Forums > General Industry > Are the modeling gigs on this site real?

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

hello everyone, im curious, are the gigs that are listed on this site real.
someone on this site sent me a message saying that they were smooth magazine(this is a urban glamour magazine) we talked on the phone and emailed eachother planning when should i arrive in new york at the headquarters.  the time came for me to be there, and the so called photographer never showed up. and the stylist never arrived by the names they told me.  the security thought i was lying so they kick me out the building, they said they did not know the names that i asked for.  they also told me alot of other women come in there with the same fake story like someone reserved them to come in.  i showed the security all the emails i recieved from the so called photographer and stylist and then they believed me.  but they told me i was scammed.  they bought me inside because it was cold outside and i had to sit in the lobby until my flight arrived to new york to go to boston.  i was so sad.  where could i really find gigs, and becareful ladies and gentes, i will not display there names on here, but i will tell you, the have a smooth girl picture for the avi and the outfit on there is purple and yellow.  lakers.  this is a girl with that same outfit on this site, but its not her, not a model, he is under photographer.

that really hurts and that happens to me all the time.  why am i being played with?  do i look like a toy?  i am serious about my modeling.  this is just one of my sites. and with the omp and the mm, i get alot of people to communicate with, but there are others that just ruin ME.

please help.  thank you and love you all.  i forgave the idiot for smooth magazine.  i now know the owner, she told me all castings will be on her site.  so please dont fall for this stupid guy.

thanks

Feb 28 06 02:51 pm Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

by the way, the stylist is not on the MM

Feb 28 06 02:56 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

If you think the photographer is a scammer/fake, you can use the contact-a-mod forum to let them know and they will use their good judgement to decide

who paid for your flights??

I'm so sorry this had to happen to you.  Trust me there will be scammers all day every day, everywhere and in every profession. It sucks, i know sad

Feb 28 06 02:59 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Usually the castings here are real, if they people you talked about are from MM, tell your story to the Mods.

Feb 28 06 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

I have heard this before.  I really hope you didn't pay for your own ticket?

To answer your question, yes, most of the jobs are real, but there are bad apples in any basket.  I have heard the "Smooth Magazine" story before.

Don't kick yourself in the behind.  I know a lot of models who have made mistakes.  Definitely let the mods know if you were contacted through here.  Beyond that, take it as a learning experience.  I hope you don't let one bad apple ruin your dreams.

Feb 28 06 03:03 pm Link

Model

Vladimir Londono

Somerset, Kentucky, US

wow talk about a entusiasm crusher. Thanks for the advice. Sorry something like that happen to you sad

Feb 28 06 03:03 pm Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

CrazyIsabelAurora wrote:
If you think the photographer is a scammer/fake, you can use the contact-a-mod forum to let them know and they will use their good judgement to decide

I'm so sorry this had to happen to you.  Trust me there will be scammers all day every day, everywhere and in every profession. It sucks, i know sad

i paid for my own flight.  my uncle told me if any agency or anyone needs you for modeling, they will pay for everything.  nothing should come out my pockets.

but im so kind hearted, and i figure boston is not far, i will pay for it and write it off on my taxes or like they said, they would pay me when i get there.

Feb 28 06 03:04 pm Link

Model

Safyia

Croydon, New Hampshire, US

hey..im sorry you had to endure that...i hope they are real as well. I signed up for a couple. Don't let it discourage you though..keep your head up!!!

Feb 28 06 03:05 pm Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

CrazyIsabelAurora wrote:

i paid for my own flight.  my uncle told me if any agency or anyone needs you for modeling, they will pay for everything.  nothing should come out my pockets.

but im so kind hearted, and i figure boston is not far, i will pay for it and write it off on my taxes or like they said, they would pay me when i get there.

Feb 28 06 03:05 pm Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

Nemi wrote:
Usually the castings here are real, if they people you talked about are from MM, tell your story to the Mods.

i will, yeah they are from MM.
i just email the mod

Feb 28 06 03:07 pm Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
I have heard this before.  I really hope you didn't pay for your own ticket?

To answer your question, yes, most of the jobs are real, but there are bad apples in any basket.  I have heard the "Smooth Magazine" story before.

Don't kick yourself in the behind.  I know a lot of models who have made mistakes.  Definitely let the mods know if you were contacted through here.  Beyond that, take it as a learning experience.  I hope you don't let one bad apple ruin your dreams.

they will never ruin my dreams.  im too good for that.  the mod has been notified. and i did pay my own ticket

Feb 28 06 03:09 pm Link

Model

B Anthony M

New York, New York, US

I'm sorry that happened to you.  The best thing to do is probably go with your gut instinct, if something doesn't feel quite right, you may feel something and go with that feeling.  Mistakes happen to the best of us and i'm kind hearted to, it's hard for me to find the worst in people but sometimes that's what you have to do.  Expect the worse.  Don't let it get to you, it definately happens to us all at some point in our lives.  Think of it as a learning experience, you learned something probably so that's good.  Don't give up, as far as photographing you for a magazine like Smooth, im not sure if this is the site to book big gigs like that.  This is a great networking site for models just starting up and to meet with photographers but as far as big gigs i doubt that you'd be able to find one on any website...Advertising agencies and other clients like that who hire models will normally go through an agency to find models not the internet.  So i think the best thing is to find a reputable agency if you want to book the big gigs.  Good Luck!! God Bless You.

