Forums > General Industry > EXPLAINED: One Month Passed and Still No Pics

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

My dear models,

this topic has been beaten to death so many times it's not even funny. I'll make this brief. If you had a shoot and it seems like a long time has passed yet you still didn't get your pictures, here's WHY:

If I have a shoot and the model is awesome, a pleasure and fun to work with, cooperative and open to any ideas, then as soon as she'd left my door I go to download the pictures and can't wait to start working on them. Why? Because this shoot was so great I can't wait to have all the pictures ready and post them on my site and on MM, DA, and wherever else.

Where as on the other hand if I have a shoot and the model is lame, hard to get along with, seems pissed off with everything, completely useless and without enthusiasm, then as soon as she leaves my door, I put the camera aside and tell to myself - Thank God this session is over. What a waste of time. In such case, it takes me weeks to even download the pictures on the computer, because I'm totally not looking forward to see your face again. It's gonna take me forever to do any postproduction on your picture which will result in prolonged waiting time for you. Do you still want to know why? Why the shoot was a month ago yet you stll have no pictures?

Because you were freaking useless and I have no enthusiasm to work on these images. That's why. If it wasn't so, you'd have half of them in your email box by the time you get home. And the rest within few days, because I wouldn't be able to wait for them either. THAT"S FREAKIN' WHY !!!

Argh...

Mar 09 06 05:56 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

makes plenty of sense....strangely enough

i guess that's why by the time i get home, i already have some of the images editted and waiting for me in my inbox smile

Mar 09 06 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

David Linke

Woodville, Ohio, US

MarkMarek wrote:
My dear models,

this topic has been beaten to death so many times it's not even funny. I'll make this brief. If you had a shoot and it seems like a long time has passed yet you still didn't get your pictures, here's WHY:

If I have a shoot and the model was awesome, a pleasure and fun to work with, cooperative and open to any ideas, then as soon as she'd left my door I go to download the pictures and can't wait to start working on them. Why? Because this shoot was so great I can't wait to have all the pictures ready and post them on my site and on MM, DA, and wherever else.

Where as on the other hand if I have a shoot and the model is lame, hard to get along with, seems pissed off with everything, completely useless and without enthusiasm, then as soon as she leaves my door, I put the camera aside and tell to myself - Thank God this session is over. What a waste of time. In such case, it takes me weeks to even download the pictures on the computer, because I'm totally not looking forward to see your face again. It's gonna take me forever to do any postproduction on your picture which will result in prolonged waiting time for you. Do you still want to know why? Why the shoot was a month ago yet you stll have no pictures?

Because you were freaking useless and I have no enthusiasm to work on your pictures. That's why. If it wasn't so, you'd have half of them in your email box by the time you get home. And the rest within few days, because I wouldn't be able to wait for them either. THAT"S FREAKIN' WHY !!!

Argh...

OK... SO, don't hold back!
Tell us what you really think.

Mar 09 06 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

Wow.

Mar 09 06 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

MirrorImage Photography

Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, US

OMG,  lol.......   that is so freakin true.

Mar 09 06 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

runswithwind

Panglao, Central Visayas, Philippines

I like it when someone tells it like it is................lol

Mar 09 06 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

TEAM

Oxnard, California, US

MarkMarek wrote:
My dear models,

If I have a shoot and the model is awesome, a pleasure and fun to work with, cooperative and open to any ideas, then as soon as she'd left my door I go to download the pictures and can't wait to start working on them. Why? Because this shoot was so great I can't wait to have all the pictures ready and post them on my site and on MM, DA, and wherever else.

Because you were freaking useless and I have no enthusiasm to work on these images. That's why. If it wasn't so, you'd have half of them in your email box by the time you get home. And the rest within few days, because I wouldn't be able to wait for them either. THAT"S FREAKIN' WHY !!!

Argh...

LMFBAO!  PREACH!!!!

Mar 09 06 06:04 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

TEAM_FUZE wrote:
LMFBAO!  PREACH!!!!

Hey it's FUze!

xoxoxoxo

Mar 09 06 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

CrazyIsabelAurora wrote:
makes plenty of sense....strangely enough

i guess that's why by the time i get home, i already have some of the images editted and waiting for me in my inbox smile

I don't doubt it. By the way, I never got an answer back from you after my counter-offer.

