Forums > General Industry > Do you really think clothes are free?

Wardrobe Stylist

Dave the design student

Detroit, Michigan, US

One creative idea might be to document what you do behind the scenes and share it with people with an interest in fashion and styling.

Mar 08 06 03:09 am Link

Model

shellyradley

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

My question was "...do you believe that all stylist should provide their services for free?" and "Do you really think clothes are free?"

I am saying if you would read if you do TFP then yes it's free. I don't believe the clothes are free but you take em home don't you?
The models are not keeping them?
You can use them again?
You design clothes because thats your job isnt it? Don't you want people to see your work.

What I was saying is if you want models to do TFP then why should we pay?

anyway I am not going to say any more on the matter I think I have made my view perfectly clear.

tata cheers

xx shelly xx

Mar 08 06 03:23 am Link

Model

Charisteen

Park Forest, Illinois, US

I understand and I agree!  It takes many elements to pull off awesome shots:

1.photographer (1st because no camera..no shots, bad photographer..bad shots)
2.model ***
3.makeup
4.wardrobe & accessories
5.settings & props
6.attitude!
7.digital retouching

But, people forget that they need make-up and wardrobe (stylists provide these at fees, if not...styling would not be a job with a name).  People expect some photographers to be able to do makeup, or the makeup artist to provide accessories... blah

Styling is a JOB... i.e. paid for with $money$

Whew!!

Mar 08 06 03:46 am Link

Photographer

Studio-Q

Cleveland, Ohio, US

So where is the thread where photographers should start whining about cost of equipments, software, printing, etc.?! (LOL pls don't answer - noone needs another one of these)...

LOL, geez, just don't do freebies if you can't afford it.

On the other hand, without colaboration where everyone contributes their part many great images wouldn't exist. Art will die, fun will vanish, and only dull stiff pictures of marching down the runway hangers will remain... Oh, and commercial ads with wives of store owners holding their hubbies products.

/cheers

Mar 08 06 04:31 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

Dave the design student wrote:
One creative idea might be to document what you do behind the scenes and share it with people with an interest in fashion and styling.

I thought about doing this once.  However there are enough shows on TV that do this.  Project Runway is a good example of what I go through except I have more time and an opportunity to fit my clients at least once.  If not, I "Make It Work" and ready as possible for a photo shoot or fashion show.

However, they don't show you the tricks that I use and I learned those over time and I really don't want to share those with the world.  If someone asked me how to do something, then I am a open book and I will help but, not just to put it out there... no, no, no.

There are a lot of shows about models and modeling.  Modeling is not easy however, it is not seriously difficult.  I've done it and I've trained others.  Creating garments is.  Even if I take the clothes back, I rarely use them again.  I may put them in a fashion show and then once again, I'm done with it.

Mar 08 06 08:55 am Link