Forums > General Industry > The Lens...AHH! THE LENS!

Model

-Katrina-

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Pardon the "attempt at drawing interest" title...
but I just wanted to state, and ask if anyone, (either initially or currently) finds the camera lens intimidating...
I have my first photo shoot this weekend (and I know this is something I gotta get over) but a while ago, dec 05, i audutioned for a fashion show, and they took head shots and the camera had to have been like....8inchs from my nose, and it was a "could you be ANY closer to my face" feeling

Anywho, how do you models know how to "turn it on" for the camera and do poses that show up nice on film. Cause I feel like there's this difference between doing as am amateur what feels right, and then what actually looks right. Cause too often I see what I call "the booty girl" poses, you know, the girls who pose hard as ish, and its like their body is straining to make a 'Z' and inevidably pokin their booty out...

i know something like this just came up in photography about how to guide girls into poses, but to the models, i say...how to you guide yourselves.

Gracias

-Katrina-

Mar 03 06 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I usually shoot with at least a mild telephoto lens partly for that reason - it allows a lot of space between me and the model - so no intimidation.  The other reason is that telephotos are generally more flattering!

Mar 03 06 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

-Katrina- wrote:
Pardon the "attempt at drawing interest" title...

If it makes you feel any more validated; I've actually bumped in to a model with the lens before....

Mar 03 06 06:35 pm Link

Model

-Katrina-

James Jackson wrote:

If it makes you feel any more validated; I've actually bumped in to a model with the lens before....

lmao...see...its people like you im scared of...lol

Mar 03 06 06:36 pm Link

Model

Phoenix E

honestly, i think the best guideline is simply to only do things with which you do feel comfortable....
something that may make you feel better (usually possible in this world of digital) is to ask to look at some of the images as the shoot progresses....that way you have a feeling for what the results actually are, and you can make changes if you're not happy with what you see

Mar 03 06 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

Lee K

Palatine, Illinois, US

Ummm....

how do I put this...

if the photographers are getting that close they're not anything close to a good photographer.  Unless you're trying to do some intense wide angle full body shot with tons of distortion on purpose, the lens shouldn't end up anywhere near you.  Most headshots or head and shoulders framed shots should be shot with anything from an 85mm to a 135mm lens (50mm to say 85mm on a 1.5/1.6 crop body) which isn't anything close to being intrusive to the model.  Even with full body shots you should be about the same distance away, because you're using a wider lens.  I could imagine someone trying to get a full body shot but using too wide of a lens to the point where they may be uncomforably close but even with that we're talking about close enough to cause TONS of distortion.

Who was this guy who was that close for headshots?

Mar 03 06 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

James Jackson wrote:

-Katrina- wrote:
lmao...see...its people like you im scared of...lol

That's nothin'. I was using a wide-angle and doing closeup work... I reached out to point to the model's arm to show her how I wanted it moved and over-reached and poked her in the eye. When you combine poor depth perception with wide-angle distortion, the results are not pretty. wink

Mar 03 06 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

was that a long lens?

Mar 03 06 07:00 pm Link

Model

-Katrina-

Zulu22 wrote:
Ummm....

Who was this guy who was that close for headshots?

it was just a picture for the fashion show to have for their files, the general closeness wasnt the issue as it simply sparked the fact that lens can be intimidating

Mar 03 06 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
was that a long lens?

Not so long, but a 10-22 uses the 77mm filter, so it is fairly wide...

Mar 03 06 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Gerome Wright

Oakland, California, US

How much space in the studio did the photographer? or was he/she limited with the camera equipment they had. I like doing headshots with a 70-200 mm lens

Mar 03 06 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

was that a long lens?

or are you just happy to see me?
har har.

anyway, when i'm on the modelling side of things, it usually takes me a minute to get my bearings and relax, but if the photographer is any good, the comfort level is established pretty early on.

Mar 03 06 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

J Sigerson

Los Angeles, California, US

was that a long lens?

and was it waist high by any chance?

Mar 03 06 07:18 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

-Katrina- wrote:

it was just a picture for the fashion show to have for their files, the general closeness wasnt the issue as it simply sparked the fact that lens can be intimidating

It's not the lens that's the problem, it's the person behind it.  I learned that on my first photoshoot to not look at the photographer, but to look at the lens. If it really bother's you, then try looking at an imaginary spot beyond and just above the lens.

Mar 03 06 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

In general, shooting that close will cause distortion. Usually it's either for the wide/fisheye look or if he's going for an eye macro. For headshots though it's better off to go with a tele to compress the features - it's more flattering.

Mar 03 06 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Mikel Featherston wrote:

Not so long, but a 10-22 uses the 77mm filter, so it is fairly wide...

mike you are confused by th metric conversion.
10mm is NOT impressive

Mar 03 06 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

mike you are confused by th metric conversion.
10mm is NOT impressive

That was my mistake of thinking it was all about me. I was distracted by work, else I'd have left it alone. wink

Mar 03 06 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

seriously, I use a 100mm prime lens for shy models.  That way I am not close to them!

50mm for comfortable models

and 12-24 mm  for sk... nah 'experienced' models!

Mar 03 06 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

seriously, I use a 100mm prime lens for shy models.  That way I am not close to them!

50mm for comfortable models

and 12-24 mm  for sk... nah 'experienced' models!

28-70mm for most work, although I have pulled out the 70-200mm on occasion. If I am going for something 'different' I pull the 10-22mm or the 15mm fisheye. Or the 85mm for low light. wink

Mar 03 06 07:49 pm Link

Model

-Katrina-

Um....Y'all seriously got off topic, or at least from responses I wanted...

the question, or argument wasnt so much on the fact that the camera was so darn close, it was more of a "how to models get over being intimidated by the camera in order to evoke good poses"

yea, i think that above was a better statement of what I was trying to say....I tried to let the thread go on like it was but there seemed to be no hope of...me gettin the answers i wanted

Mar 03 06 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Lee K

Palatine, Illinois, US

-Katrina- wrote:
the question, or argument wasnt so much on the fact that the camera was so darn close, it was more of a "how to models get over being intimidated by the camera in order to evoke good poses"

Well you didn't do the best job of making that point.  You said specifically how close he was to your face.  If he was 8 inches (or even 2 feet) from your face, as you estimated, that's probably the main reason you're having this issue.   A proper "headshot lens" would have never caused this problem unless you have some sort of mental problem where you are convinced that the camera is going to shoot a missle at you or something.

Mar 03 06 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Katrina,  we are having fun.

The photog should sense your mood and experience.
The  answers indcate that if that bothers you then we can get the shot from further away.
It is very hard to ignore that person pointing a camera in your face.
You will get in that in time.  treat us like the BF ignore us!

Mar 04 06 12:20 am Link