Mar 09 06 06:05 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Mikel Featherston wrote:

I don't doubt it. By the way, I never got an answer back from you after my counter-offer.

uh-oh

*shuffles through her inbox to retrieve conversation*

can't find it...can u refresh my memory?? smile

Mar 09 06 06:07 pm Link

Model

-suede-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

What I would think if I were a photographer:

Models:

Its been a month and you still don't have your pictures.  Sorry.  I have a real job too.  The pictures need some editing, but you're not paying me.  XYZ company is.  Take a chill pill.  Relax.  If you want to send some money, I'll get them to you by the end of the week.  Otherwise, you can wait, and when you do get them, you'll either be amazed at the care and amount of time I took to make them phenomonal, or you'll want to cry because no matter how hard I tried, they still suck.

smile

This is why I try and badger photographers for my pics as little as possible.  But I usually get them right away.

Mar 09 06 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

CrazyIsabelAurora wrote:

uh-oh

*shuffles through her inbox to retrieve conversation*

can't find it...can u refresh my memory?? smile

In was in a forum thread... I asked you to marry me... you came back with an hourly rate... I countered with TFP and travel expenses.

Mar 09 06 06:08 pm Link

Makeup Artist

faithb

Washington, District of Columbia, US

That's still raggedy business.  Oh, I'll be a good business man if I like the pics, but I'll be a jerk if I don't?  Way to build your clientele.

Mar 09 06 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

This is true!  My shoot with Jennifer went so well, that in less than a week, I had 40 photos edited,burned to a CD, and in her mailbox.

Mar 09 06 06:14 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Mikel Featherston wrote:

In was in a forum thread... I asked you to marry me... you came back with an hourly rate... I countered with TFP and travel expenses.

oh yeah...i remember!

well, i consulted with my fiance/manager, and he said no sad

wink

Mar 09 06 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

CrazyIsabelAurora wrote:
oh yeah...i remember!

wink

Ooh, your fiance is your manager?  That explains everything!

No wonder you didn't get my message about that job in Bora Bora!

Don't shit where you eat!  (old business rule)

Mar 09 06 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

Jimmyfoto

Los Angeles, California, US

God I love charma!  Especially when it acts through someone!

Mar 09 06 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

MarkMarek wrote:
My dear models,

Argh...

Honestly, I don't get it. If that was the case, why go ahead with the shoot if your heart wasn't in it? and if you did shoot, i think it is just fair that model gets something in return for her even showing up, that is, if it was a tfcd/tfp.  i think it all depends on what you both agreed on before the shoot started. jmho smile

Mar 09 06 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

CrazyIsabelAurora wrote:

oh yeah...i remember!

wink

Oh well, it was worth a shot. wink

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

My models go home with a CD reguardless. And at least something is cleaned up that night or the next day. If it's a first tiem test shoot I sit down with the model and clean up her favorite image whle she watches. Now maybe if it sucked I would stop there. I can't say for sure because I haven't had any that bad. My main problem is the models often don't show so I try to book at least 2 for every shoot. That way I get at least 1!
M1ke

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

While I agree that enthusiasm is a wonderful inspiration, I've got to comment on the down side.  A little bit about being "professional" is being responsible, and that means meeting expectations, whether you are enthusiastic about the sitting or not.

I, for one, try to set expectations about when the images will become available.  Also, the availability of the images is dependent on a lot of factors, including my backlog & future scheduled sittings.

Now, stuff happens.  Like right now, I am afflicted with an occluded vein in my left eye, which makes it difficult to see & to concentrate on visual tasks for long periods of time (think wearing glasses with a big brown smudge over the left eye piece).  So, I'm going to be late.  I've told the model (before the due date) that I was having trouble & asked for her patience.  She has been wonderful about it.

So far, I've never had trouble with a model -- they know that I will eventually get them their images.

But my bottom line -- when you set up a sitting where part or all of the compensation is images, set up the expectation (due date) as part of the sitting negotiations.  Then, regardless of your enthusiasm during & after the sitting, meet your obligation, or at the very least, keep the lines of communications open, letting the model know about your progress & any problems that arise.  Sorry, folks, but that's part of being professional -- moreover, that's part of being a responsible & respectful participant in the photographic process.

