Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > How do I set my rates?

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

I've been told by other artists that my rates are too low.  But I don't know how to set them.  How do you know what your rates should be when you're new to the industry?  I'm still working on building my book.  Can someone please help.  I tried to find information online but most Miami artists don't list their rates on their site.

Thanks Much,
Melissa

Mar 08 06 09:26 am Link

Photographer

BCADULTART

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Melissa,

Follow the oldest rule in the book: If you have to much work, Raise your rates until you don't have enough work......

P.S. you do have some excellent images on your MM page.

Best,
Chuck

Mar 08 06 09:32 am Link

Photographer

House of Indulgence

New York, New York, US

First charge what you feel your worth is. Then over time start to raise the rates. Usually up the rate for every new client. Once people start complaining about your rate you will realize that you are charging what you are worth. People will always pay what they feel you are worth. The only way to find your ceiling is when people won't pay what you are charging.

Temper this with the type of client, what the job pays and the market you are working in. Sliding scale is typical in the begining.

-S

Mar 08 06 09:40 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

true as abouve post a sliding scale is great this way you can have a couple of rates to pull out of your hat. smile

Mar 08 06 11:07 am Link

Photographer

Rick Reynolds

Los Angeles, California, US

I went from free to almost free to a little spending money to $1,250 and I feel that I am worth every penny of it.  Do the same and you wont ever have to second guess yourself.  It took me years to convince myself that I could do this and now that I am doing it I'm content.

Mar 08 06 11:13 am Link

Photographer

Touscany Photography

Green Bay, Wisconsin, US

BCADULTART wrote:
Melissa,

Follow the oldest rule in the book: If you have to much work, Raise your rates until you don't have enough work......

P.S. you do have some excellent images on your MM page.

Best,
Chuck

Ditto!

Mar 08 06 11:16 am Link

Photographer

John Pringle

New York, New York, US

figure out your annual expenses.
Driving, insurance, gas, time, rate of expense increase out/in city, other.
That is basically expendature divided over the course of the year.

Day rate is typically set individually and may be 500-10K depending your clients. This can also be the cost of a day off from your other day jobs

Usage rates generall fall into a different catagory and can range from a flyer to a World Wide exposed client base. That could easily be 400-millions.

Mar 08 06 11:50 am Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Contact a few local WORKING artists and straight out ask them what the going rate is for your area.  You don't want to be known as the artist that is undercutting others.  So they should be glad to tell you.

Mar 08 06 02:43 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

I like Ashley's idea, because once you start working for cheap (a mistake that I have admitedly made) they will always expect it from you.

Mar 08 06 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

majoy

Newark, California, US

Don't feel bad for charging what you charge... it makes the client feel like you are trying to rip them off.  Remember, you are charging clients not for the cost of products you use during their application, but for the years of trial and error it took to master your craft.  A client once asked me why my rates are what they are.  My honest answer: "I charge what I charge because I can charge that price and know my clients will walk away feeling they got more than their money's worth and will come back again."  Folks who aren't willing to pay what you're asking usually don't understand or appreciate the quality of your work...

xoxo
maJOY
www.JaededGeisha.com

Mar 11 06 10:08 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

listen to the working artists....NEVER undercut the others.  Your main source of referrals as a newer artist is other artists....they will never refer you if you are cheaper.  You will also be known as the budget artist...GWC calls budget artists...good professional photographers won't give you the time of day if you are lower than the pros in your area, good clients won't even consider you for jobs.

Find out what the working pros are making in your area and match it.  If you feel like your book can not compete with theirs you need to work free and test until it is competitive.  Don't even enter the commercial, catalog, fashion market until your book is competitive with the working pros....when people see a book not up to their standards they will never forget it, and getting a second chance to show and improved book is very very hard.

Every full time well paid working artist and stylist will tell you what I just did.

Mar 11 06 10:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

I did just peek at your potfolio.  You do very nice work.  I would dump the glam stuff try to get a few fashion shots with fashion models, a few lifestyle shots and raise your prices to match the pros in your area.  I'm afraid with youre current portfolio your probably attracting glamour shooters with webmodels and  that doesnt pay, not well anyway.

Mar 11 06 10:40 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jessica Steele

Mary is absolutely right- I worked in a studio in LA that loved my work and asked me my day rate- and as much as I wanted to give them a low rate to secure the job- I gave them a REAL LA quote and they were pleased and hired me. Based on your TALENT and your presence (easy to work with, hard worker, generally good attitude) you CAN have a very high-end rate. So many people in this field are flakes- you can make money by having the talent to stand behind your portfolio and showing up on time and doing your job- period.
I love this little forum so much- Mary, you are an inspiration- a beautiful business mind you have!!!!

Mar 12 06 03:02 am Link