Forums > General Industry > Pre Shoot Interviews-You do em or Don't?

Photographer

JKY Photo

New York, New York, US

I've had some bad experiences with really hard to work with models and I've heard from some models that some photographers are really hard to work with(I couldn't imagine why=) )  In the begining of my career I would shoot anything what wanted me to shoot them or whoever was holding the checkbook.  For alot of my personal projects I casted on my own and basically just looked at portfolio's, a short call and that was it see you at the shoot.  Now I always meet with the models face to face before I shoot them to one get a good look at them in person, two to get their opinions about the shoot and three to see if we click.  My opinion is that the shoot is going to last 6-8 hours or sometimes only god knows how long I might as well shoot someone who's easy to get along with especially if I'm picking the model.  Well it's 4 something in the morning and post processing some images with my digi-tech and just got curious if anyone else does the interview thing.

Mar 06 06 06:12 am Link

Photographer

JDF Photography

Marengo, Ohio, US

A sitdown meeting weeds out the flakes and helps determine how well the model and I will get along. If the tog and model are at odds it will show in the pics. JMHO

Mar 06 06 06:25 am Link

Photographer

bNovakHill Photographic

New Haven, Connecticut, US

For portfolio work, I like to do a brief in-person interview with the model before the shoot to share my working methods and to discuss each other's expectations and goals. I think it makes the actual session run more effectively, and also improves the quality and relevance of the deliverable. Brian

Mar 06 06 06:35 am Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Montague, New Jersey, US

I only do them if the model requests it.  I can usually tell if I'll like the model by the work she normally does that is in her port.

Mar 06 06 06:55 am Link

Model

roflsox

Model tossing her two cents in - I prefer pre-shoot interviews, because then I get to know the photographer a little better, and I'm less paranoid on the day of the shoot because I'm not completely meeting someone that I've never met with before.

Mar 06 06 07:09 am Link

Model

_Kimberly

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Well I'd pick in person interviews over telephone interviews anytime... but I don't feel they're necessary. I think everyone I've shot with had a pretty good idea what I would be like before the shoot, even if we hadn't met.

But if the photographer requests to meet me first, I'll do it.

Mar 06 06 07:22 am Link

Photographer

UCPhotog

Hartford, Connecticut, US

If the model is local enough, I try to do a pre-shoot meeting. I've seen the model's images - but how much was photoshopped? I've seen the stats, but how accurate or current are they (same for pics)?

At a meeting, you get to show more of your work, see the model in person, ask and answer questions, give a copy of your release for them to take and read, discuss some ideas, and go from there. If the model flakes for a meeting, it's usually not a lost day. For a shoot, that pretty much scraps the day.

Marc Stevenson
UCPhoto

Mar 06 06 07:29 am Link

Photographer

Zeo

Canton, Ohio, US

UCPhotog wrote:
If the model is local enough, I try to do a pre-shoot meeting. I've seen the model's images - but how much was photoshopped? I've seen the stats, but how accurate or current are they (same for pics)?

At a meeting, you get to show more of your work, see the model in person, ask and answer questions, give a copy of your release for them to take and read, discuss some ideas, and go from there. If the model flakes for a meeting, it's usually not a lost day. For a shoot, that pretty much scraps the day.

Marc Stevenson
UCPhoto

I agree, another thing you gotta remember is, a lot of the port images are MUAed, I prefer to SEE my models before hand and if they aren't too sqeumish about it (remember dealing with Male models here) I prefer to see them the way I'll be shooting them. that way I'm prepared for the mole I didn't see onthe Prot, or that they got thier nips peirced since then, ect ect.

Mar 06 06 07:36 am Link

Photographer

Greg Lindeblom

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I find that pre-shoot interviews are great with local models.  It gives me a chance to see the model in person; it gives the model a chance to look at my books, see the studio; and it gives both of us a chance to talk about the shoot.  In addition, if the model has never posed nude before, I ask them to undress in the studio (no shots taken, of course).  This way the model has a chance to experience a bit of an "undress rehearsal". 

The interviews reduce the number of no-shows, helps me prepare better for the shoot, helps the model prepare better for the shoot, and helps us both overcome the anxiety of working with a stranger.

Greg

Mar 06 06 07:44 am Link

Photographer

JKY Photo

New York, New York, US

Cool I was starting to think I was one of the only people that did this...well I raised this question because my assistant was scheduling someone last thursday and this model got very defensive once a face to face meeting was being scheduled and basically asked my assistant if I had problems getting dates...um....no....I had never been accused of that before and when he tried to  explain to her politely the reason for these face to face interviews she became even more defensive.  Click....hung up on her, and I just realized how important these interviews really are to weed out people like that.....good to hear everyones take on interviews and I'd love to hear more models opinions too.

