Forums > General Industry > What ELSE can a tear sheet be?

Photographer

Malameel

Dallas, Texas, US

Hello,

I know what a tear sheet is historically.  However, it seems that in the spirit of the original concept (proof of published work by tearing out the sheet from its original publication), a modern tear sheet could be more than just magazine work. 

For instance, being in a commercial is still a job and a screen grab could be the tear sheet.  To continue other possibilities, a video pod cast (like hosting Mtv News), the cover a product like hair coloring (head model on Just for Men), or being on a website (fashion model on JCPenny.com) are all “publishedâ€? work.  (Of course I am not referring to things like “my spaceâ€? type website or work…) 

It seems to me that a model wants "proof" that she was given work professionally so that maybe others could be tempted to trust her as well for future work and therefore build her portfolio and value.

My studio does several types of productions other than print, mostly commercials, and it seems that saying you will get “tear sheetsâ€? is acceptable.

Let me know your opinions.
Thanks for your time!
Mark

Mar 06 06 02:36 am Link

Photographer

Malameel

Dallas, Texas, US

Surprised nobody commeted on this.  Does anybody use the term "tear sheets" for anything else?

Mar 11 06 01:39 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Mark S. Alameel wrote:
Surprised nobody commeted on this.  Does anybody use the term "tear sheets" for anything else?

A tear sheet is what a tear sheet is.  The Internet isn't going to change that.  What you are referring to is a "credit."  If you are on jcpenney.com, that is certainly a credit and a screen grab could be put in your book.  But a screen grab from a website isn't going to have the same impact with a casting director than a page from the printed catalog.

So keep those credits coming.

Mar 11 06 07:33 am Link

Photographer

Malameel

Dallas, Texas, US

That seems odd since many people do tend to use a wider definition of the term, and this wider scenario is what I am looking for: a reasonable modern definition. 

Now I am not trying to argue but make a point of what is the concept of a tear sheet, and then how does that concept apply today.  Obviously, on a classical definition, the actually tearing out of magazines was often the only way somebody could get any proof of work.

Now I am not trying to say that all things have the same weight, but they do all prove work, and that is all a tear sheet really is: proof of work.  I may even place more value on a website over a publication, for instance, being a model on JCPennys.com verses in a small ad in the back of a free magazine from a local grocery store.

Anyway, anybody else want to input?
Thanks,
Mark

Mar 15 06 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

HungryEye

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I don't think "tear sheet" has to be percieved any more literally than "cut and paste" or any other traditional term which has expanded into the digital domain.
  For a model or photographer to have his or her image on a banner ad means far better exposure than a full page ad in "Colloquial Firearms Monthly."
  I have used a couple of website coverpages in my portfolio, along with magazine covers and catalogue shots, and I don't feel cheapened in any way.
  I think the key element is that any image used as a tear sheet should reflect the validity of the work, and show that the individual is indeed fulfilling some commercial promise in their career.

Mar 15 06 11:29 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

This thread is discussing the first MM tear sheet.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=5752

I made a tear sheet the other night.

I got a treat and was on the bed.  I tried to hide it with my feet and hands and I was digging.

I ripped the sheets and my human yelled at me.

"you stupid little shit,  you tore my sheet."

What everyone here says it is a good thing.
She is clueless anyway.    I need a new human.

Hmmmmm,  Where do I put a casting call?   not the casting call section that would be too obvious.

Mar 15 06 11:54 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Mark S. Alameel wrote:
It seems to me that a model wants "proof" that she was given work professionally so that maybe others could be tempted to trust her as well for future work and therefore build her portfolio and value.

Okay,  okay,  serious answer.

You are correct.
What is a tear sheet but proof that you have worked and are capable of dealing with the real world.  To see a job to the end,  to show up on time and not flip out, to pay your dues.

So maybe we need a new term for what a tear sheet really is.  It HAS changed.

So what shall we call it?

Mar 15 06 11:58 pm Link

Photographer

Malameel

Dallas, Texas, US

Well Jack, I have no idea what you said in your first post, but it is late and I am not allowed to order another. 

However, as far as you second post, I agree that the term has evolved as all things in life and no point in holding on to an old definition when the concept is able to be applied to more than just print.  I just didn't want to be so bold as to define it myself.

I really do not care what it is called as long we understand the concept that is being referred to is seen.  Since I do mostly TV commercial work, I want to be able to post that the work will give great exposure, experience, and proof of work done, all this without sounding like a stretch of the imagination.  I see this work as also producing what traditionally has been called a tear sheet.

Are there any other bold takers that what to try to define a modern tear sheet?

Mark

Mar 18 06 02:20 am Link