Forums > General Industry > Website rank.

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

My old website, Night Photographs & other work is ranked at 34,898 on the web today, with 10 of every 100,000 surfers viewing an average of 45 pages each.  (By comparison ModelMayhem is ranked at 2855 toay, with 170 of every 100,000 surfers viewing an average of 17.5 pages each.)

The ranking has gone up from about the one million mark due my new blog, which has been linked from a couple of very high traffic sites.

The good news is loads of people are seeing all my work and the bad news is that even though I have a pretty hefty server account, once again I'm over bandwidth.  Last time that happened I was sitting consistently around #125,000 and had to "nofollow" my erotic site to get the traffic down.

At this point I'm not sure whether I'll have to de-link some stuff to reduce traffic or go to the largest account my ISP offers, which starts to get expensive.

-Don

Mar 05 06 08:36 am Link

Photographer

Latent Image64

Hingham, Massachusetts, US

Love your  website Brian. Some very provocative images. You should write a book on getting more web traffic to our sites.

Mar 05 06 08:53 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Latent Image64 wrote:
You should write a book on getting more web traffic to our sites.

Actually there are some pretty good resources on the web for optimizing web traffic.

When I started the site I did a lot of research on the web.  My site is still ranked first when googling for "night photographs," "editorial fashion photographs" and half a dozen other word combinations.  The erotic site was first for even more word combinations until I nofollow'd it.

Back when I started you could submit a link to most search engines and through careful use of meta tags get onto the first page within a month.  Link exchanges worked (they mostly don't now) and there were other techniques for raising your listings.

The real key now is to be linked from"important" sites, with "important" being defined through a search engine formula that combines links in, traffic, number of links out, etc.

My blog wasn't started to bring traffic and I had no idea it would bring so much.  I think it's just a bow wave and will go down once the regulars at those sites linking in have seen their fill and other sites supercede mine.

-Don

Mar 05 06 09:12 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
At this point I'm not sure whether I'll have to de-link some stuff to reduce traffic or go to the largest account my ISP offers, which starts to get expensive.

Hey Don,

How much traffic are you doing (in Gig/Tera bytes) per month.  I'm sure it is huge, but if you wouldn't mind telling me, I can see what kind of discount I can get you at my host.

-James

Mar 05 06 10:47 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Hrmm....
You could sell prints of your work.
People love it. it would bring in money to pay for the hosting.

Mar 05 06 11:08 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

James Jackson wrote:

Hey Don,

How much traffic are you doing (in Gig/Tera bytes) per month.  I'm sure it is huge, but if you wouldn't mind telling me, I can see what kind of discount I can get you at my host.

-James

Looks like about 200 terabytes per month, based on the last three dailies.  For now I'll stick with the server I've had and see if the usage goes down.  If it doesn't in a week or so, I'll kill a few links and see if that helps.  I've had great experience with my ISP for the last eight years and will probably not change.

Thanks though,
Don

Mar 05 06 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Iona Lynn wrote:
Hrmm....
You could sell prints of your work.
People love it. it would bring in money to pay for the hosting.

That sounds like a good idea, but it doesn't work well, really.  I've done some gallery shows and have offered prints, but I print silver/gelatin and won't sell prints cheap.  And frankly I don't want to be selling single prints and packaging and shipping and all of that.  It's easier to just let commercial art buyers send me checks for scans, and I'm usually a fan of the easy answer.

-Don

Mar 05 06 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Have you considered Googel Ads on your sites? They help offset the cost. MM uses them.

Mar 05 06 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

I have considered ads on the blog, but I'm not really willing to be seen advertising something I don't actually advocate.  And I'm sort of an anti-consumer as well.   I'm not hurting for money - it's not really about that.  I guess I don't want to be that high on the skyline right now. 

I'd rather just get the traffic back down by cutting out the wankers I know are surfing the site and leaving those who have to dig a little deeper to see it.

Thanks,
D

P.S.  I've just changed the blog by using the blogger's server rather than mine to hold the images used.  That should cut back on image downloads from my own server at least.

Mar 05 06 01:32 pm Link

Model

scarletdiva

Los Angeles, California, US

wow

your images are fantastic

theyre electric

Mar 05 06 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
My old website, Night Photographs & other work is ranked at 34,898 on the web today, with 10 of every 100,000 surfers viewing an average of 45 pages each.  (By comparison ModelMayhem is ranked at 2855 toay, with 170 of every 100,000 surfers viewing an average of 17.5 pages each.)

How do you find those statistics Don?

Mar 05 06 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

If you want to know what your real ranking is, based on number of visitors, use Alexa.com - Your current ranking is 677,263 - for comparison, mine is  484,213 so I rank much higher. My reach per million intenet users is 3-5, yours is 1-5. Not yet time to cheer Don, but on a good way wink

You will need 3500 unique visitors a day (that's what I get) to catch up with me.

Mar 05 06 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

Looks like about 200 terabytes per month, based on the last three dailies.

Wow Don, that's insane!

Are you sure you didn't put a decimal in the wrong place somewhere?  At 200 terabytes you'd take down most ISPs

Mar 05 06 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

UdoR wrote:
How do you find those statistics Don?

Alexa.com is the place to check web rankings.

