Forums > General Industry > Manager/Being Managed!?

Model

InDecisivE

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Is it a good thing or a bad thing?!

Should you freelance - do everything yourself? Or leave it in the hands of someone else?!?...

Should it be a company that does that sort of thing?! or someone you trust?!...
Is it something every model should have?!...

So many questions - Tell me what you think about it - or Answer a question!
-I'm just looking for any info or opinions~!

ThanX!
wink

Feb 27 06 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

There are a class of characters who are photogrpaher/managers that you should run like hell from. If you really want to be limited in who you shoot with and don't care much about the quality of work in your book, then they are fine.

I suggest getting your advice and direction from peers and those experienced in the industry, including models, photographers and stylists.

Feb 27 06 03:49 pm Link

Model

InDecisivE

Well and that's what I've heard about them - many many times..

"stay away from agencies" is kind of the main thing - or advice I was so commonly given!

But - as a model, I don't like doing the business side of things - I feel sometimes it contradicts my intentions on shooting!

I feel I should be paid for some of the work I do - but, would rather not at the end of the shoot discuss money arrangements - This is where it would be nice to have a manager....

Feb 27 06 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

Legitimate bookers and their agencies are good.  In fact, if you're bound for Elle, among other venues, they're de rigeur. 

The "model managers" that pop up on the Internet are another animal altogether, and I won't shoot with any model that has one.

Feb 27 06 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Hoot

Picayune, Mississippi, US

Feb 27 06 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

You lose all control with any manager.  It would be best if you learned how deal with money and booking and all that business stuff.  I do understand - I don't like it either. 

But a manager will pigeon-hole you, prevent you from shooting whith whom you want, turn down some offers and send you on shoots without consulting you, and basically take away the fun and excitement far more thoroughly that simply learning to deal with money will.

-Don

Feb 27 06 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

InDecisivE wrote:
But - as a model, I don't like doing the business side of things - I feel sometimes it contradicts my intentions on shooting!

I feel I should be paid for some of the work I do - but, would rather not at the end of the shoot discuss money arrangements - This is where it would be nice to have a manager....

You make the money arrangements ahead of time.  You go on the shoot.  You perform.  You collect money.  All of your money.

With a manager, he (and they almost always are he's) collects your money but you get less of it cause he's stuck his paw in the honey jar. And for what?  Something that you are fully capable of doing yourself?

I avoid models that are managed or that I have to get to via a "model manager," er pimp.  I don't like drama, I don't like games, and model managers stink of both.

An agency model is a completely different matter. And a legitimate manager, for those with true careers is different as well.

Feb 27 06 09:08 pm Link

Model

Brandon Smith

San Diego, California, US

I'll agree with the above.  Be very very weary of the photographer/manager.  My first (and last) experience with one turned out extremely negative...especially when I asked for all terms in writing.

Feb 27 06 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

I dont deal with girls who have photographer or boyfriend or friend managers.  These dudes arent doing it for the money- there is not that much money in it.  They are doing it to control the girls and be close to them.

Feb 27 06 10:05 pm Link

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

I agree with all the above advice! Down with sheisty "model managers!"

Feb 27 06 10:07 pm Link

Model

InDecisivE

Thank You for all of the advice!
Just something - I figured I should ask about befor Persueing (sp)..

I guess the best question now... - Is there any easy way to deal with the business side of things?...Best ways to go about it?

Feb 28 06 03:26 pm Link