Forums > General Industry > OverPowered by Perfection

Model

InDecisivE

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Ok.. So as I glance through this site, I see a lot of models that have been transformed.. It's what they are capable of 'looking like'... Or for some what they look like all the time smile

Now maybe it's just me!
I'm a confident girl, I like who I am now and what i'm growing to be.. But as a model I feel there is this haunting shadow of 'self conciousness'. You always have to be at your best, and question whether your best is of standards...
You always have to walk into a shoot being immediately judged on your appearance. And Rightfully so - that's the job I applied for and that's the job I got..
So, I think I'll do this, and maybe i'm crazy but whatever! smile

I recently took this picture of myself.. What is it?!.. Well it's me! - No makeup, a quick blow dry, no bra and a white tank top. Imperfections and all. I want to add it to my portfolio.
Why?!.. Well 1, because yes, I am a little nutty.. and 2 - I no longer want to deal with that problem.. I have a lot of beautiful pictures and by choice i'd rather display those but I think if I can get rid of the 'oh shit my face isn't perfect, i have blemishes, blah blah blah - I am also a real person.. And show that to people - Maybe the walking in, which is sometimes overwhelming could be ignored.

When I think of a model I think - perfect.
And I would like to say i'm not perfect! - And it is true that our imperfections make us beautiful and that for the most part we are usually trying to create perfection - whether it started that way or not..
So to skip all the fun but time consuming test shoots, and "is that what you really look like, is that who you are, i need to see what i'm working with" - why not just throw it up there and then people have a starting point.

Befor I throw this picture out there.. I'd like to hear any responses...
I mean do you just want the outcome ?!.. Do you only want to know what I can do, or is it important to see the transformation!?...
I dunno - thoughts plz & thank you.

Mar 10 06 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

Some photograhers insist on seeing the "unvarnished" version of you in a photograph - hence the call still for polaroids.

Its nice to see both - the natural as well as the painted version for potential.

Mar 10 06 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

"perfection" has never interested me.  i'd rather have a real, live person than some agency replicant anytime.

...but then again, i'm a perv, so nevermind.

Mar 10 06 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Hoot

Picayune, Mississippi, US

InDecisivE wrote:
I recently took this picture of myself.. What is it?!.. Well it's me! - No makeup, a quick blow dry, no bra and a white tank top. Imperfections and all. I want to add it to my portfolio.

I mean do you just want the outcome ?!.. Do you only want to know what I can do, or is it important to see the transformation!?...

I wish every model I was considering working with had a shot like that in her port.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I think it's a great idea.

I've only met a couple of "perfect" looking models, and I've delt with hundreds. One was also a perfect sweetheart, and the other, umm, well, wasn't. The "wasn't" only got one shoot, and that ended early.

The perfect sweetie got lots of work, and great references that led to more work. But not all that much more than other, less-than-perfect, models I've associated with that had great attitudes and professionalism.

Gotta love an awesome make-up artist!

Mar 10 06 04:33 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

i personally like to have real people in my port I am not interested in over photo shopped images if I cant see pors in the skin I dont want em in my book. I have even had the proble with one photographer who actually had the odasity to change the make -up I did . He changes the shape the colour and he also changed her eye shape too. I was kinda pissed becasue I well didnt do the make-up and thats what my book is all about. I have even had people make comments like " too bad the eye shadows are not as  blended as well as your other work"  And this photographer will NOT give me the original pirctures. what ever I am just upfron with people while they are looking at my book and tell them that the conecpt is mine but not the eye make-up smile
I like to see thinks like little marks, freckels things that make people unique. smile Maddonna has a huge tooth gap and cindy crawford has a big old mole and we love them smile . Mandy of Deadly Design Make-up Artistry

Mar 10 06 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

It's pretty common that models have "polaroids"--e.g., just shots of themselves, head or full-body, with hair pulled back, no make-up, no touch-ups.

If "real-world" agencies consider this important in their decisions who who to represent (and they apparently do), I see no reason why online portfolios should only show the painting and not the canvas. Just like disclosing piercings, tatoos, scars, and shooting limits-honesty is the best policy.

