Forums > General Industry > "Your look is too commercial"

Model

P Howard III

New York, New York, US

Has anyone else been told this by agencies when you know better? Has anyone beat the odds and got signed to a fashion agency anyway? Nothing is wrong with commercial modeling...I've heard that it's more lucrative, but when you know you're capable of more, it feels like failure when someone tells you that And you wanna prove that you can run wit the big dogs of fashion. Especially if you know there's a market for your look in fashion. Sometimes something like a shoot w/the right photographer makes the difference.  Does anyone feel me?

Feb 28 06 02:50 pm Link

Model

Yanique

BRONX, New York, US

dwtenor wrote:
Has anyone else been told this by agencies when you know better? Has anyone beat the odds and got signed to a fashion agency anyway? Nothing is wrong with commercial modeling...I've heard that it's more lucrative, but when you know you're capable of more, it feels like failure when someone tells you that And you wanna prove that you can run wit the big dogs of fashion. Especially if you know there's a market for your look in fashion. Sometimes something like a shoot w/the right photographer makes the difference.  Does anyone feel me?

Just don't give up..you'll get more no's then yes's in this industry..you have a great look so just keep knocking down everyone's door and Good luck!!

Feb 28 06 02:52 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

It is just another way of them saying no.  All agencies have a bag full of excuses some of them include:

"you are too commercial''
''you are too editorial''
''we need more experience''
''you should go see this agency''

Don't be offended they just don't need your look.  Keep looking.  Good luck!  smile

Feb 28 06 02:57 pm Link

Model

P Howard III

New York, New York, US

Thanks for the encouragement. Quitting is not an option at this point...too much invested.

Feb 28 06 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

I'll probably get reamed for this, but I'm just calling it like I see it...

dwtenor wrote:
Has anyone else been told this by agencies when you know better?

Know better than who, the people who would make money when you get booked?  Sure, perhaps they were telling you that to blow you off.  Like Diana said, they have a number of different ways to say they don't need your look.  Still, trust in the law of return on investment:  if they're certain they can make money off of your look by signing you, they'd hand you the paperwork.

dwtenor wrote:
Has anyone beat the odds and got signed to a fashion agency anyway? Nothing is wrong with commercial modeling...I've heard that it's more lucrative, but when you know you're capable of more, it feels like failure when someone tells you that And you wanna prove that you can run wit the big dogs of fashion...

You have an interesting dynamic here.  Proving "that you can run with the big dogs of fashion?"  Proving to whom?  Yourself?  You certainly don't have anything to prove to any of us.  While that may be your goal with modeling, is it more fulfilling than earning a steady paycheck through commercial modeling?  Especially if there's more money available for you to make?  Some of those big dogs at the agencies do commercial modeling only.

dwtenor wrote:
Especially if you know there's a market for your look in fashion. Sometimes something like a shoot w/the right photographer makes the difference.  Does anyone feel me?

Again, you know this better than the people who could get you booked?  While it's true that a different portrayal in your pictures could have a radically different impact, if they got a chance to look at you in person and made the call, take it for what it is.  They do it for a living and see people all the time.  They know what the clients pay for and what looks are in demand.  Either that or they are pushing the demand in whatever direction they want to go.  Either way...

I'm not knocking you at all.  Not once did I say that you can't make it in fashion or that you don't have the look or any of that.  I think you should be happy in your pursuit.  Just thought I'd pose those questions to you.  Personally, the people who've been most helpful to me are the ones who tell me what I need to know, not what I want to hear (not saying the previous posters were telling what you wanted to hear).  Try different agencies in an effort to get fashion work and see what you turn up.  In the meantime, you may want to work on a commercial book as well... just in case a good paying commercial offer comes up...

Feb 28 06 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Neighborlyfotog

Surprise, Arizona, US

Too commercial …

As you probably know there are many interpretations of what comprises commercial work.  I would ask them what the mean exactly and point out exactly what it is about each photograph that makes it too “commercialâ€?.  The best way to prepare a portfolio for their agency is to look at what they are selling to their clients, and then put together a book that reflects your style in their genre.  You may have to shoot a few hundred images to get what you want, but it is worth it.  I take an art course every few years and then use what I learn and apply it to my photographic eye (see my profile; Liza: Photo Art Project). 

Since this site is dedicated to makeup artists, models, photographers and stylists, my other commercial images are located on a different site.  I think at last count, I have four or five different books assembled for different cliental and thus the subjects are familiar to them and my images are only different from what they are used to because of my particular style. 

I hope this rambling has helped some.  As I started writing a reply to your topic my mind was flooded with past experiences and I think I may have become too verbose.  I shall end here.

David

Feb 28 06 06:42 pm Link

Model

P Howard III

New York, New York, US

Thanks everybody for your individual input. I greatly appreciate it!

Feb 28 06 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Diana Moffitt wrote:
''you are too editorial''

If anyone gets this one from a major agency, please give me a call.

Mar 01 06 01:08 am Link

Model

Maggie Shirk

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Jay nailed it.
Ched.... my agency isnt major, but I have heard my agent tell many people that and send them out the door..... I am sure this happens at agencies like CED, The Lyons Group, etc.... big commercial agents in NYC.

