Forums > General Industry > Just wondering...

Model

Belle OHara

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Whats the deal on MM with some people getting more feedback on their work than others? Several of my posts have gone completely ignored even.  I'm just looking to improve where I can. So whats up?

Mar 03 06 02:35 am Link

Photographer

artist

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Belle OHara wrote:
Whats the deal on MM with some people getting more feedback on their work than others? Several of my posts have gone completely ignored even.  I'm just looking to improve where I can. So whats up?

Don't take it personally.

It has to do with a lot of things, like where you are located, who you've already [worked] with, and other stuff smile

Scott
aka Bodyartist

Mar 03 06 02:39 am Link

Model

CEECEE

Lincoln, Nebraska, US

Belle OHara wrote:

I get the same darn thing and it's like I am talking to myself smile

Mar 03 06 02:40 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Belle OHara wrote:

Belle OHara
Female

Does it occur to you where the proportion may be?

Mar 03 06 02:40 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Tiger Eyez wrote:

Tiger Eyez
Female

I rest my case.

Mar 03 06 02:41 am Link

Photographer

artist

BTW:  It's also hard to critique model portfolios, since most seem to end up with "you're hot" or "Your legs are great" ,etc.

It's easier to critique a photography/art portfolio, than someone's attributes.  And, the most valuable things about a model - like how easy she was to work with, how prompt she is, etc don't show up in the pictures.

It's a lot easier to critique a model you've worked with, on how she did, rather than how she appears in photos.

If there is something specific you are looking for feedback on in the images, it's a lot easier, and you'll probably get more reasonable, and valuable information that way.

An example is the "I look mean" post awhile back.

Scott
aka Bodyartist

Mar 03 06 02:42 am Link

Model

CEECEE

Lincoln, Nebraska, US

Nihilus wrote:

Tiger Eyez wrote:

I rest my case.

ME TOO

Mar 03 06 02:42 am Link

Model

CEECEE

Lincoln, Nebraska, US

I put up a post for Nebraska Model and I have only got one reply......
So I guess talking to myself is slim smile

Mar 03 06 02:45 am Link

Photographer

artist

Tiger Eyez wrote:
I put up a post for Nebraska Model and I have only got one reply......
So I guess talking to myself is slim smile

If you live in NY, LA, Chicago, etc you are going to get more offers.  If you are in a college town, you'll get more offers.

But, don't take it personally.

Some people only critique portfolios or tag people they are trying to work with.

I tend to tag people I don't plan on working with, and that makes me more objective.  Of course, I'll tag/critique people I have worked with, to help them get more offers from others wondering if they are good to work with.

Also, portfolios with nudes get more comments (people just can't help telling someone how sexy she is, or how great her legs are, etc).

I tend to skip over portfolios that don't have nudes, just because my interest lays in the nude, body-as-art, etc.  Fashion modeling doesn't really interest me any more.  So, it has to be something unusual that catches my eye about the person, an image, or the whole portfolio before I'll comment, and I'll usually do it by message, since they are my thoughts, and don't need to be out in public.

Your portfolio fits into that latter group.  I've looked, but it's not my area of photography to hook me into commenting.

On the other hand, being in Pittsburgh  I feel your pain wink

Scott
aka Bodyartist

Mar 03 06 03:14 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

Nihilus wrote:

I rest my case.

LOL

EDIT* Have you tried to network in your area?

Mar 03 06 03:17 am Link

Photographer

Frank Hart

Port Republic, New Jersey, US

Kentucky is not exactly a moel'photographer mecca and Nebraska even less so. Belle I think your portfolio is a bit too unconvential for most--I do some nude work so i see things I like-and if you lived in the Ny/Philly area you would already have done a shoot with me. I pass over checking out many models portfolios because they are too far away to be of any interest o location is a big factor.

Mar 03 06 07:35 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

I get about 1-3 comments a week, if that.  If you want to get comments, you might wanna try to ask for folks' opinions over in the critique forum.  smile

Mar 03 06 07:44 am Link