Forums > General Industry > At what point did you call yourself a photographer

Photographer

Kevin Russo Photography

Runnemede, New Jersey, US

I've had a camera in my hands since I was a child, but it wasn't untill art    school in the late 80's that I said I am a photographer.

Mar 01 06 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

When I found that people would pay me to take their picture and were willing to buy my art.

Mar 01 06 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

From the first time I pushed a shutter button. The real question is: when did I become any good at it. My answer is that I am never good enough - every time I think I have come up with something that meets some goal that I had, I find a new challenge and and tell myself that I suck. LOL - the "bottle of scotch philosophers/shrinks" might have fun with this but, I like it as a view of things because it makes me work at this thing we do.

Mar 01 06 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

J Merrill Images wrote:
From the first time I pushed a shutter button. The real question is: when did I become any good at it. My answer is that I am never good enough - every time I think I have come up with something that meets some goal that I had, I find a new challenge and and tell myself that I suck. LOL - the "bottle of scotch philosophers/shrinks" might have fun with this but, I like it as a view of things because it makes me work at this thing we do.

Now THIS is the question that makes sense. When did you get any good at it. And some people never do. Like me.... LOL

Mar 01 06 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

I don't label myself that way.  However, every now and then someone else will accuse me of being one...

Mar 01 06 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

... when I started looking at my pictures in a more critical way.

Up until that point, I was just taking pictures of any activity I was involved in. I just put the camera on Program/Automatic, and started shooting.

To add to the first comment, it was when I started playing around with the aperture and shutter speed settings, shooting in manual mode vs. program/automatic mode.

Mar 01 06 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

It was the paycheck.  It called me one first.  Who was I to argue?

Mar 01 06 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

cnphoto

West Jordan, Utah, US

Ive been shooting since 7th grade but first called myself a photographer years later in the Air Force

Mar 01 06 08:30 pm Link