Forums > General Industry > Union for models?

Model

Nathan L

Does such a union exist?  I'm going to be quitting my day job soon and consequently will be losing my health insurance coverage...Does a union exist for models, similar to SAG, Equity, etc. for actors? 

Nate

Mar 07 06 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

Short answer no.

Mar 07 06 10:17 am Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

longer answer. nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Mar 07 06 10:18 am Link

Photographer

URP

New York, New York, US

The real answer... Hell no!

Mar 07 06 10:23 am Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

the fake answer.  yes

Mar 07 06 10:25 am Link

Model

shellyradley

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

Nathan Lew wrote:
Does such a union exist?  I'm going to be quitting my day job soon and consequently will be losing my health insurance coverage...Does a union exist for models, similar to SAG, Equity, etc. for actors? 

Nate

if there was don't you think we/you would have heard about it by now?

Mar 07 06 10:28 am Link

Model

spyro2122

Orlando, Florida, US

nope no union.

Mar 07 06 10:45 am Link

Model

Nathan L

no need to be condescending Shelly...I've been modeling for 3 or 4 weeks.  It's a new industry to me.

Mar 07 06 10:51 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Nathan Lew wrote:
no need to be condescending Shelly...I've been modeling for 3 or 4 weeks.  It's a new industry to me.

A better answer: Some people in the talent biz who model and act can get their benefits through SAG.  Since you are also a performer, that would probably be your best route.  I have also heard an unconfirmed rumor that some agencies put together or associate to group plans for coverage.  You might try asking some of the agencies in NY who they would recommend for coverage.  If you are going about it on an independent basis, than there are a lot of small business/consultant type group plans to look at. - You can ask any good finical advisor about these options.  Good Luck & welcome to MM

Mar 07 06 12:30 pm Link

Model

McKenzie

Fort Myers, Florida, US

Nathan Lew wrote:

Nate

No....but there are insurance companies out there that you can pay for your own health insurance through instead of relying on COBRA which may be offered when you leave the company you work for....for a short period of time.  It tends to be more expensive too. 

xoxoxoxo
McKenzie

Mar 07 06 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

the artist's figure models here in Philadelphia tried organizing a union under the umbrella of the AFSCME.
they started at Moore College, won the right to have the election, and then unanimously won the election. however, the contract negotiations with the school dragged on and on and eventually pretty much ran aground with no improvement.
they tried at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts next, and got as far as having the election before the school appealed. the ballots were sealed, uncounted, and then the NLRB decided in the school's favor (overruling their own previous decision) that the models were independent contractors and not employees, and thus unorganizable.

so... in other words, not really.
obviously fashion/photography modelling is going to be different than the academic setting of modelling for art classes, but... there are enough similarities to get to the conclusion that as long as you're considered "self employed" or an "independent contractor" in this particular field, your odds of getting organized, and having your employers recognize that union, are pretty slim.

there is, however, The Freelancers Union ( http://www.workingtoday.org/ ). but that's only in New York...

Mar 07 06 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

Models should start a union.  There should be picketing in lingerie.  Will make the 6:00 news.

Mar 07 06 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Olaf S

Allentown, Pennsylvania, US

Nathan Lew wrote:

Ummm..you're quitting your day job?  To model?  After doing it for 3 or 4 weeks?

Really?

Mar 07 06 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

CrazyIsabelAurora wrote:
the fake answer.  yes

lets see , try to get  2000 divas in a room to agree on anything.

Mar 07 06 05:37 pm Link

Model

Nathan L

I'm not quitting because I want to be a model full time...I'm quitting because my job is holding me back from alot of other endeavors which I would rather focus on.  Modeling is one one of them; however, so is putting together a full scale tour tour of the US for a huge international touring act...

Mar 09 06 12:07 pm Link