Forums > General Industry > Best or worst advice about industry.....

Model

Zachary F

New York, New York, US

Just wondering what some of you MMers can tell me about the best or worst advice someone gave you about the industry.

As a newbie, advice is appreciated, both good and bad.  What is the one thing someone told you to do or not do that really helped?

Mar 09 06 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

WBV Artography

San Antonio, Texas, US

I ask very little advice.   I know myself and know my work.   When I ask something it's for information and the stupidest most moronic thing ever posted to me happened here with a simple answer telling me exactly how complete of a idiot the person was posting:

"If you have to ask you're not good enough."

Mar 09 06 12:41 pm Link

Model

Zachary F

New York, New York, US

Not here to fish for comments on work.  I just see so many people berating others on their crap work or how brilliant the person is.  Once in awhile I see advice to members that is given with respect and insight.  Other times it's "Quit modelinh, you suck."
For the new photographers it seems the pro's tell them honestly, don't use so much photoshop, or need more depth, work on lighting issues.  I am learning from that.
I am not looking for comments on Zac right now, but in general what is some advice that actually helped you or made you laugh out loud?

Mar 09 06 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

Olaf S

Allentown, Pennsylvania, US

I'm a photographer, but the best advice I was ever given translates to modelling to a certain extent...

A picture is only as good as it's weakest link.

Study visual imagery of all descriptions.

Know what works, know what doesn't (very important for models aka, know "your angles & looks")

Show ONLY your best work, do not "pad" your portfolio just to try and show you've had experience.

Shoot (in your case, model) a lot, ie practice, practice, practice...

Know who to listen to.

Know how to take negative critisism as well as positive.

Have a back up plan.

Mar 09 06 12:58 pm Link

Model

Zachary F

New York, New York, US

Olaf S wrote:
I'm a photographer, but the best advice I was ever given translates to modelling to a certain extent...

A picture is only as good as it's weakest link.

Study visual imagery of all descriptions.

Know what works, know what doesn't (very important for models) aka, know "your angles & looks"

Show ONLY your best work, do not "pad" your portfolio just to try and show you've had experience.
Advice I need to take......

Shoot (in your case, model) a lot, ie practice, practice, practice...

Know who to listen to.

Know how to take negative critisism as well as positive.

Have a back up plan.

Best advice ever!!!!

Mar 09 06 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Here's another bit of advice:

Know how you're keeping score
  - If $$ is how you judge yourself, try to make a lot of dough
  - If popularity is how you judge yourself, try to be friends with everyone
  - If your own inner muse judges you, try to be true to your art

If you mix the various ways of keeping score you'll be really unhappy. If you're trying to follow your muse and you're trying to score yourself based on commercial viability, you're doomed to disappointment.

And lastly:
Don't bullsh*t yourself. You can bullsh*t other people all day long but when you start believing your own bullsh*t then it all comes apart on you.

GWC!

Mar 09 06 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Olaf S

When the hell did GWC get serious?  What about the b(o)(o)bies??? What's going on???

Damn good advice though.

Mar 09 06 01:13 pm Link

Model

Zachary F

New York, New York, US

Thanks GWC.  I'll *try* to remember all of that?

You da man.

Mar 09 06 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Olaf S

GWC wrote:

If you mix the various ways of keeping score you'll be really unhappy. If you're trying to follow your muse and you're trying to score yourself based on commercial viability, you're doomed to disappointment.

And lastly:
Don't bullsh*t yourself. You can bullsh*t other people all day long but when you start believing your own bullsh*t then it all comes apart on you.

GWC!

Man, that is SO good...I may have to "borrow" it.

Mar 09 06 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

ebarb

Rochester, New York, US

WhiteBears Visions wrote:
I ask very little advice.   I know myself and know my work.   When I ask something it's for information and the stupidest most moronic thing ever posted to me happened here with a simple answer telling me exactly how complete of a idiot the person was posting:

"If you have to ask you're not good enough."

hmmmm, nothing wrong with that line...there are plenty of times that it is true....but in the self rightoues world of MM where it's just wrong to tell the truth......

best advice, practise your butt kissing skills as for 90% of the jobs its more about personalituy than it is about what your work looks like...a decent photographer who is a great guy will get more work than a great photographer who is a complete jerk....

Mar 09 06 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Olaf S wrote:
When the hell did GWC get serious?

I get serious when I am drunk. I'll stop posting drunk from now on.

GWC!

Mar 09 06 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

GWC wrote:

And lastly:

GWC!

Thats the second time today I have seen a reasonable answer from you.  Who are you and what have you done with GWC?

Mar 09 06 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

markcomp wrote:
Thats the second time today I have seen a reasonable answer from you.  Who are you and what have you done with GWC?

Izzy Colon kidnapped him and is posting under his profile while GWC (in a sick twist of irony) waxes Izzy's rims...

Mar 09 06 02:30 pm Link