Forums > General Industry > Gettin' your girl dirty

Photographer

Tony Blei Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

I need some help in understanding something I frequently see.  Why is it that a lot of photographers, when shooting a nude model take her into the wilderness, and make her lay in the dirt? 

Sometimes I think it works (if the photographer has a unique vision for the shot), but for the most part, I can't see too much more than a dirty model, or rocks with makeup on them.

Could someone please help straighten me out?

Feb 27 06 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I have had two models mention this as a desire of theirs.

I think they are just looking for a change of pace from studio glamour.

Feb 27 06 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

SmartAz Photography wrote:
I need some help in understanding something I frequently see.  Why is it that a lot of photographers, when shooting a nude model take her into the wilderness, and make her lay in the dirt? 

Sometimes I think it works (if the photographer has a unique vision for the shot), but for the most part, I can't see too much more than a dirty model, or rocks with makeup on them.

It's a very popular theme.  The thought of finding a beautiful lady in the wild who was raised by wolves/gazelles/hedgehogs is a story as old as time.  smile  Ditto for the plot of the pretty lady escaping her captors and running naked through the woods...

I won't even get into the folks who want to have the lady covered in mud or sinking in Quicksand...

Feb 27 06 10:00 am Link

Photographer

RnL Photography

Cocoa, Florida, US

Moraxion, that should be beautiful naked blond in high heels running from captors in woods.

Feb 27 06 10:04 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Rae Dawn Chong in Quest for Fire. Need I say more?

Feb 27 06 10:26 am Link

Photographer

artist

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Nudes in Nature, very popular set of contrasts (for our "modern" society).

For years I only worked outdoors, and the models *LOVED* it.

Scott
aka Bodyartist

Feb 27 06 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Lee Allison

Bentonville, Arkansas, US

There's actually a makeup product usually referred to as 'Texas dirt' that is a heavy grained dark black item that can be used in studio for a similar look. I also know of photogs who use old coffee grounds slightly wetted to get it to stick.

Ah, fun times.

Feb 27 06 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Tony Blei Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

I completely understand what you are all saying and I agree.  Who wouldn't like a little fantasy or at least some contrast.  I thought it funny, though, that nobody had any of those types of images in their portfolios (I'm sure that if you did, though, they would be nice).

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that is a bad image -- I just see it a lot and more often than not, it's done poorly.

I would like to hear what a woman has to say on this issue.

Feb 27 06 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Gabriel

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

If they're the type of photos I think you mean (nude in the rocks, etc, usually b/w), I think it's too many people trying to be like Weston.

As much as I like to see a pretty naked lady, lol, those photos have gotten really, really boring.

Feb 27 06 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

Lee Allison wrote:
There's actually a makeup product usually referred to as 'Texas dirt' that is a heavy grained dark black item that can be used in studio for a similar look. I also know of photogs who use old coffee grounds slightly wetted to get it to stick.

Ah, fun times.

I once saw a car showroom in a select part of London that had a rack of aerosol cans of spray on mud for the owners of 4x4's to spray round the wheel arches of their cars so that they could pretend they'd been off-roading with them.  The stuff was very expensive, otherwise I would've bought a can to spray on a model or two.  One of the cans was labelled 'Sahara Sand', I remember.

Feb 27 06 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

I just see it a lot and more often than not, it's done poorly.

Why don't you show us what you think was done right...

Feb 27 06 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Lee Allison

Bentonville, Arkansas, US

RED Photographic wrote:
I once saw a car showroom in a select part of London that had a rack of aerosol cans of spray on mud for the owners of 4x4's to spray round the wheel arches of their cars so that they could pretend they'd been off-roading with them.  The stuff was very expensive, otherwise I would've bought a can to spray on a model or two.  One of the cans was labelled 'Sahara Sand', I remember.

COOL! Now we could be using this stuff to make someone like Rebecca Romjiin (no-longer-Stamos) into looking like the Thing from Fantastic Four! Sweet.

Feb 27 06 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Phil Kimpton

Taunton, Massachusetts, US

Moraxian wrote:

It's a very popular theme.  The thought of finding a beautiful lady in the wild who was raised by wolves/gazelles/hedgehogs is a story as old as time.  smile  Ditto for the plot of the pretty lady escaping her captors and running naked through the woods...

I won't even get into the folks who want to have the lady covered in mud or sinking in Quicksand...

Hedgehogs? LOL  ooook...

About the only times I can picture women in mud is Mud Wrestling matches... big_smile

Feb 27 06 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Done badly - Perhaps the excuse that the creepy camera guy needs to "help her brush it off" when the bad pics are finished - lol 

I shoot a lot outdoors and have done nudes - but never really had a model interested in "dirty" for the sake of being dirty on an outdoor shoot - or had a need to suggest it myself.

The closest was having a very light skinned model climbing into a large charred pine tree after a forest fire for some B&W shots - but they were the last pics of the day - she look like she had been rolling in Kingsford briquets when were were done.  And by the way. the climbing into the damned thing and perching on a limb was her idea.   But the images looked really cool.

And *Homer Simspon voice*     
"Ray Dawn Chong  Mmmmmm . .  .  Muddy . . ."

Feb 27 06 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

Phil Kimpton

Taunton, Massachusetts, US

If I were to do a muddy type shot... be in the spring/summer out in the yard (as the sun kills off my grass) I'd keep a garden hose ready to hose off the model.. Why be creepy and help wipe it off.. Just use the hose and blast em'  Then get ready to get your ass beat due to the water being so cold...

Feb 27 06 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

John Jebbia wrote:

hey, that is MY fantasy, back off , John!

go see  Babarella! and leave my dream

Feb 27 06 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

I was supposed to take PICTURES of the dirty nude girl?  OK, next time I'll bring a camera.

Feb 27 06 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Blei Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

What's nice is that those of you who've responded, your work is wonderful.  You certainly aren't the type of shooter's who roll your model in the dirt for the sake of rolling her in the dirt.

After reading what y'all have said, I thought maybe I didn't know what the hell I was talkin' about and so I went looking for a few examples.  I didn't get too far when there was a woman who was smeared in mud -- in the middle of the afternoon.  It was awful.

Cheers to those of you who have vision and a higher standard.

T

Feb 28 06 12:36 am Link

Photographer

Mikhail Image

For that grrrritttty look, coffee grounds, coffee grounds, coffee grounds....
it's like thick, black lava sand

Feb 28 06 12:39 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

John Jebbia wrote:

Man are you dating yourself.  And yeah, that was hot.

-D

Feb 28 06 06:13 am Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

hmmmm...all men so far,,how freudian...how jungian......

Feb 28 06 06:33 am Link

Model

absurd_

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I can't say the idea appeals to me unless it MEANS something. There has to be a (decent, sophisticated) concept behind the work, not just purely aesthetic appeal for me to hold any interest at all. Shoots like that normally make me think 'boring' right away.

Feb 28 06 06:55 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

images by elahi wrote:
hmmmm...all men so far,,how freudian...how jungian......

how junglian is the correct phrase.. we got the jungle fever

Feb 28 06 02:26 pm Link