Forums > General Industry > What is it about Chicago....?

Model

luv2bfitt

Merrimack, New Hampshire, US

*Rave* Ok, I've been here on MM almost 2 months, and have seen some pretty cool stuff from models and photogs alike. Something that I am begining to notice is that so many of them are from the Chicago area. What is it about the Windy City that makes it so popular with artists?

Feb 28 06 02:21 pm Link

Model

Brandon Smith

San Diego, California, US

I had my very first photoshoot there last December..... The lights, the snow, the architecture.  I can see what draws people there.  One of my very favorite photos is the one in my portfolio of me in front of the Hancock Building.

Feb 28 06 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

MS Photo Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

It's a big city that is cheap compared to Boston, New York, SF, and LA and has a lot cultural attractions.

mike

Feb 28 06 02:55 pm Link

Model

lindsaylee

Rhinebeck, New York, US

Chicago is my mistress.

She tempts me with her grace and beauty.

I fall in love in Chicago.  It's very dangerous.

Feb 28 06 03:11 pm Link

Model

Cash DeVereaux

Santa Cruz, California, US

The answer is simple...you can shoot outside half naked and no one pays attention.lol

Feb 28 06 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

It's inexpensive, it's got a huge variety of neighborhoods and locales, half the year the weather is really nice, and it's got a great skyline. It has a surprisingly large artistic scene for being in the Midwest, too.

https://www.datahero.com/stmarc/skyline/images/7129_city_queen_2.jpg

M

Feb 28 06 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

Lowsters

Chicago, Illinois, US

Born and raised here.

So many places to shoot,
So little time.
Keep on coming and shoot til you drop.

Jorge

Feb 28 06 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

I've lived here all my life - nearly 50 years.

The skyline is great - not too crowded like NY, not too smoggy like LA.

Most important - the people are real. Very down too earth, for the most part, no egos. Very friendly people. Most Chicago celebrities will stop and talk with just about anyone.

And the home of Chicago dogs, Italian Beef, polish sausage, Berghoffs (RIP), a lake bordering the entire city, Wrigley Field, Lake shore Drive, and a mayor who has no problem telling a reporter "that's a stupid question - i'm not answering it."

Feb 28 06 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

As a Chicago expatriate... grew up there, sort of left five years ago for someplace with no winter to speak of and little traffic, but still telecommute to a Chicago job and return almost every month...

The main thing is simply that there are nearly eight million people in the metro area.  As the biggest place in that part of the country, it's a magnet for creative people from a lot of smaller surrounding areas.

I have both positive and negative things to say about Chicago, but one of the more positive things is that it's a cultural center of sorts, among other things it's possible to see world-class photography any day of the week.  There have been so many times I've stumbled accidentally on exhibits of the work of outstanding photographers... the one that comes to mind is the George Tice exhibit that I found completely by coincidence, and came out inspired.  It's easy to be reminded of what is possible, and then to go out and try to work at  a higher level.

I still shoot there a lot, in fact will be shooting in Chicago again March 6-20.  Lots of great models to work with in/near Chicago, lots of great locations.

I did smile a little at the comment above about being able to shoot half-naked... I find Chicago to be perhaps liberal on body issues compared to Iowa, but it's actually still a little repressed compared to the west coast.  Still, I've shot hit-and-run nudes within a mile of downtown without incident.  The models are willing... it's the local authorities I'm assuming would have a limited sense of humor about the whole thing.

Feb 28 06 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

NitaCashmere wrote:
The answer is simple...you can shoot outside half naked and no one pays attention.lol

that sounds more like NYC and San francisco. Been to Chitown several times and luv the city. but each city has something that is cool.

Mar 01 06 07:05 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

StMarc wrote:
It's inexpensive, it's got a huge variety of neighborhoods and locales, half the year the weather is really nice, and it's got a great skyline. It has a surprisingly large artistic scene for being in the Midwest, too.

https://www.datahero.com/stmarc/skyline/images/7129_city_queen_2.jpg

M

the artistic scene isn't that surprising. Chicago has a long history. a diverse city with a art deco style like NYC and detroit.

Mar 01 06 07:07 am Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

Ummmm...it's the stuffed pizza.

Mar 01 06 07:35 am Link

Photographer

Jack North

Benicia, California, US

lindsaylee wrote:
Chicago is my mistress.

She tempts me with her grace and beauty.

I fall in love in Chicago.  It's very dangerous.

Mar 01 06 07:38 am Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

So many locations, so little time.

Mar 01 06 10:23 am Link

Photographer

lobo estepario

Chicago, Illinois, US

We are just good. And there are quite a few artists here too. Miguel

Mar 01 06 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Synthesis|Photo

Pewaukee, Wisconsin, US

it is just a good place to be.  The competion is fierce, but a lot are trying to get somewhere else.  Everyone is understanding, and everyone is supportive of each other.

Mar 01 06 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Synthesis|Photo

Pewaukee, Wisconsin, US

~competition~

Mar 01 06 10:33 am Link

Model

Keni

Cary, Illinois, US

We're friendly, beautiful and love to party.  What's not to like about Chi Town?

Mar 01 06 05:12 pm Link