Forums > General Industry > Is this insulting to photographers

Model

Flip Ashley

Dallas, Texas, US

I was wondering if setting up back to back(shooting with one photographer one day and a different one the very next) shoots with different photographers is insulting. I wouldn't want to insult anyone but I really need the work as I am a new model. Give me your thoughts on this. ~Flip

Mar 05 06 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

as long as you show up on both, I don't see any reason why they should feel insulted LOL..good luck! smile

Mar 05 06 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

I can't much imagine that it would be...

Model

Nola

Austin, Indiana, US

I'm a new model too, but I really can't see how that would be insulting. It sounds like you're just doing well.  If that IS insulting though...I feel awful..as I've probably insulted a lot of people. I wouldn't worry about it.

Photographer

EyeBully

New York, New York, US

Not insulting at all. If you're planning to travel for a shoot, it's a smart idea to maximize time. Just ask what they plan to shoot so as to not duplicate looks/ideas.
Dhaniel

Mar 05 06 12:38 pm Link

Model

Flip Ashley

Dallas, Texas, US

Thanks.

Mar 05 06 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

Being in demand doesn't suck. The only photographers who would be insulted are "photographer/managers" who would consider you "theirs".

Mar 05 06 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Gettler

Pueblo, Colorado, US

Well it wouldn't be insulting to me.  Cause on the same notion I could shoot one model one day and even later that day shoot another model.  No biggie I would think.

Less of course there is an exclusive contract signed... but that would be extremely rare and well... stupid L()L

Mar 05 06 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Culture Photoz

Bloomfield, New Jersey, US

Not at all ! As long as you didn't cut the first shoot short of the agreed upon time, to get to the second one.

Mar 05 06 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Not a problem here...

BUT I do draw the line at what one model did about a year ago...
She wanted to do a commecial type shoot involving an outdoor setting with laptop/cell phone as props. We went ahead with the shoot and all turned out well.

Two days later I find out she did the same type shoot, same props, same pose, even same clothing with 2 other photog's! Weird huh?

I think she went back to teaching recently...

Mar 05 06 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

I've worked with models in the morning who needed to be done by a certain time so they could make an evening shoot with another photographer.

I wasn't the least bit insulted by this.

Flip Ashley wrote:
I was wondering if setting up back to back(shooting with one photographer one day and a different one the very next) shoots with different photographers is insulting. I wouldn't want to insult anyone but I really need the work as I am a new model. Give me your thoughts on this. ~Flip

Mar 05 06 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

retphoto

Sunbury, Pennsylvania, US

heck you could even do it the same day, for all that some of us care....

it's about the same as a Photographer working 2 models at the same time.

I've done it on several occasions, I just make sure BOTH know about the other. I start with who ever is ready first!, then while that one is changing, resting or what ever, I shoot the other one.

using this method I get both done and out the door in 4-5 hours for something that would of taken me 8-9 sperately....(that's MY plus)

to the models benefit, they may see something they like, and want me to shoot them that way....

Mar 05 06 12:46 pm Link

Model

Flip Ashley

Dallas, Texas, US

Rich Mohr wrote:
Two days later I find out she did the same type shoot, same props, same pose, even same clothing with 2 other photog's! Weird huh?

That would suck and be stupid I don't see why you would do the same shoot with different photgs. It seems like that would limit the good pics for your portfolio as well as make you seem one sided.

Mar 05 06 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

Peterborough, New Hampshire, US

Flip Ashley wrote:

Good question! It shows you have consideration for the photographer.

I'm not a model so I can't comment on how much a shoot takes out of you in a day. That said if I know a traveling model is "in-town" I will try as hard as I can to be the first photographer to shoot with him/her. If the only spot available is to be the 4th person to work with them and it's the day before they fly out, I wouldn't bother as the model could not possibly be at their best. I do understand that a model wishes to get in as many photo opportunities as possible during this time.

That said, as a photographer I will never shoot two back-to-back days. I put a lot of energy into each shoot and it simply is not possible, (for me anyway), to be totally fresh and recharged in one day.

There are two exceptions to this. The first, if a model has traveled some distance and the shoot has been particularly inspirational, my wife will set up a bed for the model and we would do a 2nd shoot the next morning, often in a different location. This way we both "come to the table" from a shoot the day before.

