Forums > General Industry > hey!! what is model material

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

I was told from a photographer on this site, he is the photographer for King Magazine and Vibe.  He said that im not model material.  He said

"amanda you are very beautiful, but you will not make it in the modeling field, your look for modeling is played out.  our type of magazine would've like you 4 years ago.  We are into to mixed women or lighter skin and more cleavage on the upper half.  No problem Amanda, maybe you can model in a sears cateloge or something."

I thought that was Rude, but that is his opinion.
i want to know what others think?

is it true, but does my color and me not having big boobs matter. 
Why are so many women compared by color or body parts.
i know the mixed race thing is cute, but to me, everyone is mixed in someway.  Im portugese/Capeverdean with a White person first and last name and im from Africa, but i grew up in boston. i raise up in jamacia for 5 years of my life.  i speak 7 languages.  i can act like im from anywhere with my languages.  so i think that stuff is bull crap.

I know i look good, i dont even where makeup in none of my pictures and i have alot close up just lip gloss.  what does he mean.  Im sad, because i truely feel that is wrong, but i understand where he is coming from if you look at the magazines and Videos, yeah i see that.

but i dont think they are only picking them.  i think they are picking who looks good.

sorry about my long question.  but please answer.  i would love some opinions.

Mar 07 06 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

Sorry to read that someone put you down, but stupid people say stupid things.  Real success doesn't always come from having the look that people are looking for, it can come from having a look that they didn't know they wanted until they saw you.  I think your look is terrific.

Mar 07 06 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Ron B Blake

Macomb, Illinois, US

phcorcoran wrote:
Sorry to read that someone put you down, but stupid people say stupid things.  Real success doesn't always come from having the look that people are looking for, it can come from having a look that they didn't know they wanted until they saw you.  I think your look is terrific.

think your look is terrific.

agree smile

tune out the non supporters

Mar 07 06 08:14 pm Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

thank you.  i think the idiot is just retarded.  he did not put me down.  i will always be strong.  i just feel he was rude.  i wish you heard his voice

Mar 07 06 08:16 pm Link

Model

Vera van Munster

Belmont, North Carolina, US

Honey you're beautiful! Don't let some guy from a men's magazine get you down. Those magazines tend to have girls on the front that dont look very natural.Hell I've seen a lot of covers on those magazines where the girl has a great body but her face is totally bunk.You're better than that. So just move on to the next project. We cant get every modeling job that we want.You'll make it wink

Mar 07 06 08:20 pm Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

DeathbyNew-Wave wrote:
Honey you're beautiful! Don't let some guy from a men's magazine get you down. Those magazines tend to have girls on the front that dont look very natural.Hell I've seen a lot of covers on those magazines where the girl has a great body but her face is totally bunk.You're better than that. So just move on to the next project. We cant get every modeling job that we want.You'll make it wink

yeah i will make it, and i hope some of the other ladies that has been told this samething, dont worry about those idiots, they dont know what beauty is.  they believe Photoshop and airbrush is a beautiful woman.  you are right, i saw alot of busted chicks on the front, nice body, big booty, with a DOG FACE with make up.  i will not fall for the stupidness he tried to get me down.

they make alot of girls sleep there way to the top.

Mar 07 06 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Dont let them Bad Apples ruin your day..

It depends more on confidence and your ability to adapt..

Anybody can be just pretty..

Its the real good stuff that counts..

It looks like you got the real good stuff to me..

(:---------

Hj

Mar 07 06 08:26 pm Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

thank you, thats what i tried to tell him..  he was really comparing me to JLO.
I just dont get it, must everyone look like jlo.  i not bleaching my skin for nobody

Mar 07 06 08:39 pm Link

Model

RoxieBeckles

Los Angeles, California, US

Well being that King Magazine isnt the only publication out there, who cares what his opinion is.  If what he said is true I would NEVER do any work, but I have and I still continue to.  In fact what he's saying is rediculous because I've seen many dark-skinned women gracing the pages (and cover) of that magazine and those similar.  There is a need for every color/shade/tone/shape of model out there.  Men's magazines are not the end all be all of the industry, there is also mainstream commercial work, fashion, beauty, blah blah and blah.  And besides if he was smart he wouldnt make that comment about catalog work.  HELLO THE STARTING RATE IN NEW YORK IS $275/HOUR for models shooting major catalogs.  Why do you think you see some fashion girls doing them too....

