio, US

I really don't know... I have an old pic in my port too, but it's mainly to show what my hair looks like curly.... that and it's a pic I still love.

Mar 10 06 03:32 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I have old photos in my portfolio to help show variety.

Mar 10 06 03:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

I think that as long as it shows variety ,looks current  and is a strong image you can use things no matter what the date, as long as if your the model and you havent changed your self too much..I have images that are a couple of years old but because I am a make-up artist I dont have to worry so much about "me changeing" rather to show off what I can do. smile. Mandy of Deadly Design Make-up Artistry

Mar 10 06 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

melodyH wrote:
i am trying to figure out if its okay to use old pics in my portfolio...if my look is still pretty much the same(except for lighter hair), but the pics are 3 years old .... well, how old is too old?
no, they are not in my portfolio now...
i would like to know what others think about this. at what point should a photo be retired?

My opinion is this:  a model's portfolio should show the kind of work that she is interested in and that she is capable of.  If your look hasn't drifted, and if the style is still something that interests you, I say old images are fine.

Mar 10 06 05:42 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

There are different POVs... my 2 cents: model and model in the portfolio should look alike... so if your hair is shorter or longer, a different color, weight has changed or body fat has changed, you've had a nose job, etc. then take those out and put photos in that look like you smile 3 years is a long time (esp. for a girl going from say 12 to 15) but you're 30 so maybe you still look the same smile

Mar 10 06 05:48 pm Link

Model

melodyH

Gulf Breeze, Florida, US

i appreciate everyones input.  thanks!

Mar 11 06 01:39 pm Link

Model

Charles Lincoln

Brooklyn, New York, US

I have older pix in my portfolio as I haven't really done any work in the last three years or so. I became very focused on getting my band as strong as it could be and so I didn't take the time to do any outside activities. Now that the band is doing fairly well, I wanted to get back into it. But if I were to only have recent shots all of my pictures would be onstage or candid shots, as all the official modelling I did was years ago.

So, I included both.

Mar 11 06 02:02 pm Link