Mar 06 06 08:15 am Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

My of my models, like me, are simply too busy for in-person pre-shoot meetings.  Instead, I insist on talking with models over the telephone before booking their shoot.  That, plus lots of information on my website about my shoots, is my pre-shoot interview.  The studio I use is public and guaranteed chaperoned by staff, so models don't really have to fear meeting anyone there.

Mar 06 06 08:24 am Link

Photographer

MartinCoatesIV

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

I prefer to do them. Didnt this weekend, model was a no show, no call.

I'm going to be traveling this summer not sure how to work that on the road, any advice.

Martin IV

Mar 06 06 08:24 am Link

Photographer

SimonL

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

I do them as much as possible.

I figure that if the model is interested enough to come and discuss a prospective shoot with me, they're more likely to show up on the day.

It's worked for me so far, I see no reason to change my approach now..

Mar 06 06 08:29 am Link

Photographer

Scott Aitken

Seattle, Washington, US

It depends.

In an ideal world if I had loads of time on my hands, I'd meet with every model before hand. But everyone is busy, and sometimes it isn't really necessary. For commercial work that I'm doing for a client where a specific look is called for, then going through a reliable agency saves time, and I have a reasonable degree of certainty that the model will show up on time, will look how they are supposed to look, and will be reasonable to work with. That is one of the reasons we deal with agencies. We count on them to weed out the flakes and prima donnas.

On the other hand, if I am working on my art photography with amateur models, I always try to interview first. My art is very personal to me, and I need to make sure I get the right vibe with a model. I need to make sure they understand my weird lighting style. Meeting with them helps me get to know them a little bit, and see if they have particular talents or interests that might be used creatively in the shoot.

Mar 06 06 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I don't shoot internet models so there's never an issue with flakes, lack of reliability and overinflated egoes therefore I don't need pre shoot interviews. And all my shoots are awesome.

Mar 06 06 12:08 pm Link

Model

Brandy

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I've only done a pre-shoot interview once. I don't feel that they are necessary... I know that if I've planned a shoot with this person it is obviously for a reason, because I like their work. If I like your work I feel like we are already on the same level.

I prefer a detailed, concise email with details of the plans for the shoot, time I should arrive, what is necessary for me to bring, directions to the studio etc. I will email you back to confirm and will see you on the day that the shoot is scheduled for.

This is quick, easy, and doesn't take a lot of time...

Mar 06 06 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Preshoot Interviews, only when it's a big important Paying Job, not if it's TFP.

Plenty of Phone Conversations if TFP, no phone call, no TFP.

Mar 06 06 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

Universal Beauty

phoenixsansfyr wrote:
Model tossing her two cents in - I prefer pre-shoot interviews, because then I get to know the photographer a little better, and I'm less paranoid on the day of the shoot because I'm not completely meeting someone that I've never met with before.

This is a lot of the reason I prefer pre-shoot meetings--it breaks the ice, and a new model can be more comfortable meeting me the second time at our first shoot.  It also gives me a very strong signal that she is less likely to flake.  If she no-shows the pre-shoot meeting, I can, at least, enjoy a cup of coffee at Cracker Barrel (or wherever), I don't pay for her beverage or meal, and I don't get stiffed at the shoot, which is many times more aggravating!

I do a lot of first-time shoots without a pre-shoot meeting, but I prefer the pre-shoot meeting, if possible.

Mar 06 06 12:32 pm Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

I'd be more than happy to do a pre-shoot interview with a local person.  It would have to be on the weekend, during a day that I'm not already shooting, at a place that was easy to get to either before/after the shoot or work or errands.  Yeah, I'm busy on most weekends, and work full-time during the week.  So emails and phone calls work best for me.  Thing is, if I schedule a shoot I WILL be there and WILL bust my booty to get great shots whether our personalities mesh or not.  I have, though, had a photog flake on me (twice!) and we had both emailed and talked on the phone.  So I guess there's no fool-proof way to tell if someone's going to be great and reliable to work with.

Mar 06 06 12:42 pm Link

Model

-suede-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I dunno, but a model I went to HS with keeps "name dropping" my name to a photographer who is a very good friend of mine for a photoshoot, but every time he mentions a pre-shoot coffee and maybe we should invite S along, she beats a hasty retreat.  WTF?  big_smile  Maybe she is misunderstanding that he wants me to come hang with them at the shoot.   mmmmm, no.