Mar 07 06 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

amanda Irish wrote:
I was told from a photographer on this site, he is the photographer for King Magazine and Vibe.  He said that im not model material.  He said

"amanda you are very beautiful, but you will not make it in the modeling field, your look for modeling is played out.  our type of magazine would've like you 4 years ago.  We are into to mixed women or lighter skin and more cleavage on the upper half.  No problem Amanda, maybe you can model in a sears cateloge or something."

He said you weren't model material, but maybe you could model in a catalog--which is probably more financially rewarding to you, and just as much professional modeling (if not more) than appearing in his magazine would be.

I think he doesn't understand what 'model material' means.

Mar 07 06 08:48 pm Link

Model

No longer active-

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

hmm...

Mar 07 06 08:48 pm Link

Model

Swish shh

Bālā Morġāb, Bādgīs, Afghanistan

I THINK YOUR GORGEOUS and why would you want to model for someone who cant even spell catalouge, he's obviously stupid. it also sounds like he has no clue what he's talking about.

Mar 07 06 08:52 pm Link

Model

Swish shh

I THINK YOUR GORGEOUS and why would you want to model for someone who cant even spell catalouge, he's obviously stupid. it also sounds like he has no clue what he's talking about.

Model

Swish shh

Model

Swish shh

Mar 07 06 08:53 pm Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

Kevin Connery wrote:

He said you weren't model material, but maybe you could model in a catalog--which is probably more financially rewarding to you, and just as much professional modeling (if not more) than appearing in his magazine would be.

I think he doesn't understand what 'model material' means.

i would not mind model for a catalog for sears.  that is good money.  but he said it so rude.  i wanted to meet him and kick his ass.

Mar 07 06 09:23 pm Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

RoxieB wrote:
Well being that King Magazine isnt the only publication out there, who cares what his opinion is.  If what he said is true I would NEVER do any work, but I have and I still continue to.  In fact what he's saying is rediculous because I've seen many dark-skinned women gracing the pages (and cover) of that magazine and those similar.  There is a need for every color/shade/tone/shape of model out there.  Men's magazines are not the end all be all of the industry, there is also mainstream commercial work, fashion, beauty, blah blah and blah.  And besides if he was smart he wouldnt make that comment about catalog work.  HELLO THE STARTING RATE IN NEW YORK IS $275/HOUR for models shooting major catalogs.  Why do you think you see some fashion girls doing them too....

believe me, if i knew more about new york, i would be there.  catalogs is whats popping.  i need to find out how to get in that.  i always wanted to be in a mens magazine just once or twice.    I would do a TFP just to be in one without pay.   i just wanted the experience.  he said that he needed plenty girls.  so i offered my services.  i think it was a lame excuse

Mar 07 06 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

consider the source: he is obviously the 'Gucci'  of the bootay magazines.

He may not even be the photographer for the magazine.

I got contacted by a magazine to shoot models( the bootay type ) in vegas. I asked the company on the phone for a letter stating that I was working with them.
I needed to prove to models that I was not trying to get pics for my own freakiness.
They refused -see - then I knew the phone call was  a fake.

There are scumbags , GWC, and all types out there. Ask questions babe!

Mar 07 06 09:30 pm Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
consider the source: he is obviously the 'Gucci'  of the bootay magazines.

He may not even be the photographer for the magazine.

I got contacted by a magazine to shoot models( the bootay type ) in vegas. I asked the company on the phone for a letter stating that I was working with them.
I needed to prove to models that I was not trying to get pics for my own freakiness.
They refused -see - then I knew the phone call was  a fake.

There are scumbags , GWC, and all types out there. Ask questions babe!

i called king magazine and checked his name   i did not want to go to New york and detroit with a fake person alone.  they know him.  i was happy about that.  i thought i was my break for exposure.  he is probably mad because i check his reference first.  it that the right thing to do.

Mar 07 06 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

Javier T

Huntsville, Alabama, US

There are times when I have to be honest with some models...but that honesty is always meant to "help" that model.  I don't see anything helpful in his words.  In fact, it was pure poision. 

On top of all that...you have a very attractive look...very natural...and this kind of look will always be popular with us guys.  You represent something real.

Mar 07 06 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

Split Images Studio

Seattle, Washington, US

amanda Irish wrote:

i know the mixed race thing is cute, but to me, everyone is mixed in someway.  Im portugese/Capeverdean with a White person first and last name and im from Africa, but i grew up in boston. i raise up in jamacia for 5 years of my life.  i speak 7 languages.  i can act like im from anywhere with my languages.  so i think that stuff is bull crap.

I know i look good, i dont even where makeup in none of my pictures and i have alot close up just lip gloss.  what does he mean.  Im sad, because i truely feel that is wrong, but i understand where he is coming from if you look at the magazines and Videos, yeah i see that.

but i dont think they are only picking them.  i think they are picking who looks good.

