Forums > General Industry > Does anyone just shoot for fun anymore?

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

What's the point of doing anything you don't enjoy in life?

Mar 03 06 10:49 am Link

Photographer

Heather Cole

Fort Thomas, Kentucky, US

At this point, I think I'm very lucky to be a beginner. As one, I can go anywhere and do anything with anyone that wants (all within reason, mind you) and I never have to worry about pleasing a client or all that junk that goes along with being commercial. And if I happen to sell something that's great- mochas all around! But, in the end, having fun is the only reason I do it. smile

Cheers!
Heather

Mar 03 06 10:52 am Link

Photographer

C Hansen Photography

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

That's pretty much what I do all the time.  Granted I'm in studio most of it but it's for fun for me.  Serious for the models but I'm always having a great time when I'm poppin' shots.

Mar 03 06 10:54 am Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

I love shooting.  I have friends and students that aren't necessarily interested in modeling but want some nice pics.   Gives me a chance to just hang out, give me more practice and have some fun and I can experiment with different stuff too.   And there are days I'll just shoot random things just to use my camera. :-)

Mar 03 06 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I've tried it:

https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=20080

...but my no-show rate skyrocketed.

Mar 03 06 11:04 am Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

Okay, I haven't read the whole thread, so if this has already been said - sorry. 

I think it's important to do stuff like that every now and then.  Keeps your mind fresh, keeps it fun.  Otherwise, it becomes such a JOB.  Personally, some of my best shots and greatest moments have come during the impromptu, drive until we find a cool spot, shoots.  Have a great time!

Mar 03 06 11:06 am Link

Photographer

PlasticPuppet

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I like shooting just for fun.  My picture of Detroit in my portfolio was me deciding that day I'd take a walk to the river and take picture of the sunsetting.  It's not the best picture of Detroit, but it made me happy at the time.  My old website had tons of photos from shows which I enjoyed taking, and of course my urban exploration.  Sometimes however, I just sit there, late at night taking pictures of various things (eg pop cans) and throwing light at it from different angles.  And now that the cold weather is almost gone, I hope to do all that kind of stuff again!

Mar 03 06 11:11 am Link

Photographer

MWPortraits

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Moraxian wrote:

Nice shot... we have a cat with eyes that blue at home.  Is that fine looking 4-legger a Snowshoe like ours?

Actually, Lily (the cat) is half Seal Pointe and half tabby. And, I have to admit, that's an enhancment of her eyes. They're really an ice blue, quite pale, but I wanted to make her look intense. This was the next good one I got of her:

https://tn3-2.deviantart.com/fs9/300W/i/2006/060/4/8/Wrath_by_Lydia_KCMo.jpg

(I know she looks fierce, but she was actually just licking her teeth because I gave her a treat for being such a good model on the previous pic...lol)

Mar 03 06 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

I ABSOLUTELY only shoot for fun and personal enjoyment. This rule has not been broken since I jumped head over heels into photography in 1972.

Avocation, yes. A business? ... no way, Jose. I refuse all pay and job offers.

I think it's a bad mistake to try to make a business out of serious pleasure. It will kill the buzz. Guaranteed. I need a creative outlet and exposure to opportunity. I'm a hedonist and life intoxicates me. Photography is a wonderful  medium to lubricate this mindset.

Besides, if we want to make money, we should not waste time trying to do it in the photography industry. There are FAR easier ways to make abundant money elsewhere. Trying to survive as a photographer for hire is like trying to survive as a janitor. (I respect janitors, but it's a hard grind to try to pay the bills)

Amateurs worry about equipment
Professionals worry about money
Masters worry about light

I love it all and I don't worry about anything.

Click Hamilton :-)
http://www.pbase.com/click_hamilton/photos

Mar 03 06 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Having fun is overrated!

Mar 03 06 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

RayShanePhotography

LA JOLLA, California, US

Lol, they're called TFP's  lol, I have fun on everyshoot honestly, but you know, when I don't have anything to do...I look for TFPs

Mar 03 06 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

this is pretty much how i work all the time.
most of the pictures in my portfolio here are of my friends, Audrey in particular.
we've never signed a contract or release, never negotiated, never spent more than a minute fleshing out all the heavy details.
we just get together some day, order in some food / i cook something, and maybe eventually we get around to taking pictures of her in whatever she's recently bought, or whatever costume prop nonsense i have laying around.
then we eat some more, maybe drink some more, lie around swapping backrubs or complaining about her rockstar boyfriend, and then she goes home.

i know i can't expect this with every model, and that's ok.
i've actually gotten some offers from some fairly professional strictly-business oriented models on here, and i know it will have to be different with them than with one of my good close friends, but that's ok. that's how i learn to be a professional, i guess, even if it's not as fun (or just as fun, but in different ways).