Mar 06 06 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

Key

Long Beach, California, US

I do them. Kinda filters out the flakes and it's great to include the model in the creative process

Mar 06 06 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

VisionsofZen

Berkeley, California, US

I like them, but they don't always have to be in person, over the phone, via IM, or other real time option.  For me, I mainly want to make sure that we click.

Mar 06 06 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Senna Photography

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

I do pre-shoot interviews but also finding out that sometimes it a waste of my time because the model calls at the last minute to cancel or no-shows for it. But if I am traveling to the model then I would have talk to the model on the phone and have everything planned out. But finding out that models like the idea of meeting but some plan the meet and then flake on it which makes me curious if they will flake on the shoot.

Mar 06 06 01:34 pm Link

Model

InDecisivE

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Dslexic Phography wrote:
I've had some bad experiences with really hard to work with models and I've heard from some models that some photographers are really hard to work with(I couldn't imagine why=) )  In the begining of my career I would shoot anything what wanted me to shoot them or whoever was holding the checkbook.  For alot of my personal projects I casted on my own and basically just looked at portfolio's, a short call and that was it see you at the shoot.  Now I always meet with the models face to face before I shoot them to one get a good look at them in person, two to get their opinions about the shoot and three to see if we click.  My opinion is that the shoot is going to last 6-8 hours or sometimes only god knows how long I might as well shoot someone who's easy to get along with especially if I'm picking the model.  Well it's 4 something in the morning and post processing some images with my digi-tech and just got curious if anyone else does the interview thing.

I've met with a few photographers befor - initially to see if 'we even wanted to shoot'... We each display our portfolio's usually have coffee, and discuss times and dates of when we might be able to get together!
I'm not sure a meeting is overall necessary - Most of the time I can get a good feel for someone just over the phone, or on messengers!
It's also - not always possible when travel might be involved! - I do agree with the 'bond' before hand though..
I made a thread just the other day regarding 'relationships' I think this idea, is quite fitted to my point! -
Whether it's a meeting or just more interaction than usual - a relationship should be formed! - It's a job interview - You are hired for more than one reason, usually you dont' just get the job because you have a degree. Me personally - I'd hire the person I got a long with best - who had key skills but maybe not the 'best' over the guy who went to school for 10 years and was a complete arse! lol.

smile

Mar 06 06 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

AZZARA

BRONX, New York, US

I know i should--but dont. I dont always have the time to go into the city for a cup of coffee and meet a model.  The way i see it is you can GENERALLY get a close idea of what a model looks like if she has a lot of images online. From that point a phone call usually works. I know I can get a feel of how it will go by that call and models always say they know in their gut about a photog from a phone call. If the model isnt what you expected because she wasnt honest about looks or weight or whatever the case might be, you just be a gentleman and shoot and if it isnt going well just shoot less rather than hurt someones feelings. I know when I was shooting my book, a lot of the models had never done nudes before and the fact that we had not met before and they were suddenly standing without clothes in front of me really helped the images. Some looked shy, some got silly out of nervousness, some just took the "Oh Well, I'm here I better do this right" attitude and it ALL worked.  When I am doing a magazine shoot or an ad or something for a client I definately want to meet the model first and in most cases prefer if I had worked with them before.

Mar 06 06 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

for personal work, i like to have a face-to-face. my personal work is more about the story and less about fashion. there has to be a comfort level for me to get what i want and it's nice to break the ice before the actual shoot. i always try to have one personal meeting if the model is local. otherwise a few emails and a phone call usually does the job.

for a job--i have a go-see. (that's an industry term meaning a model, photographer, stylist will "go-see" potential clients.) if i can't personally do the casting i have an assistant or stylist/producer do it. either way, that's the chance to talk to the models for a minute or two while going through their books. we make notes about personality, features etc., and shoot polaroids that we clip to their comps. after looking at the selects, i may do a quick once over on the "rejects" just in case. 99% of the time i choose from the selects and will try to have a quick go see with the one or two final choices if i wasn't at the casting--sometimes with the client. most of the time the client just looks at the comps and polaroids of the top choices and picks their fave.

