Forums > General Industry > The craziest thing you've done to create an image?

Photographer

VisualRamblings

Denver, Colorado, US

Just wondering what the most outrageous or craziest thing you've ever done to create an image? How far will you go for your art?

Feb 28 06 06:21 pm Link

Model

Rachel DellaPorte

Montgomery, New York, US

VisualRamblings wrote:
Just wondering what the most outrageous or craziest thing you've ever done to create an image? How far will you go for your art?

When doing an editorial for Flux they put a wooden chair in the middle of the woods.

In a very uncomfortable corset they had me lay on it so my back was on the seat on the chair.

I then had to lift my arms & legs into the air and turn my head to look at the camera.

Not very crazy but I had slipped the day before and crashed on the stairs on my back. Horrible bruises, hurt so bad.

So, I thought that was crazy. Kinda.

More painful then anything really. hehehe

What about you? smile

Feb 28 06 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

VisualRamblings wrote:

I used a digital camera once.  I know, I know... insane isn't it...?

Feb 28 06 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Hopped the fence at Fort Point and walked along the rocks to get a better view of the bridge. Set everything up, and just as I'm taking the shot I see a monster wave coming right at me through the viewfinder. Snapped it and turned everything away just in time to avoid getting soaked. Guy next to me wasn't so lucky and his camera was drenched. Salt water not good for cameras.

Feb 28 06 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

Michael James Cox

Plano, Texas, US

I built a pond/water area in the living room of my house with drip hoses hanging from boards overhead, filled it with water, shot until after midnight, took the whole thing down without spilling a drop, got to bed around 3 or 4 am and got up and went to work by 8:30. The shots were awesome but I was one tired dude the next day. smile It was worth it.

Feb 28 06 07:24 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

Helped Dan build a pool out of plastic and 2X4's in his studio

Spent 4 days making a #%@* tail in the garage our of smelly ass fiberglass

Spent 1 day making a 3oo pound floating rock out of styrofoam peanuts, cement, and chicken wire (learned that if you mix cement by hand your skin will be sloughing off of your fingers for a few days)

Spent good part of afternoon on my knees paintng a model blue

Electrocuted self holding switch to fog machine while shin deep in water to adjust tail behind model

Used a board and all the muscle power I had left to be a human wave machine

All for a few shots like this one....

REMOVED- sorry to mods forgot about nudity on this forum
You can see mermaid image on my portfolio

Was it worth it? I think so.

Can you believe it was shot here?
https://www.danhoodphotography.com/studio1.jpg

Feb 28 06 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

BodyPainter Rich  wrote:

Spent 1 day making a 3oo pound floating rock out of styrofoam peanuts, cement, and chicken wire (learned that if you mix cement by hand your skin will be sloughing off of your fingers for a few days)

Electrocuted self holding switch to fog machine while shin deep in water to adjust tail behind model

https://www.secondskinimages.com/images/mermaids/Tina%202/tina-mermaid03small.jpg

Can you believe it was shot here?
https://www.danhoodphotography.com/studio1.jpg

That's brilliant. I was wondering what the tail was made out of. Haha fiberglass is such a joy to work with, eh?

Lovely shot. I love mermaids so much.

xo

Feb 28 06 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Nerie

Climbed up and stood on a 10 foot concrete wall to shoot a model in a dumpster. Besides climbing into a dumpster and digging through trash, this model even climbed on top of the lid while it was open and balanced herself wearing a very thing slip (might as well have been naked) and hung her head over almost into the dumpster (while laying on her back). Also, that USED mattress in that dumpster shot was not deliberate, we were expecting pure garbage when we opened that lid. And what did we get? Trash that had been rained on in the middle of December. It was pretty cold... and insane.

Stood on a bed post with one foot on the post, one foot up a foot higher on one of the edges all the while balancing on there to get the perfect composition and angle all the while holding a light in one hand and my camera in the other.

Wrapped my naked self in used saran wrap that was soaked in cow's blood from a real bleeding heart. That smelled pretty bad. Stunk up the whole studio.

One of the craziest things one of my models has done was actually cut her arm with pieces of a broken bottle. For me. And for the photo. And.. also for herself to be honest.

And then there's your assorted starving artist examples and also "guerrilla photography" (I know I spelled that wrong).

Feb 28 06 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

BodyPainter Rich  wrote:

https://www.secondskinimages.com/images/mermaids/Tina%202/tina-mermaid03small.jpg

WOW! I would say it was worth it. Minus the electrocuting self.... LOL

Feb 28 06 07:52 pm Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

Nerie wrote:
Wrapped my naked self in used saran wrap that was soaked in cow's blood from a real bleeding heart. That smelled pretty bad. Stunk up the whole studio.

Too cool...

Craziest thing i did? It involved a tree. And a noose. A noose that was wrapped strategically around me so it could function as a harness. It was a tiny bit painful, but the idea is sooo cool...

Feb 28 06 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

DSP_Productions

Lexington, Kentucky, US

I don't get along well with heights. But one time we took the door off
of a private plane and I hung out of the plane
holding on to the wing brace to get an aerial shot.

I was scared to death and had the time of my life all at once.

Two of those shots hung in the hallway of my studio for several years.

later,
david

Mar 01 06 07:42 am Link

Photographer

Lee Allison

Bentonville, Arkansas, US

Beautiful young cowgirl who was an award winning barrel racer wanted a tight shot of her on her horse comeing fast around a barrel out at their ranch. I didn't have lenses with the distance for it so I ended up down on my knees in the dirt right where her and the horse would come around the barrel. Had to do a dozen takes to get the flying hair and everything just right. On the last take the horse went wide and I had to throw myself out of the way to avoid being trampled.

Hated that horse, but damn she was pretty.

Mar 01 06 08:01 am Link

Photographer

WBV Artography

San Antonio, Texas, US

Waded chest deep into a swamp to photo a 12' aligater swimming six feet away,

Lay on my stomach a few feet frpm a ratlesnake as my friend stood over me and used a stick to piss it off and 'strike a pose'.

Had one of my models go in the mens room aat some Orlando resort motel and do a bunch of kinky stuff in front of the big mirrir.

Had a heavyset model sit on my chest naked for some shots up across her into the overhead lights-she didn't seem to realize that yes, 230 kbs hurts.

Mar 01 06 08:02 am Link

Model

shellyradley

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

oh gosh the craziest i have done is nothing compared to you guys gosh they sound horrific..

i stepped feet first from a very safe ladder into muslin that was hung from a beam in the ceiling naked by the way and dangled backwards.

yeah thats about as crazy as i went

ahemm **walks away slowly***

Mar 01 06 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Getting caught by a science professor shooting this image:

https://img2.modelmayhem.com/050601/12/429df415a395a.jpg

...in one of the campus buildings. Everyone had a laugh though.

Mar 01 06 05:15 pm Link