Forums > General Industry > Models that Act?

Model

LA_Peach

Atlanta, Georgia, US

How many models on here are aspiring actors and actresses?  Or are you already a professional actor/actress?  Is it easier to get acting jobs for some of you, or is it easier to get modeling jobs?

Feb 28 06 08:10 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

I'm an actress!

Mar 01 06 01:26 am Link

Model

Rachel DellaPorte

Montgomery, New York, US

easier to get modeling stuff... because I have done wayyy more modeling having started 3-4 years ago.

Mar 01 06 01:30 am Link

Model

Maggie Shirk

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Depends on your look.
Rachel is FASHION all the way.... and more power to her... she is dang good at it too... has the "IT"
I am commercial, and so are alot of Taller girls and guys..... I find getting acting jobs easier... plus I guess I am leaning that way more.  Print is my favorite, but acting is more challenging.

Mar 01 06 10:36 pm Link

Model

Zoe Myers

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I model and act...love the camera either way!  I can't decide which I like better--it varies depending on the month!

As for which is easier, that seems to come and go also.  Sometimes I go for months without a tv/film/commercial audition and sometimes I go out a couple of times a week.  Sometimes I don't model for a month, then the next month I do five or six shoots.

I really LOVE musical theatre and have done a ton of it, but the rehearsals have kept me from being available to do much of anything else, so I've kind of taken a break from them!

Zoe

Mar 02 06 07:25 am Link

Model

Sara Weibel

Athens, Ohio, US

I have found that it is much easier to get paying jobs as an actress. And when the job pays, it is much easier to eat, to pay rent, and to live.

Mar 02 06 07:33 am Link

Photographer

Gems of Nature in N Atl

North Atlanta, Georgia, US

In my experience, a model with acting experience is a better model because of it.
We can discuss precisely what I'm looking for and she will most often do a better job of understanding and delivering the look/mood.
Lets face it, anybody who wants to make it in modeling OR acting must have a very intense need for PAIN and rejection.

Mar 02 06 07:44 am Link

Model

B Anthony M

New York, New York, US

Acting is a passion of mine...I took a couple acting classes here at Drexel University, and i'm gonna be involved in a few acting projects over the summer.  So i guess sometime soon i can start calling myself an actor!!

Mar 02 06 07:45 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

I actually prefer models who act on a regular basis for my shoots, because the photos I do require acting.  The models need to look like they are scared, frightened and in danger, when most of the time they are trying not to laugh about the silly nature of the scenes I set up (not to mention my bad puns...)

Mar 02 06 08:35 am Link

Model

Angela Benedict

Norwich, England, United Kingdom

I'm an actress and I find it to be much easier to get shoots. I love modeling but it's mainly a tool for networking, updated shots and exposure.

Mar 02 06 08:51 am Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

Not to distract from the original question but I concur with Moraxian.  For a good amount the imagery I shoot, a model with acting skills greatly benefits the final product.

Mar 02 06 08:51 am Link

Model

Audrey M Walker

Portland, Arkansas, US

I'm an actress.  (You can  look me up on IMDB if you want)  I model on the side.

Mar 02 06 11:48 am Link

Model

K A S I A

Los Angeles, California, US

I am an actor smile

Since I'm under 18 and not in the fashion division @ my agency and obviously never will be, I'm in the youth division. This encompasses anything from on-camera to print. I get sent on print auditions and stuff like my audition Saturday for what I believe is a guest role on a t.v. show.

I think I was an actor before I modeled. haha. It's not any harder to book one thing more than the other because of me, but rather because of the industry in S.F. I book a lot of voiceover jobs, just because that's what we have the most of in the city!!

But when I move to L.A. in a year and a half...!

xoxoKASiA

Mar 02 06 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

MurphyMurphy Studios

Denver, Colorado, US

Moraxian wrote:
I actually prefer models who act on a regular basis for my shoots, because the photos I do require acting.  The models need to look like they are scared, frightened and in danger, when most of the time they are trying not to laugh about the silly nature of the scenes I set up (not to mention my bad puns...)

I agreee with this 100%.  Models that are also actors have a great ability to turn "expressions" on and off seemlessly.  This is a key factor in a lot of the work that I shoot.

