Forums > General Industry > age and signing with an agency...

Model

SaraElisabeth

New York, New York, US

I know younger is preferred. I dont plan to lie about my age, tho I am 25 and not a person has reccomended I tell the truth. I just take this too seriously to jerk anyone around.
Do you think being this age is a hindrance to work or signing? Do you know of any agencies who will sign past 22? (I think blush does, but they are in CT)

Any comments or discussion on this welcome.

Jun 28 05 03:51 am Link

Model

StaciF

New York, New York, US

What type of agency-Fashion in NYC-no way I was too old at 18 for most of them-Commercial yes as long as you have what they are looking for.........IT doesn't hurt to go to the open calls or send your pictures the worst that will happen is you will get a no thank you, your not_________________.I have adopted a i will only tell the truth if they ask policy-so I won't lie but if they don't ask I won't volenteer.........

Jun 28 05 06:42 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Commercial print primetime for women is 24 to 39 years old.

Lookie here.

From the link:

For instance, using this table you find that only 9.1% of all commercial print jobs are for young girls in the 17-23 year old category. The highest percentage of these are Caucasian, but that still means that 96% of all commercial print work is NOT for "pretty young white girls".

Jun 28 05 06:54 am Link

Model

Zoe

Palm Beach, Florida, US

well, from my personal experience, yep, i would guess you'd be too old for NY fashion agencies...

i am signed with the lifestyle (commercial) division of Elite.  (height and age was an issue).  bottom line, if you have what they want, your age is non-important.  when you go on castings, if they ask, you can state a range (like  say 22-28) and pick a number in the middle.  your agent can help with this...it's a matter of how old you *look*.

when you say 19, or 25, or 43, for example, your mind will automatically 'assume' what the girl looks like...clients work the same way.

the need for a young fashion girl is so that they don't spend all that time developing you when you only have a good year or 2 left before getting pushed out by younger girls.  yeah, it sucks, but that's what i've learned.

i agree with the previous poster, though, go to the open calls anyway, it is the only way to know.  sending in pictures (unless they kick a-- and they want/need your look) are not likely to get much response.  again, my personal experience, your results may vary.  wink

good luck and give 'em h--!

Zoe

Jun 28 05 06:56 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

YOu could try for fashion since you are tall enough but going forward in the lifestyle/commercial direction is more logical.

If you are meant to be a fashion editorial or even a catalog model then you will be found.  They will find you.

But work towards the commercial arena.

Jun 28 05 10:41 am Link