IMHO... you look commercial.... but could just be your pics... they scream commercial.... try not bringing any with you and if you still get that... well perhaps use it to your advantage.

Mar 01 06 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Try using the search function before posting. "Too commercial" leads to these two previous threads that explain alot.

The original...
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=25489

...and a followup.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=27663

Mar 01 06 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

"Your work is too commercial"

These are the words of empty people with small brains trying to sound like they know what they are talking about. They simply heard it parroted somewhere else and now they parrot it themselves.

These people lack original thinking. It's also rude and condescending ... more traits of people with small brains and empty personalities.

Uncle Click Hamilton ;-)

PS - I was in a bank once listening to the Branch Manager tell my father "I'm sorry you can't qualify for a loan because you have too many assets"

::::hmm, ... let me think ... (thought bubble) .... assets are the good things, right? :::

same-same

Mar 02 06 08:38 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Ched wrote:

I got this quote from CLICK myself!  Another way of them saying no.  Oh well!

Mar 02 06 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Ched wrote:

Diana Moffitt wrote:
I got this quote from CLICK myself!  Another way of them saying no.  Oh well!

Fashion agency. I don't think of commercial agencies as major. Sorry, should have been clearer.

Mar 02 06 11:07 pm Link

Model

Muse Me

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Ched wrote:

I did.  DNA.

Mar 03 06 06:05 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

When I get the "you're too commercial" it's generally from photographers who mean it in the sense that I'm "too girl next door". 

Now, I wouldn't mind the huge paychecks you get from commercial work, but I have pictures of myself in vinyl in my port I find the whole thing rather funny.

Mar 03 06 10:19 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Ched wrote:

Ched wrote:

Fashion agency. I don't think of commercial agencies as major. Sorry, should have been clearer.

Uhm....Click is a fashion agency too.  They are major in NYC from what I have researched.  I think the height requirement is 5'9'' for females.  If that's not a fashion model then I don't know what is....

Mar 04 06 12:11 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Rachel Frew wrote:
I did.  DNA.

So you're too fashionable for fashion? Mind swinging by my studio here in New York? big_smile

Mar 04 06 12:24 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Diana Moffitt wrote:
Uhm....Click is a fashion agency too.  They are major in NYC from what I have researched.  I think the height requirement is 5'9'' for females.  If that's not a fashion model then I don't know what is....

I thought you typed something else. Seriously, they told you your look is too editorial? I wonder if they left out information. I can think of three words that would make a difference.

Mar 04 06 12:32 am Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Ched wrote:

I thought you typed something else. Seriously, they told you your look is too editorial? I wonder if they left out information. I can think of three words that would make a difference.

You crack me up.  I'm not deaf.  Thanks tongue

Mar 04 06 12:34 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Diana Moffitt wrote:

Click is a very good agency!

We hired several models from there as well for our fashionshows.

Mar 04 06 12:42 am Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

UdoR wrote:

Click is a very good agency!

We hired several models from there as well for our fashionshows.

I know they are one of my favs..smile

Mar 04 06 01:01 am Link

Model

Muse Me

Ched wrote:

So you're too fashionable for fashion? Mind swinging by my studio here in New York? big_smile

Sure, just book my ticket and I'll be on my way!

Click is a B agency.

Mar 04 06 04:09 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Aww. I don't want o buy a plane ticket. Airlines scare me. I don't want them to know I exist. How about a boat ticket?

Mar 04 06 09:01 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Although an agency my reject you for that moment check back with them after
a month or so.  Here's why.  The person you spoke to may just not like you.
Maybe they were having a bad day.  Maybe you reminded them of someone they
didn't like.  Maybe they had a model who had sort of the same look.  It doesn't
really matter but go back with different photographs.  Most of us admire people
who don't give up.  I'm not saying be a pest but very often its important to just
keep in contact.  Its also important to not burn bridges which I'm always amazed
that so many would be models do.  Respond to those e-mails and inquires, even if
its a polite no.  That person you insulted today or ignored may be someone with
paid work later.

Mar 04 06 09:30 am Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Rachel Frew wrote:

Sure, just book my ticket and I'll be on my way!

Click is a B agency.

BWAHAHAHHAHA.....CLICK A B AGENCY?  The forums crack me up smile

Mar 04 06 10:30 am Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Diana Moffitt wrote:

BWAHAHAHHAHA.....CLICK A B AGENCY?  The forums crack me up smile

A good agency they are but not a major agency.   Click B +,   DNA A-,   get over it ladies and let's move on.

Mar 04 06 10:35 am Link

Model

Muse Me

Ched wrote:
Aww. I don't want o buy a plane ticket. Airlines scare me. I don't want them to know I exist. How about a boat ticket?

boat will be fine. :-D

Mar 04 06 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

big_smile

Mar 04 06 05:28 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Darcy Stockton

New York, New York, US

Diana Moffitt wrote:

Compared to other agencies in NYC like IMG, NY Models, Marylin, Click is VERY commercial. Once in a while they'll have a girl that will work for fashion..

Mar 04 06 09:51 pm Link