Forums > General Industry > A real question-even if it sounds kinda dumb

Model

StaciF

New York, New York, US

I was asked what my goals were while modeling....and I don't really have any high aspirations -I just enjoy getting my picture taken and making cool,pretty or unusual pictures...So how do I tell photographers this without sounding like a wannabe or a flake....I just am realistic enough to know it won't be a career choice...but I want to keep going and getting better and better.

Jun 27 05 08:06 pm Link

Model

Mz Nova

Portland, Oregon, US

I am still asking thatI worked with a guy who was grilling me on what i wanted and i said, "potrayed as intelligent but sexy" and hes like, "well, duh, what do you want to want from this shoot?" "uuh, picture for my portfilio" "well duh, what do you want?" i just looked bemused and kept trying to say work with a photographer, get better, not be skanky ho type...he was kinda pissy.

Jun 27 05 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Posted by StaciF: 
I was asked what my goals were while modeling....and I don't really have any high aspirations -I just enjoy getting my picture taken and making cool,pretty or unusual pictures...So how do I tell photographers this without sounding like a wannabe or a flake....I just am realistic enough to know it won't be a career choice...but I want to keep going and getting better and better.

Don't let anyone tell you that a goal of making "pretty pictures" is somehow less noble than a goal of making $100K/yr modeling. I'd suggest that the former is substantially more nobel and positive.

John

Jun 27 05 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

"The same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world!"

Jun 27 05 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

Posted by StaciF: 

Just tell them the truth. You enjoy the creative process of making incedible, interresting, sensual, (insert  your favorite adjetive) images and earning some extra money to boot...   

Jun 27 05 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

You've got mail...

Jun 27 05 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

Posted by Brian Kim: 

DAMN, Brian!!  Been ages since I've heard that or seen Animaniacts... (sp?)  Is that still on out there...    Thanks for the giggle and walk down memory lane..

LOL!!  :-D

Jun 27 05 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by StaciF: 
I just enjoy getting my picture taken and making cool,pretty or unusual pictures...

That sounds like a totally groovy goal!!

Think about it: it liberates you from having to pose for any photographers whose portfolios don't show that they can do cool, pretty, or unusual pictures of you! Always know what you want and go for it!

mjr.

Jun 27 05 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

I've asked that question to prospective models before- the best answer they can give me is that they're interested in being a part of the images and the creative process.  I tend to be non-plused with those who are totally career driven and skipping over the details.

"...ahh think so Brain, but this time you put the trousers on the chimp!"

Jun 27 05 08:56 pm Link

Model

AshleyDanielle

West Hollywood, California, US

Posted by StaciF: 

Tell them you've achieved your goal, which was to become an artists Muse. That is what a photographer is.. an artistic eye behind a camera. The art is  you.

Jun 27 05 09:01 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

Posted by Keith aka Wolfie: 

Posted by Brian Kim: 

DAMN, Brian!!  Been ages since I've heard that or seen Animaniacts... (sp?)  Is that still on out there...    Thanks for the giggle and walk down memory lane..

LOL!!  :-D

Yep, it's still playing...in reruns, of course. We have dish network, and it comes on at night. I think in the early mornings, too.

As for the original posting on this forum... I used to want to model just to make money. That was about 6 years ago, when I was about 50 pounds lighter than I am now. Now, I am motivated to model and show the world that you don't have to conform to a size 4 to be beautiful. I'm not too sure how well I am doing at that, but I'm hoping to atleast make some sort of impact.

Jun 27 05 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by Brian Kim: 

"Narf"

Jun 27 05 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

And now the minority opinion.

The nature of my work really does require that a model have a very clear and well thought-out idea of what she/he wants to accomplish with me.  Anyone who regularly frequents this forum should realize that the accepted language of what we do has been stretched to the point where a model and photographer can say the same word and mean totally different ideas.  It's not uncommon for a model to tell me she wants to do a "fetish" shoot meaning she wants to wear a cute/sexy outfit in front of an abandoned building.  When I hear the word "fetish" I think of how I want to light the skin so that the ligature marks from a [very tight] breast tie will show up best.  To a model, "erotic" may mean anything from a bikini to a bubble bath -- to me it means sitting naked in a hallway on a pile of street clothes with her favorite sex toy or even making love with an SO on the studio floor [yes I've shot both]. 

Sorry to go into graphic detail, but you get my point:  In the field we're in, which is so tied to ideas of sexuality and attraction, there is no such thing as "thinking too much" or being too clear about what both the model and photographer want/expect from a shoot.  Going in blind is the sure path to the next "hesay/shesay" thread.

Jun 27 05 09:25 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by StaciF: 

That sounds like a reasonable, acceptable goal to me. You don't sound like a wannabe or a flake. You sound like someone who cares about the picture.

Jun 27 05 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by theda: 
That sounds like a reasonable, acceptable goal to me. You don't sound like a wannabe or a flake. You sound like someone who cares about the picture.

Theda took the words right out of my mouth!!! (Thief!)

In addition I would just add that the attitude that you present will pretty much keep you working with LEGITIMATE photographers and other REAL industry people.

It's the models have delusions of granduer and insist that they will become a star (without doing their homework) that usually fall victim to the scammers and predators that are so prevelant.

Jun 27 05 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Posted by NovaG: 
I am still asking thatI worked with a guy who was grilling me on what i wanted and i said, "potrayed as intelligent but sexy" and hes like, "well, duh, what do you want to want from this shoot?" "uuh, picture for my portfilio" "well duh, what do you want?" i just looked bemused and kept trying to say work with a photographer, get better, not be skanky ho type...he was kinda pissy.

Actually, I might sound like that kinda pissy guy in your post, only in my case I'd be a pissy chick.

Not to get too serious, but I typically work with models I know and have worked with before.  There is a trust factor, in some cases we are friends, often we both know each other's comfort levels and can trust that the communication is honest.  In short, I'm not a model whore, so taking on someone new is a big deal to me.

I definately want to know what a model wants from a TFP shoot.  I don't want there to me misconceptions about what I want and I don't want there to be misconceptions about what they want.   And I'm not the type that is usually satisfied with simply taking photos of pretty or cute girls and slapping them onto a CD-- I usually have clear goals about why I want to shoot, be it testing film, gear, lighting, concept or a specific theme.  And I want to be sure that the model understands what I want and not get pissy that their voice wasn't heard or needs not met.

Personally, I'd rather press before the session whether it be intentions or the whole chaperone issue rather than during or after the session when the likely outcome will only be disaster and angst.

Jun 28 05 12:10 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

Wish you lived in my neighborhood... I'd be asking you ot come out ot play once a month!!!

Posted by StaciF: 

Jun 29 05 01:42 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Posted by theda: 

Posted by StaciF: 

That's exactly what i think . Some people asked me what I want to do with all these pictures and where I want to be somewhere in the future.
Since I don't think I can rule the world of photography (this is already taken by Apollo Staar yikes) ) I have just one reason for doing it...
Having fun and a good time by expressing myself.

Jun 29 05 01:50 am Link