Mar 06 06 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

David Gillispie Photo

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I am working with a client for some in-store advertising at the beginning of next week....  One of the models that was chosen was delighted, excited, etc.  A very beautiful model but, not a professional model.  After sending her the details of the project I added at the bottom of the email that I would like to meet her.  Cleary explained to break the ice, see each others books, go over the shoot in detail.  This client is particularly important to me.  It's now been almost a week since I sent that email and am beginning to think she freaked/flaked b/c I wanted to meet.  I have a feeling she thinks I'm trying to meet her for other reasons.  I've decided to give her until mid-week then I'm going to pull the plug and replace her.  That will suck.  This is the kind of thing that puts a bruise on the whole process... when the model [I use "model" very loosely] does't understand that a go-see is very much routine.

Mar 06 06 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

I like to do them when I can.

Mar 06 06 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

Justin Flood

West Babylon, New York, US

I like to set up a meeting when doing a photoshoot almost ALWAYS a few days before the shoot.  If there is travel involved i like to set up a sit down meeting before the shoot , to go over the port.,  sign any releases , and generally get comfortable with the people im going to be working with.  My associate and I have found that a sit down meeting almost ALWAYS equates to a better looking photoshoot.  Much less stress involved in shooting a model who isnt nervous because she doesnt know who shes dealing with.

Mar 06 06 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

DSP_Productions

Lexington, Kentucky, US

Before I got into the advertising and modeling arena I spent years in portraiture.
How do you know what people want without the consultation?  In portraiture a big part of the game was helping people figure out what it was they really wanted. It always seemed like time well spent. If you are clear on what the client wants it is always much easier to get the desired results and plan for any extras props, wardrobe, ect.

Have handled the advertising and modeling the same way.

Always do a consultation/planning session prior.

plan your work, work your plan.

later,
david

Mar 08 06 08:21 am Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

I can't shoot without a consult. I need to know *exactly* what the model looks like, of course, but I also want to be able to brainstorm shoot ideas, review wardrobe options, show and see examples of ads/shots that we'd like to recreate, decide on locations for shots, etc. I find it hard to do that over the phone - since I can't really see that "perfect outfit" that the model wants to try. And I'm not about to ask her to get on a webcam to show me her outfit - that would come across as way too creepy/pervy! :-D I think it's also a good opportunity to hash out shoot details/expectations, and give both sides an opportunity to get comfortable with the other.

Wm

Mar 08 06 08:53 am Link

Photographer

John Allen

Cannes, Provence-Alpes-Côte-d'Azur, France

If it is a paid shoot then the tfp/test was the pre shoot interview.

If it is tfp/test then it doesn't take much more time to do the shoot than it would to meet with someone so why not just do the shoot.  Can't remember the last time I had an "interview".  Must be a couple of years.

John

Mar 08 06 09:37 am Link

Photographer

Chip Miller

Brooklyn, New York, US

I always like to meet the person first or at the very least have a phone conversation.  I like to make my shoots personable and laid back.  I work better if I have some sort of repoir with the person as opposed to meeting for the first time and just saying "ok now look sexy for me".
Just my 2 cents.

Mar 08 06 09:42 am Link

Model

PorchiaCorine

Portsmouth, Virginia, US

I have only met with a photographer before hand once and that was just because he wanted to! I dont prefer to meet with a photographer before the shoot simply because I usually have phone or e-mail conversations with them before the shoot and I know how well we will work together through that! If you are in the area and would like to meet thats fine I have nothing against that, but out of towners will have to put up with the phone and e-mail and I will see you at the shoot, unless Im in your area a day early and you would like to meet...then come on lets go to Starbucks or something! LOL!

Mar 08 06 10:00 am Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

I never do............select new models I interview over the phone and I can tell in less than 5 mins if they are material for the work I do
I get paid by most of the models, so after they pay the deposit they are gonna show up 99/8% of the time, I`ve had maybe 4 no shows for shoots in the past 5 years, I think it has to do with the quality of my work and the models who choose to work with me......not just anyone can shoot/model Retro the models either "got" it or she doesn`t and the $$$ paying factor weeds the flakes out quickly, so a short talk over the phone`s all I need

Mar 08 06 10:11 am Link

Model

Jeri Lynn Astra

Pleasantville, New York, US

I think they're great, if we have time. I enjoy seeing the photographer's work in person, and showing them some of my tear sheets and shots that are not currently on my online portfolio, which rotates between some classic shots and some of my newest stuff. Plus it eliminates that back and forth trying to figure stuff out (especially scheduling), which can be tricky at times without having a good old fashioned meeting. They are, however, not nessecary and I am more than happy to email or IM or speak on the phone if it's easier.

Mar 08 06 08:40 pm Link