Forums > General Industry > Permission to shoot at a resort

Model

AnnaMarie

Flushing, New York, US

I am going to be traveling to Orlando this summer and would like to shoot with some photographers at the resort that I will be staying in.  Do I need permission from the resort for the photographer to shoot there?  Will it cost the photographer or myself any fees to shoot (say insurance)?  I thought you could take pictures at resorts even if you bring some equipment and do not disturb any of the guests.  I would appreciate any feedback on this before I call the resort directly.  Thank you so much.

Feb 28 06 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Cardillo Photography

Palm Coast, Florida, US

I am not totally positive about whether you actually need to get permission.  The best advise i could give you IS to contact resort and check with them.  I am pretty sure that Disney resorts do no allow shoots there.  They have too many copyrighted things there that would have to be cleared with their legal department.

Feb 28 06 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

As someone who shoots in hotels a lot, I can tell you there are two approaches:  1.  If you'll be shooting inside hotel rooms, yours or others, skip discussing it with management.  Just close the door and do it.  You rented the space, it's yours.  Management wants you happy in your room.  However, it's best to keep a low profile, so management doesn't have to come up with a policy about it. E.g., the lighting equipment should be on the luggage carrier in their closed boxes, along with other luggage.  If you ask for permission, the manager may do the careful thing and say, "Uh...no."  No is safer than yes for him.

2.  If you plan to shoot in public areas - lobby, hallways - you'd better check with management first.  If you just start shooting, the resort manager may not even see you, but the staff will, and they may report it.  Then you'll have a problem, because (a) you didn't ask first and (b) to be on the safe side, they're liable to say no.

Feb 28 06 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Artist Photography

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

Ditto to William Coleman's answer.

I've shot in several of the old B&B mansions here in Savannah and this has been my approach. I've had no problems.

FWIW -

Bill Ballard
Blue Water Photography
Savannah, GA
[email protected]

Feb 28 06 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Long

MCALLEN, Texas, US

I'll agree with Mr Coleman.  I shot at some hotel locations in Arizona when I lived there. I would just let the shift manager know what was going on (since I wasn't shooting in the rooms),  promise no nudity and it wasn't going to be a HUGE production, and there were no problems with it.  I was able to use the pool areas, lobby, bar (early morning, no one else is normally there), hallways, etc.  Setting up studio strobes and all can be considered a huge production, so check first.

Feb 28 06 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

William Coleman wrote:
As someone who shoots in hotels a lot, I can tell you there are two approaches:  1.  If you'll be shooting inside hotel rooms, yours or others, skip discussing it with management.  Just close the door and do it.  You rented the space, it's yours.  Management wants you happy in your room.  However, it's best to keep a low profile, so management doesn't have to come up with a policy about it. E.g., the lighting equipment should be on the luggage carrier in their closed boxes, along with other luggage.  If you ask for permission, the manager may do the careful thing and say, "Uh...no."  No is safer than yes for him.

2.  If you plan to shoot in public areas - lobby, hallways - you'd better check with management first.  If you just start shooting, the resort manager may not even see you, but the staff will, and they may report it.  Then you'll have a problem, because (a) you didn't ask first and (b) to be on the safe side, they're liable to say no.

I agree with William on this one. I have shot at a few resorts and it is always best to check-in with management or the PR dept. I've never had a problem with it, but if you explain to them that this is for non-commercial purposes, then they are much more likely to say yes and maybe throw in a line about not photographin this or that certain object.

Feb 28 06 08:16 pm Link

Model

AnnaMarie

Flushing, New York, US

Thank you all for your responses.  I have another question.  It is better for me to speak with the resort or should the photographer and explain exactly what he will be doing.  I believe this will be all outdoor shots like at the pool, by a palm tree, etc. The photographer will know exactly what type of equipment he will need to bring.  It may not be much since it is an outdoor shoot.   Don't want to say the wrong thing to the management.  I really appreciate all your help.  You guys are the best!

Feb 28 06 08:21 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

I have shot stock photography at a couple hundred resort locations around the world.  If you plan on publishing your photos in anything but editorial content, you technically need a property release signed by the property owner or someone who can act on behalf of the property owner.  It is often difficult to get.  Many resorts have differing policies on what they allow on commercial shoots.  Most will assume you are shooting commercial if the photog has anything more than a snap shot camera in hand.  Exceptions are made for obvious events like wedding parties.  It is always a good idea to check ahead.  - Don't give your name incase you decide to risk it and shoot covertly.  Depending on the imagery in the background you might be able to get away with making nondescript images that cannot be later challenged in court.  Also, many resorts are located on beachfront properties, which often the strip of beach in front of the resort is considered public lands.  Hope this helps.

* Edit * the photog should make the arrangements since he knows more about the equipment he is bringing and the requirements and usage rights of the shoot.

Feb 28 06 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

Agreement with Jay.  Technically, whoever will own the images should get a property release, especially if the images will be used commercially.  In the real world, it's probably not necessary, except for, say a major ad campaign, and even then only if the hotel were to sue for some reason.  Statistically unlikely, though.

Feb 28 06 10:25 pm Link

Model

AnnaMarie

Flushing, New York, US

Thank you so much everyone.  This helps a lot.  The photographer will view your answers.  You all have been such a big help.  I hope the resort says yes.

Mar 01 06 05:54 am Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

AnnaMarie wrote:
I am going to be traveling to Orlando this summer and would like to shoot with some photographers at the resort that I will be staying in.  Do I need permission from the resort for the photographer to shoot there?  Will it cost the photographer or myself any fees to shoot (say insurance)?  I thought you could take pictures at resorts even if you bring some equipment and do not disturb any of the guests.  I would appreciate any feedback on this before I call the resort directly.  Thank you so much.

yes you will need permission

Mar 01 06 06:01 am Link