Mar 09 06 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Translation: it's OK to be unprofessional and passive-aggressive! Sorry, models... figure it out yourselves!

The bottom line: if you're a model, and you didn't get your CD after a FREAKING MONTH, congratulations... you just worked with a LWE (loser with equipment).

Mar 09 06 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

Zeo

Canton, Ohio, US

kickfight wrote:
Translation: it's OK to be unprofessional and passive-aggressive! Sorry, models... figure it out yourselves!

The bottom line: if you're a model, and you didn't get your CD after a FREAKING MONTH, congratulations... you just worked with a LWE (loser with equipment).

ERM somepeople have thier "real" jobs, so I can see that.  Also the post office does lose thigns (which is why I set a meeting up after the first lost one, I don't like wasting moeny)

Mar 09 06 07:43 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Hamza wrote:
Ooh, your fiance is your manager?  That explains everything!

No wonder you didn't get my message about that job in Bora Bora!

he's fired now!!!

wink

Mar 09 06 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

MarkMarek wrote:
Because you were freaking useless and I have no enthusiasm to work on these images. That's why.

You made an agreement.  Okay, so you're not satisfied that the model kept up his or her end of the deal, but would a professional photographer slag off on his part of the deal because of that?

No!  No, no a professional wouldn't.  Why, the only kind of photographer who would, would be a . . . a . . . GWC strikes again!!!

Mar 09 06 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

I have to agree with faithb and phcorcoran.  Personally, when my pictures turn out like crap, it's rarely the fault of the model.  I'm extremely careful in selecting a model, so I know she looks good before I shoot her.  I sometimes guess wrong, but that's not her fault.  She can show up looking like shit, but that just hasn't happened to me.  I check with photographers the model has worked with and usually know, before I book a shoot whether the model is reliable.  If she doesn't have much experience or isn't motivated, I'll pose her myself.  Whatever it takes to make good pictures.

If the model shows up looking really bad or is so uncooperative that the pictures are crap, I will get them to her more quickly, just to put the whole thing behind me and move on.  But  there is no way that I'm going to punish the model by taking longer to deliver her pictures.  I just won't use her again. 

-Dave

Mar 09 06 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Sorrry, but you made an agreement with the model and agreements neede to be honored. Because you were disapointed with the model or with the session is no excuse. Edit the photos, do the best possible job of it and move on the the next model. An agreement is an agreement, there are no excuses!

A skilled shooter should be able to get acceptable images from anyone. Not providing images because you are pissed off at the model or disapointed in her performance is childish.

Mar 09 06 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
While I agree that enthusiasm is a wonderful inspiration, I've got to comment on the down side.  A little bit about being "professional" is being responsible, and that means meeting expectations, whether you are enthusiastic about the sitting or not.

That sums it up nicely.

Mar 10 06 06:55 am Link

Model

Katarzyna

Fairfield, New Jersey, US

MarkMarek wrote:
My dear models,

Argh...

well now that was not the case with me..... i was so enthusiastic and creative and he really loved the shots bc he kept comenting..... and i am the LEAST rudest person ever so that couldn't have been the case..

so why would he seem so enthusiastic and happy to be shooting with me and then not giv me the pictures in over 2montsh..... o he was so pleased with the pictures he scheduled another shoot iwth me the following week.. but hte day of i was packd and ready to shoot and he didnt evn pick up his fone! now whats up with that? 

2months later he has yet to answer his phone.. all i want is an explanation

Mar 26 06 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

MarkMarek wrote:
because I'm totally not looking forward to see your face again.

Don't photograph faces.  Problem solved. smile

Mar 26 06 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

i'm with you, halfway.
usually after an exceptional shoot i'm racing to the computer to get the pictures ready to show the world, because that's the kind of validation-sponge i am.
but if something takes me a while to get done, it's not for a lack of excitement about the shoot. sometimes i just am tired and/or distracted, and it's not the fault of the model or the pictures or anything else.
i mean, if i KNOW a set turned out like crap i'm not gonna be as stoked to get to work on it, but taking forever to get stuff together doesn't necessarily mean a lack of satisfaction on my part.

i guess this is just to cover my ass next time i take pictures of a model from here and end up not getting things sent out right away.

Mar 26 06 08:01 pm Link