Forums > General Industry > Should Photographers Charge.....

Model

CristinaLex

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

so much when theyre work isnt that great....I have seen some photographers work...and they say they offer limited tfp/cd...and I am just browsing...

But then they show how much they charge for a shoot and for editing..extremely pricey....So i am asking the open view opinions of models and photographers...

Do you guys feel as though photographers should charge soo much like an arm and a leg for a shoot....and vice versa...

Vice-Versa: should a model charge and arm and a leg for his/her services when his/her port is that great...or...worhtwhile....

i am just asking a questions...like to know what people think...please dont chew my head off lol

Mar 06 06 01:24 pm Link

Model

Idriss

Miami, Arizona, US

Value is a matter of perception

Mar 06 06 01:27 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Idriss wrote:

Got that right!!

Mar 06 06 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

understand supply and demand..

terry richardson, one of the worst photogs i have ever seen, commands the highest rates in the country...

Mar 06 06 01:36 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

Idriss wrote:

i understand that and it is correct...but i have seen many a work on here from both model and photographer...and sometimes i think...they shouldnt even have the audacity to charge any one...theyll be lucky if they get someone at all...not be think so negatively but...i mean most of us on MM are new and still have a ways to go before3 we perfect ourselves....so some of us wont charge unless we take a paid job...and i am just speaking for myself...i think my work is good and i think i have come along way...i just couldnt see myself charging anyone when there is professionals out there who dont charge and or might shoot for free....its just and opinion and i wanna just know what others think....and i am not just talking about mediocre models chargiing i am talking about mediocre photographers as well...smile

Mar 06 06 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

TR PHOTO

Los Angeles, California, US

Yes : )  Whenever you ask someone for services payment is a good thing.

Mar 06 06 01:44 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

Doug Swinskey wrote:

terry richardson, one of the worst photogs i have ever seen, commands the highest rates in the country...

And i am mad u threw someone's name out there smile...

Mar 06 06 01:44 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

TIM RICKS PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
Yes : )  Whenever you ask someone for services payment is a good thing.

Yes but if they are....man i dont wanna say it ...some Sh**...lol...sorry...model and photographer wise....if your top line and i have the money ill pay but... and if i was top line i would charge...smile

Mar 06 06 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

MartinCoatesIV

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

CristinaLex wrote:
so much when theyre work isnt that great....I have seen some photographers work...and they say they offer limited tfp/cd...and I am just browsing...

But then they show how much they charge for a shoot and for editing..extremely pricey....So i am asking the open view opinions of models and photographers...

Do you guys feel as though photographers should charge soo much like an arm and a leg for a shoot....and vice versa...

Vice-Versa: should a model charge and arm and a leg for his/her services when his/her port is that great...or...worhtwhile....

i am just asking a questions...like to know what people think...please dont chew my head off lol

No they shouldn't, nor should models. Editing is a different monster. Editing is many open many of hours. I do TFCD often, but if you want edited photo ( or at least if you want them in under 2 weeks) I would like to get paid for the extra time.

Mar 06 06 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

BlueTree Images

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I don't think Terry gives a damn about Doug's opinion.  And that's no offence to Doug, he's got great work

Mar 06 06 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

Hey, don't get my competitive streak going!!!  ;-)

Wm

Mar 06 06 01:51 pm Link

Model

Idriss

Miami, Arizona, US

MartinCoatesIV wrote:
No they shouldn't, nor should models. Editing is a different monster. Editing is many open many of hours. I do TFCD often, but if you want edited photo ( or at least if you want them in under 2 weeks) I would like to get paid for the extra time.

do we get any discount if we can do our own editing? tongue    j/k

Mar 06 06 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Mangano Photography

Fresno, California, US

It's a free market.  If you don't think their portfolio justifies their prices, then there are tons of other photographers around.  For example... I charge $50 + $10 per roll of film I use.  It barely covers my expenses.  So, I'm not charging much at all.  However, I know there are going to be people who don't like my work and think it's too much.  that's fine, I don't take offense to it.  I gotta do what I gotta do.

