Forums > General Industry > the term "plus sized model"

Photographer

ThefStopsHere

Olympia, Washington, US

If a female foot model is 5'10", 135# but has a size 14 shoe... would that make her a "plus size" model?

Mar 10 06 01:03 pm Link

Model

Adria W.

Sacramento, California, US

I'm no expert, but I doubt it. That just means she has larger than average feet. She is 5'10"...Maybe she needs the extra foot length for balance.

Mar 10 06 01:21 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

If she wore a size 14 dress, she's be on the small end of Plus Size.  (I think most are 5'10"-5'11" and a size 16.)  At 135 lbs... sounds like a 4/6?  That is a lot smaller than 16.

Mar 10 06 03:45 pm Link

Model

melodyH

Gulf Breeze, Florida, US

actually, i have done a bit of plus-size. it all starts at a size 10...seems strange since size 10 is not a plus size, but i dont control it.  a large foot...well, doesnt make one plus-size...but may work great for some fetish shots!!! lol.

Mar 10 06 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Ian Weintraub wrote:
If a female foot model is 5'10", 135# but has a size 14 shoe... would that make her a "plus size" model?

No, it would make her Bigfoot.

Mar 10 06 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

at what point do you become too big to model?

this is serious question! really!

Mar 10 06 03:51 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
at what point do you become too big to model?

this is serious question! really!

If I am anything to go by, there's no such thing as "too big," full stop.  The answer depends on what kind of modeling you're talking about.  I am absolutely "too big" for runway (the image makes me giggle), or fitness (except maybe as a "before" picture) or most commercial (though the Snapple lady was pretty chunky), but I can do stock if I want to, and as an art model I can pretty much be whomever I like.

More and more I am starting to think that questions relating to modeling and photography that don't also include what kind of modeling or photography are being referred to really won't garner meaningful answers.

Mar 10 06 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Hoot

Picayune, Mississippi, US

Shyly wrote:
More and more I am starting to think that questions relating to modeling and photography that don't also include what kind of modeling or photography are being referred to really won't garner meaningful answers.

Bingo! If people would stop and think (or be more specific in the first place) there would be lots less drama.

Excellent observation, dare we hope that people will heed it!

To the OP; nope,  shoe size has nothing to do with designating any kind of main-stream model other than shoe models, who are mostly size 6.5.

Mar 10 06 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

ThefStopsHere

Olympia, Washington, US

ok.. what about a size 15??

Mar 10 06 06:48 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Is she a clown?  I hear Ringling Bros pays very well!  big_smile  LOL

Mar 10 06 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Ian Weintraub wrote:
ok.. what about a size 15??

Dress size 15 is for short girls (under 5'6").  If she were taller she would wear a 14 or 16.  Consequently, no, a size 15 girl is not a plus model, because plus models have to be tall.

If you are still on shoe size (you can't be after all this, can you?) please re-read the thread.  Shoe size has nothing to do with "plus model".  Nothing.

Mar 10 06 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

Matt Kaiser Images

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as the old saying goes...

but still, i'm a 6'3 guy and I have a size 14 foot...i'm a little creeped out that a woman would have the same size foot as me.

Different strokes for different folks

Mar 10 06 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Deucalion wrote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as the old saying goes...

but still, i'm a 6'3 guy and I have a size 14 foot...i'm a little creeped out that a woman would have the same size foot as me.

Different strokes for different folks

ummmmm you do know that a 14 size shoe is a different size for a woman. Not the same as for a man. As for the original question. What does a size shoe have to do with wieght? A woman can have long feet and be skinny.

Mar 11 06 12:45 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

TXPhotog wrote:

Dress size 15 is for short girls (under 5'6").  If she were taller she would wear a 14 or 16.  Consequently, no, a size 15 girl is not a plus model, because plus models have to be tall.

If you are still on shoe size (you can't be after all this, can you?) please re-read the thread.  Shoe size has nothing to do with "plus model".  Nothing.

No, odd sized are junior's cuts. They're not shorter, but they are narrower in the hip/thigh thaneven (women's) sizes.

But this was not a serious thread anyway. I just thought I'd say that.

Mar 11 06 01:00 am Link

Model

The_N_Word

New York, New York, US

Ian Weintraub wrote:

How big is her penis?

Mar 11 06 01:02 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Are there plus sized male models?

Not that I know of.

Something to think about.

Mar 11 06 01:09 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

a size 14 foot is HUGE!  but it doesnt make her a plus model.  at 135 shes probably not fashion material but too small to be plus.  135 at 5'10 is thin for a normal woman of this height but we arent talking normal here, were talking about models

Mar 11 06 11:23 am Link

Photographer

ThefStopsHere

Olympia, Washington, US

Nerlande wrote:

How big is her penis?

bigger than mine!

Mar 11 06 12:00 pm Link