Forums > General Industry > Browsers and ICC profiles

Photographer

EG Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Say, I was wondering if anybody knows of any browser platform that can recognize embedded ICC color profiles correctly.  I tried testing both of my browsers, IE and Mozilla on the ICC test page located at

http://www.color.org/version4html.html

and noticed that both browsers failed to load the test image (the large picture) correctly.  So is there any browser that's ICC Version 4 compatible?

Mar 07 06 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Mac's Safari appears to be  wink

Mar 07 06 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

EG Photography

yeah that's what I heard... so does that mean we Windows users have to make do with converting all our images to the dreaded sRGB for now?

Mar 08 06 02:05 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

EG Photography wrote:
yeah that's what I heard... so does that mean we Windows users have to make do with converting all our images to the dreaded sRGB for now?

Yes.

Mar 08 06 02:38 am Link

Photographer

MurphyMurphy Studios

Denver, Colorado, US

EG Photography wrote:

Actually, this has nothing to do with sRGB or aRGB (both are colorSPACES).  Rather the OP was asking about a browsers ability to recognize a color PROFILE.

I understand that most browsers are not color profile "aware" right now so no amount of color profiling on your monitor will give you an accurate color rendition in your browser.  Photoshop is color profile "aware" and will give you the correct colors if you have profiled your monitor.

Dave

Mar 08 06 04:49 am Link

Photographer

EG Photography

Dave, I see your point... and I'll bet not too many people create a proper color profile for their monitor, so I guess we're really left with no choice other than to assume sRGB.  That being the case, which rendering intent do you prefer, perceptual or relative colorimetric with black point compensation?

Mar 09 06 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

MurphyMurphy Studios wrote:

Actually, this has nothing to do with sRGB or aRGB (both are colorSPACES).  Rather the OP was asking about a browsers ability to recognize a color PROFILE.

I understand that most browsers are not color profile "aware" right now so no amount of color profiling on your monitor will give you an accurate color rendition in your browser.  Photoshop is color profile "aware" and will give you the correct colors if you have profiled your monitor.

Dave

Most browsers are not color profile aware but they default to the sRGB color space.  This is why you should convert any photo intended for the web to sRGB if it isn't already.

Mar 09 06 03:39 pm Link