Dino

Mar 06 06 01:53 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

I think people often forget that successful photographers are generally not just photographers, but competent business people.  There are plenty of talented, skilled amateur photographers on this site who will never make a dime, either because they aren't trying to, or because they lack the business skills to get paid for what they do.  Yes, there are plenty of mediocre photographers out there making a living - because they're great business people, and have figured out how to make a success out of shooting photographs.  What you and I think of their work doesn't really matter when they're paying their mortgage with income generated from their camera.

If you don't like what they do, the answer is pretty simple - don't pay 'em.  wink

Mar 06 06 01:54 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

models do the same thing

so do laywers and doctors

hair stylists

mechanics

in every profession there are people that charge more then their work is worth

it's just a fact of life smile

Mar 06 06 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

Thayer Photographic

Kentwood, Michigan, US

Sometimes models forget that the photographer invests more time in editing the photos, than originally invested by the model in the shoot itself.

for example, I recently did a 2 hour TFCD.  I shot about 250 photos.  The model will receive a CD with about 65 images, most of of which are edited, and adjusted for light, blemish removal, scars, acne, etc.

I will spend about 8 hours editing.

Add in the cost of my equipment, Camera, lights, studio rental, travel time, and travel cost?

now of course the model has expenses too, wardrobe, travel time and travel cost, plus the time of the shoot.

Ultimately the biggest expense for me is the time spent in editing.

so the question isn't really should a phtographer charge, but how much.

How much of the cost of a shoot is mutual?

Mar 06 06 01:55 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

MartinCoatesIV wrote:

i agree on tht it does take time perfecting an image to what you want it look come out to be...but it just upsets me that a lot of people...and i know this is their parogative..(spell tht right??)  to charge sooo much for work that is soo weak....then complain that they cant expand and or upgrade thier portfolios because of the way they charge for crappy work.....lol..i guess you do get what you pay for

Mar 06 06 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

XposurePhoto

Houston, Texas, US

Art is subjective...and to each their own...that said, what it may be high to you it may not be for others, also depending on the fiels they are, etc. I seen some Photographers who charge 10 time higher than me, their work is clearly not even 1/2 as good as mine (not saying mine is the best either) and are solid booked, but I am not as booked as they are and have a hard time carging my fees, so obviously they have a better marketing plan that I have and do things I would not do.

So the solution, if you don't like their work, move on to other...same as if you don't like their price.

XP

Mar 06 06 01:56 pm Link

Model

InDecisivE

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

As a model - I wouldn't pay for work, unless I saw that work that valuable to my portfolio.
I think it goes the same for photographers - they don't pay unless it seems necessary!...

But - As a nude model, when doing nude work - almost always I ask for some compensation - as not everyone does it - and not many that I know of do it for free.
I'm not sure I like 'getting paid' or 'paying out' or think that it should happen that way........ But, that's how things work so I just roll with it! wink

- Secondly photographers usually hold all copyright - they have the advantage of making money of the pictures... The model isn't always given this opportunity, so if this is the case I think the model should be compensated for her work - either at the time, or on publication.

Mar 06 06 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

CristinaLex wrote:

Of course.  The absolutely should charge whatever they want.

Econ 101:

People who offer goods and services offer a price for what they do or make.  The people who want or need the services decide on whom thier money will be spent.  If you set your price and the people willing to pay you prices are few to none; your prices may be too high.  You need to lower your prices until you get takers.  Or else you'll end of closing your doors and going out of business. 

Conversely, if you set your prices and people are beating down your door to the point at which you need to turn down work, raise your rates accordingly:  your time/goods are more valuable based on the fact that you have to pass up on other earnings.

So, yeah, people should be able to charge outrageous fees.  That doesn't mean you have to pay them.  The amount they charge can only be validated by someone who decides to accept the fees.

Mar 06 06 02:43 pm Link

Model

haylee_a

InDecisivE wrote:
- Secondly photographers usually hold all copyright - they have the advantage of making money of the pictures... The model isn't always given this opportunity, so if this is the case I think the model should be compensated for her work - either at the time, or on publication.

i totally agree with u on that one, photographers are the people with the power ,ive known a few ppl to be mugged off aswell as myself!!

not saying all photographers r like it, but as a model you have to be very careful with who u pick and know every single detail before you decide to work with the photpgrapher and also make sure the work u do 4 them is a signed contact!