The other exception is when I am traveling. Last year I went on a trip where I often did two separate photos shoots a DAY! That was too much and it showed in my work. 

I hope this answers your question. wink

Mar 05 06 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

No, I booked and shot with two models in a borrowed studio back to back. One was from 10am till noon and the second was from noon till 2pm. Both were on time and both were 100% professional about everything.

Next question?

Mar 05 06 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Flip Ashley wrote:

That depends on if you have agreed to be monogamous with each other.

Mar 05 06 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

My only frustration is when a model contracts with another photographer same day.

Star

Mar 05 06 01:05 pm Link

Model

Flip Ashley

Dallas, Texas, US

Honestly I'm not particularly sure of how taxing a shoot would be either, considering my first shoot is this Friday and the second is the next day. I think driving in Dallas is enough to almost ruin me but I'll get over it. Man I hate driving in Dallas though. : )

Mar 05 06 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

FabioTovar

Culver City, California, US

its not like you are dating exclusively and sleeping with one then the other.

shoot with as many photographers as you want/can and as often.
even if its 2 or 3 a day.  AND you don't have to worry about catching a VD wink
you modeling slut/man whore wink

Mar 05 06 01:07 pm Link

Model

Brandy Engle

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Nope.

Mar 05 06 01:08 pm Link

Model

Flip Ashley

Dallas, Texas, US

FabioTovar wrote:
its not like you are dating exclusively and sleeping with one then the other.

shoot with as many photographers as you want/can and as often.
even if its 2 or 3 a day.  AND you don't have to worry about catching a VD wink
you modeling slut/man whore wink

Hah! I'm a pic whore. Okay here's another one. When you shoot with several at a close time I would imagine it is best to change out an avatar here back and forth every day to give each of them credit.

Mar 05 06 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

There is only one photographer and Pentax is his camera. Should I draw a cartoon?

Kidding.

The only thing I see wrong with shooting back to back with different photographers is using the same clothes for both. That's just weird.

Mar 05 06 01:33 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Huh?
I have shot with photographers back to back two in one day and then another the next day.
why would that be an insult.
Modeling is my work I'm not going to not let my self be booked and paid to only once a week.
Last week was crazy I did three workshops and several shoots all in several days time. One photographer even was at both events with me it worked out great.
I don't change my avatars to give photogs credit I change it to show my best images.

You are shooting to improve your book yes? Then shoot as much as possable to learn as much as possable. and to network as much as possable. Then to be paid as often as possable.

*this advice does not reflect the print world of modeling it only reflects my lowly internet experience*

Mar 05 06 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

There's no reason for a photographer to be insulted if you work with other photographers.

That said, I have known a few photographers who kept particular models to themselves in certain ways, like bad-mouthing other photographers in their area, or not passing along booking requests.  And I've known photographers to have words with one another over specific models, especially after a model did nudes for one photographer after having turned down another.

It's just a mantra that photographers and models have to keep repeating over and over:

Photography isn't the same as dating. 
Photography isn't the same as dating. 
Photography isn't the same as dating. . . .

Mar 05 06 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

jac3950

Freedom, New Hampshire, US

It's work... nothing more. In point of fact, it's freelance work. So, you're free to do whatever works, as long as you give each shoot your best. My mechanic doesn't apologize for servicing another car right after mine, and my dentist often sees more than one patient in a day.... it's work.... not dating.

Mar 05 06 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

The only way I imagine a photographer would be insulted would be if you blew one off to accommodate another or shoot his ideas with another instead of him.

Mar 05 06 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

Michael R Kihn Studios

Erie, Pennsylvania, US

Flip Ashley wrote:

No problem you need to do what you need to do just so you give the photographers
all you can give . Good luck I think it show you want really push you modeling career.

Mar 05 06 03:35 pm Link

Model

Jeri Lynn Astra

Pleasantville, New York, US

Definately not insulting.

Mar 05 06 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Hoot

Picayune, Mississippi, US

Iona Lynn wrote:
Huh?
I have shot with photographers back to back two in one day and then another the next day.
Modeling is my work I'm not going to not let my self be booked and paid to only once a week.
Last week was crazy I did three workshops and several shoots all in several days time. One photographer even was at both events with me it worked out great.

