Forums > General Industry > How do you know if an agency is legitimate?

Model

Tonya A

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

I was offered to work with an agency across the pond and am still very skeptical on how legitimate it is?  How do I know, especially if they have not sent me a website to look at what they are?

Mar 03 06 11:13 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

During the past few weeks there's been alot of (fake) agencies from "across the pond" that have been contacting females on modeling websites.

Typically, those 'agencies' are attempting a "Nigerian 419" scam.  The most common method they're currently using for models is offering a large paying job along with free hotel and airline tickets,  however the model must place some form of 'security deposit' to keep her from flaking out. 

Usually the deposit is sent via Western Union because the money is untraceable and cannot be recouped.  The security deposit is kept by the company, and no... they don't have a high paying job, hotel, or transportation available for you!

If the agency is legitimate, they most likely will be incorporated in one way or another (Inc, LLC, LLP, LTD, N.V., S.A).   The agency will probably have business license and possibly a specialized license as well.   Gov't websites in jurisdictions where they are located will often allow you to check their database from the comfort and security of your own home.

Mar 03 06 11:41 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Real agencies have real clients.  They also don't ask you to pay money to them.  A real agency finds you work and collects their fee from what the client pays.  Keep in mind that there are beautiful people all over the world.  If you are approached by a foreign agency, and you do not have a substantial track record of being an internationally booked model, then it is probably a ruse.  It doenst make good business sense for an forign agency to solicite inexperienced talent from far away.

Mar 03 06 01:06 pm Link