Forums > General Industry > AHHHH! Why are all the Male model shots the same.

Model

Flip Ashley

Dallas, Texas, US

I have been searching for interesting poses, and have decided that the ones I come up with myself are going to have to work. I mean go to any search engine and just type in Male Models. Every shot is the same. Got something more interesting than leaning on a tree? Show me.

Mar 08 06 09:23 am Link

Model

photo professional

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Ive got a couple....depends what kind style of shoot your doing I guess

Mar 08 06 10:17 am Link

Model

Tasha Lynn

Chandler, Arizona, US

Mar 08 06 10:19 am Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

Tasha Lynn wrote:
oh i have some great ones with me not against a tree....

But you're not a male model.

...or *are* you? yikes

Mar 08 06 10:22 am Link

Model

Danny Louis

FORT IRWIN, California, US

Flip Ashley wrote:
I have been searching for interesting poses, and have decided that the ones I come up with myself are going to have to work. I mean go to any search engine and just type in Male Models. Every shot is the same. Got something more interesting than leaning on a tree? Show me.

opps, that thing with the with the pics not against a tree was meant for me on my profile to write, ha sorry i was on my girlfriends (tasha lynn) page

Mar 08 06 10:24 am Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

I photograph women almost exclusively, but throughout April I'll be looking for male models to photograph as a learning project.  One problem I've had in the past is that I run out of male poses quickly.  I've lots of ideas about how to pose women, after a lifetime of watching them, but my bag-o-tricks for posing men is limited. 

Another thing is that I am a studio shooter.  Most of the male model portfolios I've seen seem to emphasize outdoor shots.  Outdoor shots take much more time and planning.

Finally there's the issue of wardrobe.  Most female models bring a suitcase full of clothing, offering plenty of variety.  The male models tend to show up with just one suit and one pair of gym clothes.

Mar 08 06 10:28 am Link

Model

Danny Louis

FORT IRWIN, California, US

phcorcoran wrote:
I photograph women almost exclusively, but throughout April I'll be looking for male models to photograph as a learning project.  One problem I've had in the past is that I run out of male poses quickly.  I've lots of ideas about how to pose women, after a lifetime of watching them, but my bag-o-tricks for posing men is limited. 

Another thing is that I am a studio shooter.  Most of the male model portfolios I've seen seem to emphasize outdoor shots.  Outdoor shots take much more time and planning.

Finally there's the issue of wardrobe.  Most women who come to me to model, bring a suitcase full of clothing, offering plenty of variety.  The male models tend to just show up with one suit and one pair of gym clothes.

sucks you arent in the vacinity of california, ha i always bring way too many clothes than i know what to do with... plus its not that hard to ome up with poses, i guess its all in the creativity of the mind

Mar 08 06 10:30 am Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

Maybe posing for males would be easier if there were more props involved?

Mar 08 06 10:31 am Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Umm...ALLLLLLL male model poses? yikes>

Mar 08 06 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

Kitapanda wrote:
Maybe posing for males would be easier if there were more props involved?

Good idea! I think you would be a GREAT prop!  ;-)

Mar 08 06 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

What a cute way to get free ideas for a shoot, most people look through books or watch a movie.

Mar 08 06 03:57 pm Link

Model

Benny

Brooklyn, New York, US

look at my port no trees tongue

Mar 08 06 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Craig Thomson wrote:
What a cute way to get free ideas for a shoot, most people look through books or watch a movie.

Ha squared!

Mar 08 06 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Morgan

Fort Worth, Texas, US

I have some other than the usual ideas for poses.

Mar 08 06 04:02 pm Link

Model

Zachary F

New York, New York, US

No trees for me.  Check it out.

Mar 08 06 04:06 pm Link

Model

SWgeek678

Millersville, Maryland, US

If none of the above advice works, maybe you could try setting up a shoot with a female model and working poses off of each other. You could get alot of variety that way. Hope that helps.
Chrystal

Mar 08 06 04:16 pm Link

Model

Southern Gent

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I have worked hard at shooting DIFFERENT images from the normal male model. Take a look. Sure, we will all have some that are the basics, just stretch yourself beyond the norm and have fun. YOU have to be the one that is creative.

Mar 08 06 05:10 pm Link

Model

Roxas

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

None of my male model shoots have been typical, but i do bring a suitcase full of clothing. I need to add more typical stuff to my portfolio.

Mar 08 06 05:34 pm Link