*this advice does not reflect the print world of modeling it only reflects my lowly internet experience*

Actually, it does represent the print world. I had situations where two clients both wanted the same model to shoot on the same day. Different products, so there was no conflict there. Fortunately, I was (almost) always able to work out the scheduling where everybody got what they wanted.

I could tell the one about the girl that shot for American Cheerleader Magazine the same day she went for a Playboy casting, but she didn't get the PB gig, so it's kind of anti-climatic. sad

As far as back to back days, it happened all the time.

There are some long and funny (now) stories about how I worked out some of the multiple bookings, but those will have to wait for the book. wink

Edited to add an opinion for the OP
Any photographer that is insulted by a model working with other photographers probably has issues you don't want to deal with. This might not be true in some specific cases about specific photographers, but in general, there shouldn't be an issue.

My 2¢

Mar 05 06 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Gerald Moss

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I can't see how this would be a problem...  I'm shooting a model next week in the afternoon, and another photographer I know is shooting her that same evening.  Only way I know is that the photographer is renting my studio for his shoot.  I'm not insulted in the least, and can't see why any photographer should be...

Gerald Moss
Las Vegas

Mar 05 06 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Olaf S

Allentown, Pennsylvania, US

Can you give 100% to both photographers?

Can you absolutely, positively be there on time both days?

Do you have an exclussive arangement with a photographer (not sure why you would)?

If your answers are yes, yes, and no, then I don't see a problem at all.

Mar 05 06 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

MartinCoatesIV

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

Iona Lynn wrote:
Huh?
I don't change my avatars to give photogs credit I change it to show my best images.

You are shooting to improve your book yes? Then shoot as much as possable to learn as much as possable. and to network as much as possable. Then to be paid as often as possable.

I not a fan of a model doing two full shoots in one day. If you can do it and be 100% at both shoot more power to ya, but I have been on the second half of that and had a model that was tired, unmotivated, and dificult to work with and I know she was great for the first guys shoot. one a day for two days in a row no prob. Showing up worn out from an earlier shoot that paid the same as I did, mean you consider my work less important and that is insulting.

Martin IV

Mar 05 06 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

MurphyMurphy Studios

Denver, Colorado, US

Absolutely not a problem.... work is work..... why would any photographer have an issue with that???

Good luck....

Dave

Mar 05 06 06:26 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

um..no.

But what about shooting with 2 in one day? I've done that several times.

Mar 05 06 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

I tried to shoot two models at once, but the bullet deflected off the fist models rib cage and disabled one of my strobe lights. The second model wasnt upset at all, so I think we can safely assume it's ok to shoot back to back.

:-)

Mar 05 06 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

No problem. I'd like to see a good model do well so that the model continues modeling.

I'm assuming also that it's not insulting to the model if I'm shooting with a different model later that day or the next day. It's the same situation. I believe others mentioned this, but I'm chiming in.

But I like the fact that the question was asked. Frankly, for all my "business is business" talk, I do wonder, in my art realm, if a model could take offense from my working with someone else soon after - if nothing else, from the standpoint of, "What's he shooting with her that he couldn't shoot with me (and pay me for)?" But I probably shouldn't worry that much about it.

Mar 05 06 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

Yeah- Id feel insulted.  Its like trying to cover the bases with insurance (like- well- if my images suck- maybe the other guys will be better).

Better to communicate ahead of time.

-Jose

Mar 05 06 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

CREATIVE MEDIA IMAGES

Enterprise, Alabama, US

every photographer you work with will give you a different look as to there passion.
good for you. as long as you show for your shoots. there time is money too.

henry

Mar 05 06 09:57 pm Link

Model

Isadora Whitewing

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Well, 
the only thing I can think of is if you were dealing with too many photographers at once,  so much that you got confused.  The idea or outfit or hair for a shoot got mixed up with another shoot. 
Write things down,  it helps!~

Mar 05 06 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

TREVOR GODINHO

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

i did somethin like that last sunday wit a model she was from out of town i even dropped her to the next shoot .. its fine just as long as u are on time and u dont make comments about the other persons style or work to the other photographer

Mar 05 06 10:05 pm Link