Dave

Mar 02 06 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

have seen & photographed a lot of the talent i work with (read: largely mainstream agency peeps) who are increasing their marketability by going on auditions for commercials & films; it's all a business ...

fml

Mar 02 06 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

Moraxian wrote:

MurphyMurphy Studios wrote:
I agreee with this 100%.  Models that are also actors have a great ability to turn "expressions" on and off seemlessly.  This is a key factor in a lot of the work that I shoot.

Dave

Yeah, in my shoots they have to look scared even after I let out a real groaner of a pun...such hell I put the ladies through!  wink

Most modeling works better when the models act...  smile

As for the IMDB, six of the ladies I've worked with (Debbie D, Syn DeVil, Kerri Taylor, Julie Simone, Sirena Scott and Tomiko) are on it...

Mar 02 06 09:23 pm Link

Model

Belle OHara

Louisville, Kentucky, US

i've been in theater all my life, just kind of fell into modeling.  And could someone tell me what IMDB is?

Mar 02 06 11:31 pm Link

Model

Heidi Van Horne

imdb.com - internet movie database - great reference for ANY legit film or tv made.

i've been an actress for 15 years (over half my life!) and just started modeling a few years ago for fun & for artistic exression on the side...  now its my part time job that helps make the ends meet when acting is slow and, i've built a solid fan base and gotten great exposure.

i find it really funny how small things i've done in modeling are HUGE to people in tv/film (unpaid- magazine covers!  book covers!)  and vice versa- bit parts on tv & other i've done as an actress, though minor to some higher up in the industry, is HUGE to the photographers and clients i've worked for.  doing one has really helped fuel the other. 

ultimately, the contracts you sign spell it out- either way, you are selling your image/likeness/voice - they are extensions of one another, modeling & acting.  its all about building a brand and marketing yourself.

Mar 02 06 11:41 pm Link

Model

Amy Harber

Chicago, Illinois, US

I do both and it seems to ebb and flow...sometimes the modeling is the "hot" thing and then other times the acting is "hot" and I get more auditions.

Mar 03 06 04:40 am Link

Model

carinacomeau

Ajax, Ontario, Canada

I'd love to get into acting..

Carina

Mar 03 06 04:43 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

I know quite a few actress/models... Grace in the avatar is one of them.  I've seen many models enter acting workshops, become great actresses, and become better models because of it.  They develop a stronger self-awareness, become more reliable, and aquire a much broader comfort zone in the presense of a camera.  Being a screenplay writer who attends an acting workshop on a regular basis (http://www.bobbiechance.com), I've picked up dozens of actor headshots, with biographies attached, only to find that a majority of them have some form of modeling experience.  We do receive frequent (free) VIP seats to Bobbie Chance's workshop in Hollywood, so if there are some models out there interesting in acting, let me know and I'll save you a seat to one of the (free entry) Thursday night comedy showcases... that's 3 hours of laughing your azs off... wink

Mar 03 06 09:06 am Link

Model

StaciF

New York, New York, US

Model- then Actress then fell back into modeling when trying to update Headshots....

Realized I love both- So now am a Model/Actress....Got paying jobs from both. Modeling is a little more difficult since you only get a few seconds to tell a story...but I love the challenge

But I do have seperate resumes and books depending on the job I am going for...Also have seperate books for internet vs. the real world LOL

Mar 03 06 09:38 am Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

Definitely acting over modeling, but then there's a huge film industry in New Orleans (even with the hurricane) while there wasn't much of a modeling industry to begin with.

Mar 03 06 10:23 pm Link

Model

Amy Harber

Chicago, Illinois, US

Select Models wrote:
let me know and I'll save you a seat to one of the (free entry) Thursday night comedy showcases... that's 3 hours of laughing your azs off... wink

3 hours my ass...unless the format has changed. If I recall, the showcase I attended there did not get out until after midnight which is insane.

Mar 04 06 04:57 am Link

Model

Maria T

Lambertville, New Jersey, US

OOOOooo me,me! I've been doing commercail work since a wee lil Maria

Mar 04 06 05:01 am Link

Model

msonyxorb

LA_Peach wrote:
How many models on here are aspiring actors and actresses?  Or are you already a professional actor/actress?  Is it easier to get acting jobs for some of you, or is it easier to get modeling jobs?

ive been trying to act since i was a baby. I find modeling wayyy easier. If only I was tall enough :-(

Also modeling seems more flexible when it comes to looks and more willing to use unconventional looks. And you dont need to audition!

Mar 04 06 05:30 am Link