Mar 03 06 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff B Photos

Frisco, Texas, US

All of my work so far has been shoot for fun. money is just a bonus that comes every now and again. smile i already have a 8-5. i would never want my photography to feel like work.

Mar 03 06 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

lawsonpix

Havre de Grace, Maryland, US

actualy i shoot for fun as much as i can... only problem is when people found out i do it for fun... people came from everywhere for a free photo shoot... so then it's no fun anymore... then when i have to buy some equipment, i realize that i better get some money or my fun will break my bank account.... so i shoot for fun every chance i get, and i shoot for profit every changce i get smile but the fun is MUCH better...

Mar 03 06 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

SKPhoto

Newark, California, US

Mar 03 06 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

SKPhoto

Newark, California, US

MEWanoDesigns wrote:

Actually, Lily (the cat) is half Seal Pointe and half tabby. And, I have to admit, that's an enhancment of her eyes. They're really an ice blue, quite pale, but I wanted to make her look intense. This was the next good one I got of her:

https://tn3-2.deviantart.com/fs9/300W/i/2006/060/4/8/Wrath_by_Lydia_KCMo.jpg

(I know she looks fierce, but she was actually just licking her teeth because I gave her a treat for being such a good model on the previous pic...lol)

Maybe I should turn in my sand bag for a really heavy bag of kibble.  Turn to the lleft and hold out your hand...there that's a good model.  Bwahahahahahahah!

Mar 03 06 07:28 pm Link

Model

ModelCrystal

Slippery Rock, Pennsylvania, US

SKPhoto wrote:
I mean really.  I'm looking at this weekend, the kid is gone to some seminar in Tahoe and I have no obligations for once.

The weekend is all mine.

The stray thought crossed my mind...gee, I wonder if anyone would just want to go out and shoot...for fun.

No lights.
No backdrops.
No brainstorming.
No time constraints.
No pay.
No having to negotiate how many images, and then the work to get it done on time or have a model deluging your email and voicemail.
No outift changes.
Ad nauseum.

Just get up early, go out somewhere, shoot and be shot.  Maybe even take a nature shot or two.  Admire the scenery.

Anybody do that anymore?

If you were a bit closer you could count me in I love shooting.....
         Much love Crystal

Mar 03 06 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

SKPhoto

Newark, California, US

ModelCrystal wrote:
If you were a bit closer you could count me in I love shooting.....

And from your nature shots, not afraid to get wet (in the river) for art's sake. smile

A model after my own heart.

Mar 03 06 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

You must not have alimony payments  due! shoot for free!

Mar 03 06 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

SKPhoto

Newark, California, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
You must not have alimony payments  due! shoot for free!

Nope, no alimony payments.  No more tuition payments either.

I better make a plan, soon I'll be awash in free time and even a little spendable cash. My God!!!!!!!

Mar 03 06 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Kennedy

Canton, Georgia, US

Shooting for fun keeps the art real.  I get thrown some cash sometimes, but I like best the "work" done for fun.

Mar 03 06 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

Robert_Darabos

Saginaw, Michigan, US

i try to.
people tell me its unprofessional.
so i do non-model stuff for fun.

Mar 03 06 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, US

I always shoot for fun. i don't need the money. LOL

Mar 03 06 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

I shoot for fun, I shoot from the hip.  Sometimes I have to pay for fun though.

Mar 03 06 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

Marek Mezyk

Franklin Lakes, New Jersey, US

I shoot for myself only. And the more I reazlize that, the better it feels. Its Fun!
-Marek

Mar 03 06 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher N.

Troy, Michigan, US

When it stops being fun, I'll stop shooting. But for now its all fun, primarily thanks to the models I work with....

Mar 03 06 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

cnphoto

West Jordan, Utah, US

What other reason is there to shoot? For fun is all I ever do.

Mar 03 06 10:50 pm Link

Model

Lady Atropos

Toledo, Ohio, US

SKPhoto wrote:
I mean really.  I'm looking at this weekend, the kid is gone to some seminar in Tahoe and I have no obligations for once.

The weekend is all mine.

The stray thought crossed my mind...gee, I wonder if anyone would just want to go out and shoot...for fun.

No lights.
No backdrops.
No brainstorming.
No time constraints.
No pay.
No having to negotiate how many images, and then the work to get it done on time or have a model deluging your email and voicemail.
No outift changes.
Ad nauseum.

Just get up early, go out somewhere, shoot and be shot.  Maybe even take a nature shot or two.  Admire the scenery.

Anybody do that anymore?

Seriously...that sounds like a lot of my shoots - as a model I do this for fun...not money or anything else really

Mar 03 06 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

Yes... often.

Mar 03 06 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

It is always for fun, otherwise why do it. Getting paid is a bonus
Bob

Mar 03 06 11:21 pm Link