Amanda, sad fact that some photographers are just BLIND!!! Fortunately, the fashion industry is finally recognizing that this ol world is made up of many different shapes and colors of people. Has taken far toooooo long!!

As to the photographer you are referring to, I bet he wears polyester!!

And yes he was quite rude. I would be honored to work with you any time you are in the Seattle area!!! You do have an exotic look about you, your mixe ethnicity. Me? I too am mixed up but dont have much of the Cherokee look, more Celtic.

Patrick

Mar 07 06 09:44 pm Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

Javier T wrote:
There are times when I have to be honest with some models...but that honesty is always meant to "help" that model.  I don't see anything helpful in his words.  In fact, it was pure poision. 

On top of all that...you have a very attractive look...very natural...and this kind of look will always be popular with us guys.  You represent something real.

thank you baby.  i glad you noticed that.  i want to kick his ass really good.  i hope i can make it big than go back and kick his ass and laugh with my thousands in my pocket.

Mar 07 06 09:45 pm Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

Split Images Studio wrote:

Amanda, sad fact that some photographers are just BLIND!!! Fortunately, the fashion industry is finally recognizing that this ol world is made up of many different shapes and colors of people. Has taken far toooooo long!!

As to the photographer you are referring to, I bet he wears polyester!!

And yes he was quite rude. I would be honored to work with you any time you are in the Seattle area!!! You do have an exotic look about you, your mixe ethnicity. Me? I too am mixed up but dont have much of the Cherokee look, more Celtic.

Patrick

i will go to seattle and meet you.  i would not be in the area unless you invite me over.  we can make arrangements anytime.  i travel on request.  i would work really good with you and anyone else that wants to work with me/  i will cook alot of goog food too.

i seriously mad at him and his name is KINGMAG

Mar 07 06 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Last I checked, photographers aren't the ones calling the shots on who can or can't appear in a magazine.

Mar 07 06 09:53 pm Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

this one did. alot of the photographers are doing the casting calls too.  they are in the business to, some of them work for the cast.

Mar 07 06 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Haleh Bryan

If you listen to what the so called experts of the fashion industry tell you then you will end up a mess (i.e.Kate Mosses of the world). Be yourself and you will be just fine. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

Mar 07 06 10:30 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

amanda Irish wrote:

Sweetie, I think that you already know that you are a beautiful girl.  You have potential to do anything in the universe you put your mind to.  If you want to model. . .do that. 

This industry is full of people that "think" they know what "everybody" wants. . .but in actuality everybody wants something different.  In other words, no two people will want the exact same thing.  That's one man's opinion.  Now if 50 people tell you that you got nothin. . .maybe you got nothin.  But don't change your life's direction for any ONE person.

Mar 07 06 10:33 pm Link

Model

The_N_Word

New York, New York, US

amanda Irish wrote:

Well according to your opinion of yourself, what this dude said to you shouldn't even be an issue

Mar 07 06 10:34 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

I have heard worse comments than that!  A booker told a girl she had a slutty face.

Sad but true.  There are some real pricks out there......

Mar 07 06 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Diana Moffitt wrote:
A booker told a girl she had a slutty face.

Sad but true.

Poor girl.  What does a slutty face look like?

smile

Mar 07 06 10:48 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

DeBoer Photography wrote:
Poor girl.  What does a slutty face look like?

smile

We can just cruise the shady parts of vegas and take pics of the hookers and post them on the internet for other ppls viewing pleasure and reference wink  LOL

Mar 07 06 10:50 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

VirtuaMike wrote:
Last I checked, photographers aren't the ones calling the shots on who can or can't appear in a magazine.

Casting are done by many different groups or individuals.   Depends on the shoot.

Mar 07 06 10:55 pm Link

Model

Kearsten

Richmond, Virginia, US

Sad as it is, I know plenty of magazine owners who are just into multi-racial models these days. And if you're not multi-racial but look the part, you've got the job. They look a lot to this web site: www.ethnicitymodels.com  it's the "exotic" look they're after. But remember ladies, for every door that's closed in your face another's opening somewhere!

Mar 07 06 10:55 pm Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

Kearsten wrote:
Sad as it is, I know plenty of magazine owners who are just into multi-racial models these days. And if you're not multi-racial but look the part, you've got the job. They look a lot to this web site: www.ethnicitymodels.com  it's the "exotic" look they're after. But remember ladies, for every door that's closed in your face another's opening somewhere!

that right they like the multi racial females alot

Mar 09 06 11:46 pm Link