Forums > General Industry > How did you end up a Photographer/Model???

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

My dad was one of those parents that took horrible pictures. After the age of  10, all pics of me stopped.  I took the Bellows Polaroid from my dad and started shooting the pictures myself.  He saw that I was better than him, so he bought me a Minolta Super-8 Movie Camera and an old Bolsey 35mm Still camera. 

Funny, when I chose my profession, my dad was the one that told me to stay in school and get an education so I could get a real job.

I remember the look on his face the first time he saw my first DVD that I had Directed just before he died.  Although he never approved of my choice in careers, he was totally 100% supportive and proud.  I'm just happy he knew it was because of him that I ended up shooting Film/Video and Photography.

Just curious as to how and why everyone is doing what they are doing...

Mar 09 06 06:40 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

Hamza wrote:
Funny, when I chose my profession, my dad was the one that told me to stay in school and get an education so I could get a real job.

That sounds familiar wink

I'm glad your story has a happy ending smile

I never considered modeling a "career" until after I graduated college, was working at NASA and a Page Parkes (Ford aff.) talent scout asked me if I ever considered modeling

Mar 09 06 06:47 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Very cool.

I was a total ham as a kid, and my mom took tons of photos (I was her firstborn).

In 6th grade, I was in a school-sponsored extracurricular modelling club. We learned which colors went well with our skintones, did extremely short faux mannequin sessions at a local mall, and put on a fashion show for the school. When I was in my late teens, I took modelling "classes" at John Casablanca's. I'm not the right height or shape for mainstream modelling but they happily took my money anyway. The only useful things they taught me were how to pluck my eyebrows (I hadn't at all until then) and how to walk a runway.

A few years later, I volunteered to do hair and makeup for a fashion show by a local clothing designer. The model wearing her masterpiece platinum wedding gown flaked out, so I took her place instead. Luckily, the dress fit perfectly.

After that, I did a few more shows for the same designer. Shortly afterwards, a local photographer friend asked me to pose for a project he was working on. I enjoyed it so much that in the following summer, I actively started creating a portfolio.

Now here I am, 5 years later. smile

Mar 09 06 06:48 pm Link

Model

edit: stupid double posting

Mar 09 06 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

ThefStopsHere

Olympia, Washington, US

bad luck!

Mar 09 06 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

WBV Artography

San Antonio, Texas, US

I was running a veterinary clinic and started going blind from diabetes.   After several lasers sugs and a vitrectomy I was blind in the left eye, 20/200 vision in the right and had moved out to run a thourobred farm.   Decoded I wanted images to remind me of things lost once I went blind-could have someone tell me what they saw and remember it.

Started shooting with a Kodak P/S.

Ended up in Michigan helping as a bear hunters guide and shooting a LOT of film-thin is it was noticed I seemed to have an 'eye' for it.

Moved to Florida got in kollege taking photo art courses and shooting...turned into a mix of nature/models and newswork and has kept me sane over the years of other health issues.

It's what got me out of bed after strking in '01 when they thought I'd never walk again-couldn't see NOT being out in the woods shooting so I said 'f*it" and retaught myself.

Mar 09 06 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

No clue.  Dad used to drive us NUTS taking pictures.  Then one day in my 20's I picked one up, and i was hooked.
Funny how things work out.

Mar 09 06 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

San Diego, California, US

An inborn love of psychology, behaviorism and communication arts, mixed with restlessness and entrepreneurialism. A need for creative outlets. Survival in product development & marketing. Mostly, just because I love it.

Mar 09 06 07:48 pm Link

Model

Ian Weintraub wrote:
bad luck!

(sarcasm) Thanks Ian tongue
Is it along the lines of cracking open a Chinese fortune cookie to find no fortune?
Or a blank slip of paper?
Or a dove chocolate promise to read a promise that says, "Exercise!"?

Yes those have all happened... I'm not exactly Miss Lucky sad but maybe those were all an ironic attempt to not believe in superstitions? Am I suffering from a sugar low? (The answer is Yes!)

Mar 09 06 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I liked photography when I was in school, but pretty much dropped it when I graduated.

When the better prosumer digital camerascame out, I picked one up, for vacations, landscapes and golf courses.

Picked up a D100 when they were released. Eventually gave portraits a try and realized I needed some help. Took some workshops and never looked back.

I am fortunate to have a very good real job.

Some day I would like to make money, more as a success indicator than anything else.

Mar 09 06 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

Darrell

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I was too scary looking to model, so I became a photographer  wink

https://www.cameraclubottawa.ca/subdata/241.jpg

Darrell

When I was 7 or 8, I opened my Mom's camera because I wanted to see the pictures then! When I was 13 or 14 I went into a darkroom for the first time and made an 8x10. Seeing the image magically appear in the tray was all I needed to be hooked. I bought my first rangefinder camera at 16, and my first SLR about 2 years later a brand new Pentax Spotmatic II.

I attended Photo College and have worked in some form of photography or lab ever since. There is no cure!

Mar 09 06 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

hmm I tried to model first lmaooo
but I like to eat so that wasn't going to work.