-Brent

Feb 28 06 03:15 pm Link

Model

B Anthony M

New York, New York, US

I'm sorry that happened to you.  The best thing to do is probably go with your gut instinct, if something doesn't feel quite right, you may feel something and go with that feeling.  Mistakes happen to the best of us and i'm kind hearted to, it's hard for me to find the worst in people but sometimes that's what you have to do.  Expect the worse.  Don't let it get to you, it definately happens to us all at some point in our lives.  Think of it as a learning experience, you learned something probably so that's good.  Don't give up, as far as photographing you for a magazine like Smooth, im not sure if this is the site to book big gigs like that.  This is a great networking site for models just starting up and to meet with photographers but as far as big gigs i doubt that you'd be able to find one on any website...Advertising agencies and other clients like that who hire models will normally go through an agency to find models not the internet.  So i think the best thing is to find a reputable agency if you want to book the big gigs.  Good Luck!! God Bless You.

-Brent

Feb 28 06 03:16 pm Link

Model

B Anthony M

New York, New York, US

-Brent

Feb 28 06 03:17 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Brent Mitchell wrote:
This is a great networking site for models just starting up and to meet with photographers but as far as big gigs i doubt that you'd be able to find one on any website...Advertising agencies and other clients like that who hire models will normally go through an agency to find models not the internet.  So i think the best thing is to find a reputable agency if you want to book the big gigs.

Great advice and well said....... times 3 lol wink

Feb 28 06 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

SolraK Studios

Atlanta, Georgia, US

sorry you had such a bad experience. You can check the header inside any magazine look for contributing photographers, if you don't see hin/her name call the mag to verify the person.
someone did mention usually they use agency models not internet models

Feb 28 06 03:28 pm Link

Model

B Anthony M

New York, New York, US

CrazyIsabelAurora wrote:

Feb 28 06 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

That totally sucks.

Sorry to hear they took advantage of you like that.

Unfortunately there's scammers every where you look in this business.

Fortunately they don't last long, especially on MM.

amanda Irish wrote:
my uncle told me if any agency or anyone needs you for modeling, they will pay for everything.

Rich uncle huh?

Ya know, my agency ........ Never mind wink

Feb 28 06 03:31 pm Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

CrazyIsabelAurora wrote:

well said 3 times so i dont forget

Feb 28 06 03:49 pm Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

C R Photography wrote:
That totally sucks.

Sorry to hear they took advantage of you like that.

Unfortunately there's scammers every where you look in this business.

Fortunately they don't last long, especially on MM.

Rich uncle huh?

Ya know, my agency ........ Never mind wink

my uncle is not rich, he is poor like me.  i know what he means.  the agency just get the work for you, it depends if the client want to pay your way.

Feb 28 06 03:57 pm Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

KARLOS MATTHEWS wrote:
sorry you had such a bad experience. You can check the header inside any magazine look for contributing photographers, if you don't see hin/her name call the mag to verify the person.
someone did mention usually they use agency models not internet models

i need to find a way to get in a good agency

Feb 28 06 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

CRAZY DEE FILM DUDE

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Stick to a photographer(s) that have a website(s), outside of Model Mayhem, that show his or her work.  Proof is in the pudding...

At Lordland we are true indeed.  We offer what we offer, we do not play with model's dreams and we work to produce great art captured in photograph.

Crazy Dee
Lordland Photographer
www.crazydeephotographer.com
www.lordlandonline.com

Feb 28 06 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Did you check references?

Feb 28 06 04:15 pm Link

Photographer

SolraK Studios

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Crazy Dee wrote:
Stick to a photographer(s) that have a website(s), outside of Model Mayhem, that show his or her work.  Proof is in the pudding...

At Lordland we are true indeed.  We offer what we offer, we do not play with model's dreams and we work to produce great art captured in photograph.

Crazy Dee
Lordland Photographer
www.lordlandonline.com

damn it I forgot to advertise

KARLOS MATTHEWS
www.karlosmatthews.com
714 319 7022

Feb 28 06 04:18 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Feb 28 06 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

CRAZY DEE FILM DUDE

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Always advertise to show the real vs. the fake...

Crazy Dee
Lordland Photographer
www.lordlandonline.com

Never Shy to Advertise...

Feb 28 06 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

WBV Artography

San Antonio, Texas, US

Damn, that's just a soeey sack of shit on their part.