In addition I have a log report and can see daily page downloads and some other statistics.

As of today, my traffic has gone down.  Partly because the blog is no longer brand new and partly because I moved the images from my site to the blog's server.

Because the traffic has gone down a bit, that estimate of 200 gigabytes is obsolete.  Maybe a monthly of 100TB or less, I hope.  The dailies were between 6 and 7.2GB over three days when I first checked my server reports. 

-Don

Edit:  One terabyte is one thousand megabites, right?  Wrong - Nelson, you idiot!  I think I missed gigabytes in there somewhere.  What I've seen is 6,000 to 7,200 megabytes per day.

Mar 06 06 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

In addition I have a log report and can see daily page downloads and some other statistics.

As of today, my traffic has gone down.  Partly because the blog is no longer brand new and partly because I moved the images from my site to the blog's server.

Because the traffic has gone down a bit, that estimate of 200 TB is obsolete.  Maybe a monthly of 100TB or less, I hope.  The dailies were between 6 and 7.2TB over three days when I first checked my server reports.

-Don

Don,

you're most likely meaning Giga bytes, not Terra. Your sites name would have to be Yahoo.com to have a Terrabyte bandwidth used in a day. Since your traffic does seem rather high and is probably close to mine, I would guess you are talking about Giga Bytes instead. I use around 6-7 GB a day.

Good job though, getting quality traffic ain't that easy wink

Mar 06 06 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Yeah, I figured that out and edited my last post.

-Don

P.S.  My one week ranking is 201,000 and today it's 317,000, so it looks like the spike is gone.

Mar 06 06 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Don,

can you link me to where you see these numbers? Cause I see something completely different. Not sure whether it's mee looking at wrong places.

Mark

Mar 06 06 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

The Alexa site is here:  http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traff … =fotog.net

My server with bandwidth usage is behind my login ID and password, however.

-Don

Mar 06 06 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Oh, I didn't want your server login, lol - that is nobody's but your own business. But I still see your current Alexa ranking is 677,263. Where did you get the 201,000 and 317,000 from?

Mar 06 06 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

MarkMarek wrote:
Oh, I didn't want your server login, lol - that is nobody's but your own business. But I still see your current Alexa ranking is 677,263. Where did you get the 201,000 and 317,000 from?

Look below the chart.

-D

Mar 06 06 02:16 pm Link

Model

Lady Atropos

Toledo, Ohio, US

Congrats on the rating! My own website has a nice alexa and google rating smile

Mar 06 06 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

Very cool, thanks Don!

I checked it and my website ranking is over 2 Million... means clearly I have to finish my website sometimes soon and see that I can increase the traffic to my site.

Mar 06 06 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

smile Cool, i see it now. Just learned something new wink

You sure sky rocketted your traffic in last few days. I'm getting my site overall redone (withdrawing all fashion, swimwear and other boring stuff and boosting galleries with full sets of my latest nude and erotic work only) so it looks very messy right now and my partner links are all messed up too. I think the type of visitors you get is similar to what I'm getting. Perhaps we could mutually benefit from traffic exchange between our sites. Would you be interested?

Mar 06 06 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

MarkMarek wrote:
smile Cool, i see it now. Just learned something new wink

You sure sky rocketted your traffic in last few days. I'm getting my site overall redone (withdrawing all fashion, swimwear and other boring stuff and boosting galleries with full sets of my latest nude and erotic work only) so it looks very messy right now and my partner links are all messed up too. I think the type of visitors you get is similar to what I'm getting. Perhaps we could mutually benefit from traffic exchange between our sites. Would you be interested?

I pretty much froze my links page a few years back with only listings of old friends, but might link from the blog http://www.hotelroomnudes.blogspot.com when you're ready.  I am considering dropping my erotic site http://unexpurgated.net completely and integrating that work into the fotog.net site again.

Mar 06 06 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Solved.   

Two huge sites were hotlinking my images.  A French erotic site and that famous huge stealer of images in the U.S.  I've renamed my directories to prevent that and the bandwidth has dropped down to almost normal now.  Both of those sites were providing credits and links as well, so I don't really have a complaint, I just don't need the traffic.

-Don

Mar 11 06 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
Looks like about 200 terabytes per month, based on the last three dailies.  For now I'll stick with the server I've had and see if the usage goes down.  If it doesn't in a week or so, I'll kill a few links and see if that helps.  I've had great experience with my ISP for the last eight years and will probably not change.

Thanks though,
Don

200 terabytes WOW good f***ing gravy your popular. The best my sites ever had was about 2 gigs an hour and my isp shut it down. Some bloggers hot linked to Rich and my www.secondskinimages.com site and killed our bandwith. For a while we were running about 10 gigs a day but we stoped udating the site with new photos and are like a 1/4 that now.

Mar 11 06 10:32 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Dan  Hood  MM/Moderator wrote:

200 terabytes WOW good f***ing gravy your popular. The best my sites ever had was about 2 gigs an hour and my isp shut it down.

I corrected that earlier.  Should be 200 GBytes per month.  I think.  Well, it's over the hump now in any case and my site is back down to something like 5000 page downloads a day.

-Don

Mar 11 06 11:18 am Link