Mar 10 06 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

When we shot, you insisted on professional makeup.   It looked good of course, but I would have been as happy shooting just the girl.  Or maybe just the girl with eyes and lips showing.  I've asked this question before and have photographed a few women with no makeup.  It doesn't really work well, actually. But perfection isn't important at all to me.  Beauty is, but that beauty doesn't have to hide all the humanity.  They coexist nicely. 

We'll do one shoot with little makup and show the girl and nothing but the girl.  Flaws, such as they are, and all.

-Don

P.S.  I keep thinking about that Helmut Newton Playboy book I reviewed awhile back.  It was so unlike him to fail to idealize and I thought at the time it was because of his unfamiliar use of color.  Thinking about it now, Newton just wasn't so incompetent that he couldn't get it right.  He had a reason.  It might have been a quiet protest against having to take a Playboy assignment in the prescribed color, or it may have been a way of simply showing women as they are.  I don't know, but I can't get it out of my mind either.

Mar 10 06 08:42 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

InDecisivE wrote:
Ok.. So as I glance through this site, I see a lot of models that have been transformed.. It's what they are capable of 'looking like'... Or for some what they look like all the time smile

Now maybe it's just me!
I'm a confident girl, I like who I am now and what i'm growing to be.. But as a model I feel there is this haunting shadow of 'self conciousness'. You always have to be at your best, and question whether your best is of standards...
You always have to walk into a shoot being immediately judged on your appearance. And Rightfully so - that's the job I applied for and that's the job I got..
So, I think I'll do this, and maybe i'm crazy but whatever! smile

Why?!.. Well 1, because yes, I am a little nutty.. and 2 - I no longer want to deal with that problem.. I have a lot of beautiful pictures and by choice i'd rather display those but I think if I can get rid of the 'oh shit my face isn't perfect, i have blemishes, blah blah blah - I am also a real person.. And show that to people - Maybe the walking in, which is sometimes overwhelming could be ignored.

When I think of a model I think - perfect.
And I would like to say i'm not perfect! - And it is true that our imperfections make us beautiful and that for the most part we are usually trying to create perfection - whether it started that way or not..
So to skip all the fun but time consuming test shoots, and "is that what you really look like, is that who you are, i need to see what i'm working with" - why not just throw it up there and then people have a starting point.

I haven't read this whole thread, YET, but I want to say I relate sooo much. It is a heavy burden to carry when people think you are perfect.

Mar 10 06 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Angel Tara wrote:
...It is a heavy burden to carry when people think you are perfect.

Err...Angel...you...are...errr...perfect.  smile

Mar 10 06 09:06 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I have one very clear photo of my face with little makeup/photoshop (you can even see my freckles, which almost always get completely blown out), but if people want something more candid and/or everyday (no makeup, jeans & tshirt, etc), they'll just have to visit my personal website.  I don't think polaroid style snapshots would do my portfolio any good... I do occasionally email some of them out (along with professional shots) to potential collaborators, but that's about it.

Mar 13 06 02:17 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

lll wrote:
Err...Angel...you...are...errr...perfect.  smile

♥

Mar 13 06 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

InDecisivE wrote:
Ok.. So as I glance through this site...

When I think of a model I think - perfect....

When I think of a model, I don't think perfect.  I just try and visualize the perfect look.  I think that's a distinct difference.  There seems to be a prevailing idea that to model one must be flawlessly gorgeous and you will always look your best.  Sometimes the theme may actually require the model to look somewhere south of perfect.  Incredible/engaging/unforgetable imagery aren't always the ones that have those sickeningly beautiful people in them. 

Case in point, I saw model with this photo of her on the ground against a padded wall, hair messed up, make-up smeared, dressed in a straight jacket with this smile and gleam in her eye that was absolute insanity.  Certainly she was beautiful as some of her other shots showed, but that photo wasn't about traditional beauty, it was about the beauty of the idea.  Sure, this model had looked better but it was a shot I'll never, ever forget.

Now if the route you are taking with your modeling is one that will always depict you as beautiful, just know that there will always be someone younger or older, taller, with a firmer butt, with perkier breasts, with longer hair, etc... but they will never be more "perfect" for a shot that needs your look than you.  None of us should get preoccupied with what we don't have or how we don't measure up.

Mar 13 06 02:41 pm Link