I love the industry and picked up a camera and got to it.
Think im better behind the lens lol

Mar 09 06 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Strange as it may sound. I fell in love w/ having toxic chemicals on my hands when developing film & prints.

Mar 09 06 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Taria Reed

Woodbridge, New Jersey, US

When I was younger, my sister would make me take pictures of her trying on different outfits, hairstyles, or whatever her fancy was. I loved it and even that young I knew how to move her to make her look good. I've since upgraded from my 110 camera and loving every second I get to call myself a photographer.

Taria

Mar 09 06 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

R.J. Walker

Fairmont, Illinois, US

I was always fascinated with photography as a child, and would take all the family photos. In college I was the newspaper editor and had access to several cameras, loads of film and unlimited access to the darkroom. I would photograph beautiful girls on campus and develop their photos on a daily basis. After a short period of time I was in pretty high demand. I then took as many photo courses as possible, and the rest as they say is history.

Mar 09 06 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

I draw ladies as a hobby (and pseudo profession)...    I basically didn't want to step on any photographers' toes - so I would get permission to use their work as reference..  After 2 portraits I found that it just made sense to shoot the models myself...  I figured "Hey - why should the photographer get to have all the fun of shooting beautiful ladies while I sit behind a desk drawing from their leftovers!!!"  and the rest is history...

Mar 09 06 09:31 pm Link

Model

MsMojoRisinBJae

Toledo, Ohio, US

dncphotos wrote:
hmm I tried to model first lmaooo
but I like to eat so that wasn't going to work.

I love the industry and picked up a camera and got to it.
Think im better behind the lens lol

yea, i like to eat alot too.  that's why i love waist cinchers and stuff to hide my tummy.  it's just that darn burrito place on campus!  i'm hooked!  anyways, i moved into this 100 year old building that used to be a convent that now houses a bunch of artists.  i'm a painter and a writer, but we have a really talented photographer here (Visions of Excess) and he had a shooting bug and asked me to model and i had fun shooting with him that day this past july.  so i came to his group shoot in october and i've been shooting regularly ever since then.  i really should have given up that burrito place for lent instead of giving up stuff i never did in the first place...

Mar 10 06 03:14 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

reasons why i got into modeling:

1.  because i'm weird
2.  because i'm a weird looking asian
3.  because i am psychotic
4.  because i love to play dress up
5.  because i love pretty pictures

big_smile

Mar 10 06 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Mar 10 06 03:22 pm Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

When I was in college studying art I took photography classes.  We ended up using each other as models for various projects.  It sort of evolved from there.  I obviously enjoyed the art and the process of photography.  And I was even one of those weirdos that enjoyed spending time in the darkroom and the smell of the chemicals...this may explain alot...lol:-)

Mar 10 06 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

So many different b(o)(o)bies... I want to see them all wink

(except from the fake ones, ewwwww)

Mar 10 06 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

Too timid to rob banks

Mar 10 06 04:12 pm Link

Model

spyro2122

Orlando, Florida, US

I wanted to model since I got my first thing in the mail to be in a beauty pagent.
but my parents said no. Then when I was 16 I got one again and started lookignat all of the different magazines and stuff my parents said be realistic.They told me it would never work. I competed in a swimwear competition and got lkike  16th place but that didnt stop me. I fell in love with modeling and did it off and on for three years now I am earning a living off modeling, eat that mom and dad! Now they are proud to say their daughter is a model.

Mar 10 06 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

I started photographing the images I do because no one else seemingly was taking photos like these.  So, I figured if I wanted to see them, I'd need to be taking them... 6 years later, here I am...  wink

Mar 11 06 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Kiran Patil

Newark, Delaware, US

Let's see...

I modeled nude in college to pay for my text books. Shortly after I shot a few short films and some of my actresses asked me if I'd photograph them nude for their portfolios. That got the ball rolling... I sucked butt back then, but I learned a lot along the way and just look at me now! Hahaha.

Anyway, I think this is how a lot of models and photographers get in to it. So I don't think my story is particularly special.

Mar 11 06 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

TBoudreau Photography

Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

I was 16 and discovered my parents praktika camera and lenses and loved it, from then on just couldnot get enought

Mar 13 06 07:37 am Link

Photographer

michaelrowe photography

Took a photography class in high shool and fell in love with it.  Bought my first used camera ( Pentax K1000) for $85 - still have it.  When it was time to apply for colleges i knew i wanted to study photography and i loved fashion photography so i applied and got accepted at Fashion Inst. of Tech. in NYC, but the program was only 2 years at the time, so i transfered to SU where i did Fine Art Photography/ Art Histroy. But fashion/commerical photography is my first love so i am back doing it.  Even though i am not making a living with it yet, i work in the celebrity photography world right now and i am working with the images so some the top celebrity photographers in the biz.  I LOVE THE PHOTO BUSINESS.  CANT IMAGINE WHAT ELSE I WOULD BE DOING IF NOT THIS.

Mar 13 06 07:52 am Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

In junior high, I found out that if I joined the yearbook staff I could take pics of the cheerleaders (and the other cute girls at school. )

Mar 13 06 08:46 am Link