Mar 06 06 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

Chuck Holliday

New York, New York, US

you also have to remember that youre looking at it from the outside. i dont think its anything wrong for anybody (model, MUA, photographer, hair stylist, bell hop boy, food runner) to charge for what they do, because they feel confident in what they do and they are in a business mode. honestly, would you expect "generic photographer" to say in his profile, "hey everybody, i dont charge and do TFP because my work stinks!" or a model to say "hey i dont charge to work because i dont look so good!" - i highly doubt anybody will say that outright in their description or even believe that in their own mind.

its also about the market theyre in as well. like for me, i'm looked upon kinda differently in the urban market, while in areas like this i'm viewed as a beginner or GWC or whatever term the inner circles around here use for aspiring beginner (you know beginners dont deserve to exist in MM's world, lol) so what you may have an opinion about is from the outside, but the person themselves have that level of confidence to believe in themselves.

Mar 06 06 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

VisionsofZen

Berkeley, California, US

I think that if the model/photographer wishes to charge a high rate and they can get it, more power to them.  If you don't agree with the rate, or think that they are too expensive for the quality of work that they do, then don't use them.  That's the way I see it.

Mar 06 06 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

CristinaLex wrote:

I agree with you.  My rates are very low b/c I believe in and want to actually booking work- not just say I have high rates.  I set a rate that anyone can afford and know my work is much better than that rate.  Its supply and demand.  Its not just about what I feel I am worth- its also about what my client base is willing to pay.

Mar 06 06 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

Tim - New Talent Search

New York, New York, US

But - As a nude model, when doing nude work - almost always I ask for some compensation - as not everyone does it - and not many that I know of do it for free.

hmmmm.... i'm not really sure if all models understand what nude photography is all about.

...and how difficult is to get a great nude shot.  in my, more than 7 years experience in nude photography i haven't seen one model who can do good nude shot in the first 3 hours of photosession.... when the same model can get a gorgeous fashion shot in less than 30min... so if i would find one i would pay reasonable price to "save my time"...

Mar 06 06 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Chuck Holliday

New York, New York, US

Jose- JoseOnline wrote:

My rates are very low b/c I believe in and want to actually booking work- not just say I have high rates.  I set a rate that anyone can afford and know my work is much better than that rate.

i definitely feel you on that - i also charge something thats considered "too low" while a friend of mines who i shared a studio with charged according to what he felt he was worth, and while he clowned me for my low rates, i piled up work around the clock (making up for the lack of high price with lots of clients to offset the low price), while he's still struggling to find any takers for his high price (doesnt help he's marketing his $400 rate to college students who we all know wont even pay $100, lol).

Mar 06 06 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

Doug,
Send me  a link!

Mar 06 06 03:50 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

Hamza wrote:

Doug,
Send me  a link!

lol

Mar 06 06 03:51 pm Link

Model

InDecisivE

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Jack_Photo wrote:

hmmmm.... i'm not really sure if all models understand what nude photography is all about.

...and how difficult is to get a great nude shot.  in my, more than 7 years experience in nude photography i haven't seen one model who can do good nude shot in the first 3 hours of photosession.... when the same model can get a gorgeous fashion shot in less than 30min... so if i would find one i would pay reasonable price to "save my time"...

What is a good shot?!...

Mar 06 06 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Tim - New Talent Search

New York, New York, US

good nude shot is when you see no fake. 

when you see and feel.

Mar 06 06 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Maximum Impact

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

Time is precious for all parties involved ... for every model that doesn't care for a particular photographer - be it the overall composition, lighting style etc. a rebuttal could be made. As a model if you need to be directed every step of the way, being less than aware of your role in the compostion (e.g leading lines, hands modeled perfectly and not splayed out) or merchandising the product what should you be paid? Playing both ends against the middle MM would a far more positive experience if folks offered positive feedback... helping others to grow.

If the function of MM is impress one another with art, paying each other for work we like MM is nothing more than an art gallery and we are only marketing to ourselves. On the otherhand, if we are interested in creating value in our work by creating images which create sales for the consumer market shouldn't we play this tit for tat game a bit differently?

Mar 06 06 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Hell YES, go ask my plumber

hell YES, I bought my mechanic a trip to Cancun

hell YES, I bought my dentist his last golf clubs

I want to go to Cancun, I want golf clubs. Cristina WILL buy me golf clubs

Mar 06 06 04:22 pm Link