Forums > General Industry > Reverse flaking

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Has anyone ever "reverse flaked", i.e., made an excuse to others in order TO be at a shoot?

For example, you are working 7 days/week on day job business and you've just gotta make that upcoming shoot. What would look better, feigning illness or a family emergency?

Feb 27 06 10:29 pm Link

Model

Jeri Lynn Astra

Pleasantville, New York, US

So far I've been lucky enough to hold day jobs that are understanding about my needing time off, and have been able to schedule shoots far enough in advance or in such a way that they don't conflict. But I certainly would if I had to!

Feb 28 06 12:50 am Link

Model

Brandon Smith

San Diego, California, US

If the photographer was good enough I'd play dead......

Feb 28 06 12:58 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Brandon Smith wrote:

good answer. Not at the shoot I hope....

Feb 28 06 01:03 am Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

Brandon Smith wrote:

DAMN, that was GOOD! I'd hire you just for your attitude!!!  :-)

Wm

Feb 28 06 01:04 am Link

Model

Brandon Smith

Lapis wrote:

good answer. Not at the shoot I hope....

Although the moment I hit reply I had this thought about a crazy fetish shoot involving a hearse..... Any photographers want to try that one?

Feb 28 06 01:05 am Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

Brandon Smith wrote:
Although the moment I hit reply I had this thought about a crazy fetish shoot involving a hearse..... Any photographers want to try that one?

There was a feature on the local (San Diego) news last week about an actor who made a living playing a corpse. They were showing his headshot - the actual one that he distributes - and he was FACE DOWN in a pool of blood!!!   The reel that he distributes was of him lying in a body bag on the NCIS show, with the actors talking about him right before they zipped him up. It was f'ing HILARIOUS!!!

Hell, if I can make money just laying there snoozing, maybe I should pawn my D2X and sh*t and go in to acting!!!

LOL,
Wm

Feb 28 06 01:09 am Link

Model

Brandon Smith

Second Glance wrote:

There was a feature on the local (San Diego) news last week about an actor who made a living playing a corpse. They were showing his headshot - the actual one that he distributes - and he was FACE DOWN in a pool of blood!!!   The reel that he distributes was of him lying in a body bag on the NCIS show, with the actors talking about him right before they zipped him up. It was f'ing HILARIOUS!!!

Hell, if I can make money just laying there snoozing, maybe I should pawn my D2X and sh*t and go in to acting!!!

LOL,
Wm

There is only one other job that works the same way..... The administration department at the Department of Motor Vehicles.....

Feb 28 06 01:12 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Brandon Smith wrote:

yeah, i thought of a fashion ad shot by some great photographer I saw in W today.....

Feb 28 06 01:14 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Second Glance wrote:

LOL,
Wm

Would love to see the tabloids following HIM around!

Feb 28 06 01:14 am Link

Model

Brandon Smith

Lapis wrote:
Would love to see the tabloids following HIM around!

Do you think that Nostradamos [sic] could predict his next "death"?

Feb 28 06 01:15 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

(scratching head) hmm ... photography has been my "day job" for over 10 yrs now but guess maybe i've come up with a thing or two so i could stay at work longer? some reason that sounds off base, huh? LOL!

fml

Feb 28 06 01:20 am Link

Model

Brandon Smith

FML-Photography wrote:
(scratching head) hmm ... photography has been my "day job" for over 10 yrs now but guess maybe i've come up with a thing or two so i could stay at work longer? some reason that sounds off base, huh? LOL!

fml

Why would that be off base?

Feb 28 06 01:21 am Link

Photographer

WBV Artography

San Antonio, Texas, US

Brandon Smith wrote:
There is only one other job that works the same way..... The administration department at the Department of Motor Vehicles.....

ANY goobermint job from the dog catcher up...

Feb 28 06 02:21 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

rp_photo wrote:
Has anyone ever "reverse flaked", i.e., made an excuse to others in order TO be at a shoot?

For example, you are working 7 days/week on day job business and you've just gotta make that upcoming shoot. What would look better, feigning illness or a family emergency?

Neither, I would be honest and request the time off if work coincided with an important shoot.

Feb 28 06 02:31 am Link

Model

Brandon Smith

Craig Thomson wrote:

Neither, I would be honest and request the time off if work coincided with an important shoot.

But that takes all the fun out of it... I mean, how can you resist the urge to be creative and come up with a really off beat excuse.... Like "My dog ate my car keys and the bus workers went on strike" or "This guy was stalking me so I have to repaint my house so he'd get confused" or my personal favorite "I'm a model"...... ;-)

Feb 28 06 02:39 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

Brandon Smith wrote:
But that takes all the fun out of it... I mean, how can you resist the urge to be creative and come up with a really off beat excuse.... Like "My dog ate my car keys and the bus workers went on strike" or "This guy was stalking me so I have to repaint my house so he'd get confused" or my personal favorite "I'm a model"...... ;-)

Morals.

I really enjoy doing photography and have more then my share of opportunities to shoot with exceptional models on any given week, so if I miss one, I know there will be two or three right behind it to fill its place.

Feb 28 06 02:46 am Link

Model

Brandon Smith

Craig Thomson wrote:

Craig Thomson wrote:

Morals

I'm hoping that my sarcasm is a bit easier to read but in reality Craig, I'm not the type of person who could even pull off a moderately good lie - my own self respect isn't a worthy sacrifice.  I value professionalism above all and that includes honoring my commitments - whether it is my day job, a casting call, or simply walking someone's dog.

Feb 28 06 02:54 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

rp_photo wrote:

I don't see this as "reverse flaking" but as keeping an appointment, which in turn is something that I expect as professional behaviour, even from an amateur model.

Feb 28 06 02:59 am Link

Photographer

afterdarc studios

NEVER!

Feb 28 06 05:56 am Link

Model

Natashka

Austin, Texas, US

rp_photo wrote:

Well, I had a retail job but jumped at the chance to go to group model shoots.  Modeling is something I have always wanted to do.  My retail job did not like it that I was asking off Saturdays: "this is retail" my manager told me.  I did not tell them why I needed off, I just filled out the legitimate 'time off' form and submitted it.  If they have the forms, they should grant the time off.  Instead, they build up resentment.

The way I see it, I am doing what I love and what I am destined to do.  Starting from scratch in a new endeavor is hard but worth it. 

I'd rather be happy than be miserable.  I pray that the money will follow. 

I have to follow my heart.

Feb 28 06 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

DCartist

Gaithersburg, Maryland, US

rp_photo wrote:

To get out of work, I have told my friends to use one simple word to get out

"diarrhea"

Feb 28 06 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

It doesn't sound like "reverse flaking"; it's just flaking on someone else.  If you have made commitments to two people for the same time, you're going to have to flake on one or both.  Or reschedule.

Feb 28 06 12:55 pm Link