Forums > General Industry > Favorite photography book...and why...

Model

Cygnet

Los Angeles, California, US

I have so many favorites - I know it is a cruel question to ask! 

Nick Brandt's - On this Earth - I feel like I can see into the souls of the animals he photographs!  I'm also going to Africa in July - my lifelong dream trip!

Michael Thompson 'images' -  His perspective is constantly changing, yet it doesn't lose exquisiteness...he never bores me. 

Any of Richard Avedon's work....I love photography that goes past capturing a beautiful image - it is more fascinating to me what is beyond the image.

your turn!

wink

Mar 02 06 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Basil Foxtrot

telex iran - gilles peress

haiti - bruce gilden

motel fetish - chas ray krider

los alamos - william eggleston

american surfaces - stephen shore

sticks and stones - lee friedlander

why, mister, why - geert van kesteren

Mar 02 06 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

emiliano granado

Brooklyn, New York, US

the americans.  period.

Mar 02 06 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

Books?  People still look at BOOKS???

Mar 02 06 01:59 pm Link

Model

Cygnet

I do....love to go to a park, the beach etc - bring a photography book and muse.  I love the internet, but I love being outside...more.

Mar 02 06 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

WBV Artography

San Antonio, Texas, US

"Art of Woman"  Mark 'WhiteBear" Henry

Yes-my own.   Got first print in the mail today and it's brought two of the models in it to tears [the cover model- a 56 year old woman]

Will be making some changes to the format, removing some of the work and replacing it but it is impressive overall.   I'm quite happy wwith it and it will go for sale by years end along with-hopefully, three others I'm working on.

Mar 02 06 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Art & Fear by Bayles and Orland.  Why?  Because it guides, simply and reasonably, the life of making art.

I like photography books with other people's pictures and like biographies of photographers (reading Cartier-Bresson's bio right now) and don't have much use anymore for technical books, but a book that tells me how to face the next day and keep making my stuff is invaluable.

-Don

Mar 02 06 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Eikona

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The Knife and Gun Club by Eugene Richards.

Richards is a New York photo documentary genius who's inserted himself into some pretty closed communities. This is from time he spent in the Emergency room at Denver General Hospital some years ago.

Mar 02 06 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Black Ladies
by Uwe Ommer (Photographer)

feast your eyes on it and see Y

Mar 02 06 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

Moonlight Photography

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Cygnet wrote:
I do....love to go to a park, the beach etc - bring a photography book and muse.  I love the internet, but I love being outside...more.

Heelllllloooooooo!! Laptop!! LOL

Mar 02 06 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

FreshWidows

Marseille, Provence-Alpes-Côte-d'Azur, France

I have only this one...
49€ for 288 pages in 30x40cm!

https://www.taschen.com/media/images/original/fo_terryworld.jpg
It was very interesting to know what think the man i met with an "cheap camera" a Konica Big mini in plastic, even if perhaps i know he own a Contax G2 too.

Interview
website
Webzine

https://www.taschen.com/media/images/380/fo_terryworld_04.jpg
I still have an American Flag in home too lol.

Mar 02 06 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

people by roxanne lowit
smile i-d (i-d magazine retrospective)
any helmut newton book
maripolarama
deus ex machina by ralph gibson

Mar 02 06 08:46 pm Link

Model

Cygnet

hmm.  Still haven't found a park with Wi-fi.

Mar 02 06 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

bear_mkt

Paramus, New Jersey, US

My fav oldies
Galen Rowell's Vision - The Art of Adventure Travel
From the master of outdoor photography.

Arthur Zajonc's book, Catching the Light.
Zajonc's book has no pictures and little specifically about photography - Its an interesting dissertation about the science and philosophy of light, which is, after all, the raw material of photography, and how light was perceived through the ages. I started back in photography after I finished it.

Arthur Elgort's Model Manual
Has pictures of his model shoots and insights.

More modern choices -
I kinda forget the title, but I think its Photo Icons or something like that, a little 6x8 volume that sells for 10-12 bucks at Borders. Marilyn Monroe is on the cover.  Goes through the background story of many famous 20th Century pictures.  My fav was James Dean in NYC - shows some different croppings of the picture - which would have made it different.

The ponderously titled Mammoth Illustrated Book of Erotic Women, about 20 bucks. About 3-4 pages from about 20 photogs. Picked it up because one of my models was featured on the inside cover.  Found about 4-5 more familiar faces I worked with from MM/OMP. Its a nice idea book. What I liked was that most of the results were achievable at my skill level and budget, not photos I could never afford to do. 

Should keep ya busy for a while

Mar 02 06 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

Master Lighting Guide For Portrait Photographers  .... just because I am teaching myself how to use the studio strobes that I purchased a few weeks ago. It's a great book because it is simple but very thorough and effective.

Mar 02 06 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
Art & Fear by Bayles and Orland.  Why?  Because it guides, simply and reasonably, the life of making art.

I like photography books with other people's pictures and like biographies of photographers (reading Cartier-Bresson's bio right now) and don't have much use anymore for technical books, but a book that tells me how to face the next day and keep making my stuff is invaluable.

-Don

what he said

Mar 02 06 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

Zachary Reed

Denver, Colorado, US

Brasil incarnate
raw unihibited natural sexuality, not over done

Mar 02 06 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

An Autobiography, by Richard Avedon

and

The Eye That Shapes, by Minor White

both have an incredible knack for finding beautiful forms in the the exotic and the mundane. Avedon in particular, who could photograph the highest fashion models as well as drifters and circus carnies, bringing both to the same level of humanity and dignity. i hope i can capture even 1/100th of that in my work.