I'd think you should post their names sonce models from here also go elsewhere-help the word spread faster.

Feb 28 06 04:27 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

I think what you went through is absolutely appalling.  Sans prudent contact from this person who booked you, I would personally roast them by posting their names and factual details about the transaction.  - But that's just me.  Normally I am a nice person, but intentional fraud like this is just intolerable.  It would be great if there were an MM black list for these types of people.  Unfortunately, it is so easy to create fictitious profiles that unscrupulous people like that will usually appear again and again under new names.  When someone unknown to me asks me to spend money, I get working references of substance.  - That means a hard phone number and URL with physical address and real brick and mortar clients that can be called to verify this person's existence and work ethic. 

I'm very sorry to here about your ordeal.  Don't let it hinder your efforts to pursue your dreams. Just be wary of those who are bent on these petty little Internet games.  I have found all the people I have dealt with so far, whom I first met on MM, to be very credible.

Feb 28 06 04:52 pm Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Did you check references?

yes id did, the company was legit. smooth girl

Feb 28 06 06:19 pm Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

WhiteBears Visions wrote:
Damn, that's just a soeey sack of shit on their part.

I'd think you should post their names sonce models from here also go elsewhere-help the word spread faster.

the mod told me not to post there names.  they will be banned

Feb 28 06 06:20 pm Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
I think what you went through is absolutely appalling.  Sans prudent contact from this person who booked you, I would personally roast them by posting their names and factual details about the transaction.  - But that's just me.  Normally I am a nice person, but intentional fraud like this is just intolerable.  It would be great if there were an MM black list for these types of people.  Unfortunately, it is so easy to create fictitious profiles that unscrupulous people like that will usually appear again and again under new names.  When someone unknown to me asks me to spend money, I get working references of substance.  - That means a hard phone number and URL with physical address and real brick and mortar clients that can be called to verify this person's existence and work ethic. 

I'm very sorry to here about your ordeal.  Don't let it hinder your efforts to pursue your dreams. Just be wary of those who are bent on these petty little Internet games.  I have found all the people I have dealt with so far, whom I first met on MM, to be very credible.

i wish the real people could find me.  i cant put there name up until the mod complete their investigation.  i want to spill there name so bad.  i wish i could kick there ass.

Feb 28 06 06:23 pm Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

Crazy Dee wrote:

Crazy Dee
Lordland Photographer
www.lordlandonline.com

those fake asses have websites too

Mar 01 06 09:12 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Like everywhere on the internet, a lot of people make huge promises that they have no intention of or ability to deliver.  We try to weed out the scammers, but it's impossible for us to tell sometimes who's going to pull this shit until they do.

A good rule of thumb: if reads to be true, it proobably is.  I reccomend checking out anyone, especially interenet contacts before you agree to work with them.  If someone says they are with such and such magazine, ask for a contact number for someone at the magazine to confirm that.  Then look up the number to make sure it's actually at the magazine offices. You should be able to find the real office numbers for any magazine or big client online.  Call.  Tell them who contacted you and that you want to know if this person is real.  I'm sure they get a lot of these calls and have their receptionists equipped with the porper info to answer any queries.

On a side note, don't buy the myth thast if an agency or client wants you, they'll foot all the bills no matter the cost, up front.  Sometime that happens, but usually clients will expect you to come to the go-sees at your own expense and agencies will expect you to front the money for your own promotional materials (books, comps, tests, etc.).

Mar 01 06 09:24 am Link

Model

PorchiaCorine

Portsmouth, Virginia, US

Dang Im so sorry that had to happen to you...and looking at your port you are a really talented model! I hate when people think that we have time to waste on them being stupid, and you might want to be happy because it could have turned out a whole lot worse then you just losing your money on a ticket! And the fact the you wasted time going all the way there and you could have been traveling somewhere that would have been a real job, just makes it even worse!

But just remember to check reference after reference with everyone that you work with and sometimes you will get scammed but you just have to chalk it up as an experience and learn from it!

I wish you all the best

Mar 01 06 09:49 am Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

I think this is a very unfortunate situation and so sorry for you.  I have to wonder though, if this is a scam, where was the payoff.  He may have lured you there under false pretense but then I would think you would have been picked up at the airport and shot at some location.  I just don’t get it.

Mar 01 06 09:54 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

amanda Irish wrote:

That sucks major butt!

Really sorry, that's some screwed up experience!

However, your uncle is NOT entirely correct.

It all depends on the situation, the magazine and how you approached or were approached.

Others may have said it already, but next time, you call the magazine beforehand, and ask for the photographer, "because you have a question about the shoot!"

And then you'll see if they take a message, put you through to him, or if he calls you back as a result of your call... or... they ask YOU: "Johnny Who?"

Good luck the next time.

Udo

Mar 01 06 10:00 am Link