Forums > General Industry > Expectations.

Model

InDecisivE

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

When you plan to work with someone - And after you do..

How often is it that someone exceeds your expectations... How often are you intrigued by someone you work with - to an extent that you could use them as a 'muse'....

When - How - Are you given ideas for your work..

It isn't very often that I find myself working with photographers that I am completely in sync with - but every so often you find the few that just click - someone you could just stop doign whatever you were doing - and shoot with that one person until your head fell off...

Have you experienced this? Do you believe in it....... Do you think it just happens, or is it created.

Mar 05 06 01:56 pm Link

Model

InDecisivE

IS a "muse" even a thing anymore........
Do people still have them........ Or it just another 'term'...

Mar 05 06 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

i think the idea of a "muse" still is there ...

speaking as a photographer, yes, in nearly 12 yrs shooting, on occasion, i've known a very, very few number of models who i would call "muse"; doens't seem to happen very often, and didn't ever seem to see it coming, but yes, it's been there.

perhaps a gift of the trade? who knows?

fml

Mar 05 06 02:10 pm Link

Model

McKenzie

Fort Myers, Florida, US

I would say a "muse" is something that gets thrown around a little too often.  Maybe what happens is the bonds that were made and the work that was created between the model and photographer were good, that both people see the best in each other and therefore continue to work on a regular basis with each other.  With that, the more work they both produce at the best at what they both can do...until one day the "spark" is just not there anymore. 

More than anything I think it is the relationship built and what they both bring to the table and create together.  I would say it is more of an outstanding working relationship and knowing both people are getting great work and both agree to continue to do what they can to continue that.

xoxoxoxo
McKenzie

Mar 05 06 02:13 pm Link

Model

InDecisivE

FML-Photography wrote:
i think the idea of a "muse" still is there ...

speaking as a photographer, yes, in nearly 12 yrs shooting, on occasion, i've known a very, very few number of models who i would call "muse"; doens't seem to happen very often, and didn't ever seem to see it coming, but yes, it's been there.

perhaps a gift of the trade? who knows?

fml

As a model - being this for someone would be a great accomplishment, in my eyes...
You don't here many people ever speak of it - Do photographers look for that.. Or is it just... - all different now?... You shoot whoever and are happy with that... Or is that something you look for - learn to want, or just never expect it...

Mar 05 06 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

as said, i never saw [muse] coming, i.e., didn't plan it, and no, i don't think you can make it happen; just one of those fleeting, last as long as it may, situations ...

fml

Mar 05 06 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I've had two muses in twenty years of photography.  They were psychotic, creative, funny, partied like mad, were horrible in the morning and made beautiful photographs with me.  They also picked up girls for me in clubs and made my photographs of other models better by pushing me hard.  Each of these muses was with me for just over a year.  Each was dangerous.

I don't expect a model to be a muse.  That's far too much to ask.  And I don't know if I'll ever have another one. 

The second part of the answer:  I photograph many of my models several times.  At some point there's nothing left for me to say.  Even with muses, this happens eventually. 

-Don

Edit:  It's important that the artist never even think he can "understand" the muse.  Not that men ever understand women....

Mar 05 06 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

There was one woman, she was not a model and I photographed her from the time she was 18 till she was 32.  I never grew tired of shooting her.

Mar 05 06 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

One model I shot with listened, actually listened, to my ideas and took to them instantly, added a few of her own twists, and posed marvelously, just the way I was looking for. We talked seriously, we joked and laughed, and it was all great. I suspect that she's like that with more photographers than not, which is why she's quite popular. It's her job, and she does it very well indeed. I thoroughly enjoyed shooting with her.

Mar 05 06 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Beebe

Tracy, California, US

McKenzie wrote:
...More than anything I think it is the relationship built and what they both bring to the table and create together.  I would say it is more of an outstanding working relationship and knowing both people are getting great work and both agree to continue to do what they can to continue that.

xoxoxoxo
McKenzie

The rapport / relationship reached is the key. I never expect this in a shoot. Sometimes, it's simply the "magic" of the situation and the personalities meshing.

I can remember maybe ten situations - with and without models - in some 30 years with the camera, where "whatever" film in the bottom of the camerabag got pulled into the shoot; maybe three or four times with the digital. Nothing was left to shoot!

Mar 05 06 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

jac3950

Freedom, New Hampshire, US

InDecisivE wrote:
As a model - being this for someone would be a great accomplishment, in my eyes...
You don't here many people ever speak of it - Do photographers look for that.. Or is it just... - all different now?... You shoot whoever and are happy with that... Or is that something you look for - learn to want, or just never expect it...

Muses aren't sought after or recruited... they evolve and emerge from working together over time. And, in my experience, they are few and far between.

Mar 05 06 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

I have found very few models who are passionate enough about creating beautiful images, that they always want to shoot or be a muse. Being a muse takes commitment, determination, patience, time and effort.
I think many models want to be shot once by a good photographer who can make them look beautiful and then they move on, scratching that photographer off their list in a "been there, done that" fashion. I also find that models who are totally into shooting multiple times, just to play around and create great photos are from Europe, maybe that's just my experience.

Mar 05 06 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

InDecisivE wrote:
When you plan to work with someone - And after you do..

How often is it that someone exceeds your expectations... How often are you intrigued by someone you work with - to an extent that you could use them as a 'muse'....

When - How - Are you given ideas for your work..

Have you experienced this? Do you believe in it....... Do you think it just happens, or is it created.

I don't think a muse has become a lost concept.  I don't think everyone has one.  I don't think everyone wants or needs one.  But they are around for some of us.

I have a muse.  She's not the best in terms of modeling, but we produce some great images together.  My creative juices flow very well with her.  She's been my muse since we met, which was long before I focused my creative talents into photography and inspires me to use my gifts in many different outlets (writing, illustration, etc) even when she's not around.

She isn't always the one who inspires my ideas, but she is frequently the figure with whom I visualize them, even if I don't shoot her for it.

Have I seen someone and been inspire to create images around her or him.  Certainly.  Not always to the extent that I consider such a person a muse for me.

Mar 05 06 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Jay Bowman wrote:
I don't think a muse has become a lost concept.  I don't think everyone has one.  I don't think everyone wants or needs one.  But they are around for some of us.

I have a muse.  She's not the best in terms of modeling, but we produce some great images together.  My creative juices flow very well with her.  She's been my muse since we met, which was long before I focused my creative talents into photography and inspires me to use my gifts in many different outlets (writing, illustration, etc) even when she's not around.

She isn't always the one who inspires my ideas, but she is frequently the figure with whom I visualize them, even if I don't shoot her for it.

Sounds like your Mom, Jay.

-D

Mar 05 06 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

i would say that Audrey and i inspire eachother a lot, because we've worked together for a while and each knows what the other is looking for in a picture.
and while finding a proper muse might be nice, i know that's one of those things that just sort of "happens". it can't be sought out, it can't be pursued. it has to just slip into your life, into your brain, without you knowing until it's already upon you.

oh, and as for the other half of the question - i usually know how things are going to go with Audrey, but other friends i've shot have been a mixed bag. but the last shoot i did (which yielded my newest picture) turned out SO much better than expected. i wasn't even sure if we were going to get to hang out and take pictures at all, but once the camera came out, it was just so evident that she was totally comfortable and a total natural. something definitely clicked, and i can't wait to shoot with her again.

Mar 05 06 07:45 pm Link