Mar 03 06 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

ReallyRandy

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Joel-Peter Witkin, The Guggenheim Museum Book because it's incredibly disturbing and it really makes you feel something.

Mar 04 06 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

Models: Sittings 1978-1988 by Marco Glaviano. I love the premise of the book -- some of the top supermodels of the world posed they way they wanted to be depicted, not the way the advertisers wanted them to be depicted. Beautiful images, and nice insight in to the models themselves.

Mar 04 06 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

TREVOR GODINHO

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Mario Testino - protraits - amazin full colour and b/w pics of may of the world celebs from vanity fair and vogue and his personal collection that shows his amazin ideas

Mar 04 06 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

Lachapelle Land by David Lachapelle
and
Water Dance by  Howard Schatz

Mar 05 06 04:34 am Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

I think the OP asked for one--early Alzy's memory here, I guess--and from the collection I would choose the common Plisson's The Sea.  it has an epic greatness in it.  Double double-page fold out spreads as well as the printing itself add to effect.

Mar 05 06 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

*Cough, cough* bump *cough*

Mar 24 06 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Since this is a model site.

Hiroshi Nonami - Chaos, Eureka, E-Mode

Gilles Bensimon - No particular order

Albert Watson - Cyclops

All Avedon

200 more out of category.

Mar 24 06 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Terryworld ROCKS!!!

I honestly have so many favorites. Many are of personal work by fashion shooters but many are not. It's like asking me what's my favorite album? Or what's my favorite movie? Sheesh, gimme a couple of sheets of paper out of your notebook and let me compile a list, and I guarantee you I'll forget a few.

FreshWidows wrote:
I have only this one...
49€ for 288 pages in 30x40cm!

https://www.taschen.com/media/images/original/fo_terryworld.jpg
It was very interesting to know what think the man i met with an "cheap camera" a Konica Big mini in plastic, even if perhaps i know he own a Contax G2 too.

Interview
website
Webzine

https://www.taschen.com/media/images/380/fo_terryworld_04.jpg
I still have an American Flag in home too lol.

Mar 24 06 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Blei Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

That is sooo cooool that you can double post!

Oopsie!

Mar 24 06 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Blei Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

"Let Truth Be The Prejudice — W. Eugene Smith: His Life and Photographs" is my favorite photo book.  I love that man's style for documentary photography. 

I also like Eugene Richards "The Knife and Gun Club."  The images are amazing, and the book has sentimental value too.  After speaking to photojournalism students at ASU, they presented me with a copy of the book -- and they had all signed it.

Mar 24 06 04:16 pm Link

Model

Victoria Elle

New York, New York, US

http://www.highfashioncrimescenes.com/

Melaine Pullen.

Beautifully shot.  Morbidly hilarious.  Surprisingly well researched.

Mar 24 06 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

James Rulison

Chino Hills, California, US

Magnum Stories - by Chris Boot

The Great Picture Hunt - by Dave Labelle

The Great Picture Hunt 2 - by Dave Labelle

In Focus: National Geographic Greatest Portraits - by National Geographic

I pick these because they are all done by people who have done it differently.  I consider myself a person who captures life and not an artist. 

James

Mar 25 06 11:37 am Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

I love Femme Fatale shot by Michael Thompson.

Mar 25 06 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Helmut Newton Work

The complimentary text.

Also Layley. It has inspired me. I am looking for *my* Layley

Mar 25 06 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

MDSPHOTO

Greensboro, Georgia, US

Howard Schatz-Pool Light

Mar 25 06 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

David Velez

New York, New York, US

The Negative - Ansel Adams
It allowed me to learn to see what my film actually records as opposed to what I see.
I learned to dicipline myself (in my darkroom at least) and the lessons are still used over a decade after I first read it.
In addition it taught me that one of the responsibilities I have as a photographer is to share what I know and help others understand without being high and mighty about it.
If Ansel Adams could share every detail I can too and do.
I love this book.
(His autobiography is excellent as well)
David 6of7

Mar 25 06 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

David Shaw

Jonesboro, Arkansas, US

I have tons of favs but my latest greatest is Scott Church, et. al.  "Good Luck In Hell."

Scott is a MM member by the way MM#1052.

Mar 25 06 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

Dames

Irving Penn, really any book.
Avedon- Made in France
Bruce Weber- All American..any of them

Mar 25 06 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Cygnet wrote:
I have so many favorites - I know it is a cruel question to ask! 

Nick Brandt's - On this Earth - I feel like I can see into the souls of the animals he photographs!  I'm also going to Africa in July - my lifelong dream trip!

Michael Thompson 'images' -  His perspective is constantly changing, yet it doesn't lose exquisiteness...he never bores me. 

Any of Richard Avedon's work....I love photography that goes past capturing a beautiful image - it is more fascinating to me what is beyond the image.

your turn!

wink

I don't know that I have a favourite.  I'm so moody that it changes....

Mar 29 06 06:59 am Link

Photographer

Joshua Gottesman

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.  A great book on using Apeture and Shutter priority effectively.  I understand he's writing an update to the book and I'll definitely want to buy that.

Hmm...I have the version pictured above.  This version was updated in 2004, and may be the updated version to which I referred above...or not.

Petersen's Learing to See Creatively is also very good.

Mar 29 06 12:12 pm Link