Forums > General Industry > how often...?

Makeup Artist

Candace Corey

Chicago, Illinois, US

How often do photographers on this board/site use makeup artists? Is a makeup artist important to you for your shoots?

Candace Corey
Makeup/hair/body paint
www.candacecorey.com

Feb 27 06 08:18 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Wright

Lansing, Michigan, US

I would prefer to use a MUA on all my shoots but I usually can't afford to pay one. So I usually end up using one for specific shoots where having one is a must. Which is fairly infrequently. I've probably only used an MUA 5 or 6 times.

Feb 27 06 08:21 am Link

Photographer

SMP Studios

Congers, New York, US

Candace,
I use a makeup artist on almost all of my shoots!  It usually leads to a better finished product and I have to do much less photoshop work later on!  A good MUA is worth their weight in gold,  a great one is priceless.......

BTW, love your work.......

Feb 27 06 08:26 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Candace Corey wrote:
How often do photographers on this board/site use makeup artists? Is a makeup artist important to you for your shoots?

A MUA is vital, it defines the difference between picture taking and modeling photography.  So the answer to your first question is each and every shoot that falls under the definition of modeling photography. 

However, the choice to use one is the responsibility of the model or client, not the photographer, UNLESS the photographer is taking on the role of art direction.  Otherwise, the photographer's role is to capture what is presented.

Feb 27 06 08:35 am Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

After having used one for the first time a couple of months ago, I will never shoot without one. (outside of testing)
mark

Feb 27 06 09:17 am Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Candace Corey wrote:

I use a makeup artist whenever there's going to be face in the pictures (most of the time).  They are God's little miracle workers.

MUAs are Photoshop for people who don't use Photoshop.

-Dave

Feb 27 06 09:42 am Link

Photographer

J Haig

Gananoque, Ontario, Canada

Rarely, unless I'm shooting something that specifically needs one, which isn't often. 
Part of it is due to location...in my area competent MUA's are rare as hen's teeth.  A great make up person is wonderful...a bad one is worse than acne.

Feb 27 06 09:58 am Link

Photographer

artist

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Candace Corey wrote:

actually, never used them.  The girls always did their own makeup, and we kept it understated. We got them wet alot, and did a lot outdoors, so there was no standard.  We always liked the natural look, and picked our llamas based on that. 

Make up does play a part, though, in a *lot* of shoots, but realize that don't just ask who or how many use a makeup artist, list for *WHAT* sort of photography.  Under hot lights, in a studio, doing something I would probably be more inclined to have someone who could deal with the make up to counter the effects of the strobes.  But, figure work, *rarely* needs makeup, it defeats the whole concept.

Scott
aka Bodyartist

Feb 27 06 10:29 am Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Every single time I set up a shoot I contact makeup artists with the details of the shoot, and what I'd like to do with them.  99.9% of the time I never receive a response.  The up side is that I've developed a great working relationship with the one makeup artist who is willing to work with me.  The down side is that the folks with strengths that I'd like to use for projects that would specifically benefit from those strengths want nothing to do with me, so I sometimes lose the variety that I'd like, particularly when the model ends up having to do her own makeup.

I suppose this is just one of the disadvantages of being a brand new photographer!

Feb 27 06 10:52 am Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

I would prefer one but I don’t necessarily need one for most of the work I do.  It really comes down to shot being done.  The type of lighting I wish to use.  A good MUA can create a mood and give shape to a face.  It allows me use flatter and various diffused light source while still maintaining some semblance of modeling.  In other words, it gives me more options. 

On the other hand if we are not doing a glitter and glam type fashion or beauty shots and the girl can do a decent job putting on her own makeup, I am ok with that.  I will have to PS the face a little regardless removing blemishes etc.  It comes down to time. Spend 5min. or 15min.  Most in a business don’t have the time, others like myself do.  And lets not kid ourselves here.  Photoshop like an MUA is dependent on the skill set. PS can appear just as natural if applied correctly and using a bad MUA can be as bad as most of the Photoshop makeup we see applied today.

Feb 27 06 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Candace Corey wrote:

For fashion-directed work: always.
For beauty-directed work: always
For "art" -directed work: sometimes,  depending on the theme.
For portraiture: rarely

Feb 27 06 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

I would like to - The MUA adds a great to theshoot when I have had one - but, I'm not having much luck getting any replies from Emails - and posting to the casting calls was a bust.

Perhaps, I'll hire one of those sign twirler guys to stand at the freeway.

And I'm in S. California where you would expect that there would be several to work with.

VintageV

Feb 27 06 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Hoot

Picayune, Mississippi, US

Never! It's silly to pay someone a bunch of money to daub a little paint on some girl's face!

Feb 27 06 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Hoot wrote:
Never! It's silly to pay someone a bunch of money to daub a little paint on some girl's face!

LOL!  Yeah, 'specially when ya got photoshop!

Feb 27 06 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

Hoot

Picayune, Mississippi, US

Dave Krueger wrote:

Yep, with my new CS2 it wouldn't take me more than 10 or 12 years to make the same looks as I have in my port! Think of all the money the models would save.

wink

Hi Candace! You know I was just kidding, right? Right?

Oops.

Feb 28 06 01:45 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

certainly depends on the project ... but yes, i love having those skills available!

fml

Feb 28 06 01:48 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

As often as possible.

Feb 28 06 02:24 am Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Hoot wrote:

Dave Krueger wrote:

Yep, with my new CS2 it wouldn't take me more than 10 or 12 years to make the same looks as I have in my port! Think of all the money the models would save.

wink

Hi Candace! You know I was just kidding, right? Right?

Oops.

Hmmm...  She probably did, but some others might not have.  big_smile 

I don't do Photoshop at all because of the type of work I do, but I don't think Photoshop substitutes for an MUA anyway.  I'm always amazed by MUAs, so I keep bringing them bigger and bigger challenges.  LOL!   I think Photoshop is probably nice for removing the occasional blemish, but not for wholesale facial redecorating...

Of course, some people think Photoshop is great for getting rid of skin texture and other annoyances.  Muahahahaha!

-Dave

Feb 28 06 09:05 am Link

Photographer

Envy - Art

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I also prefer to use MUA's...unfortunately around here though they are few and far between.  The MUA I use the most is about a 3 hour drive from here and out of state, but she's worth it!  She is rarely available though, so I have to make do.

Feb 28 06 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Toria wrote:
The MUA I use the most is about a 3 hour drive from here and out of state, but she's worth it!

If this is who you're talking about, I'd say you're right!

https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic_id=42b766ba403b0

Feb 28 06 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Infinite Eye

New York, New York, US

When the shoot parameters permit, I use one all of the time.  Unless you're working on an image that requires extensive special effects, it should be shot as it will appear in its final version.

Actually, as many special effects as possible should be in-camera as well.  I suppose you could even consider makeup a special effect, but a necessary one.

Feb 28 06 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Los Angeles, California, US

I always use a makeup artist, unless circumstances prevent us doing so.  When I try to do the makeup, the model ends up looking like Bozo the clown!

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Mar 01 06 05:03 am Link

Makeup Artist

faithb

Washington, District of Columbia, US

byReno wrote:
On the other hand if we are not doing a glitter and glam type fashion or beauty shots and the girl can do a decent job putting on her own makeup, I am ok with that.

Then that depends on if you just want a "decent" pic or a great shot.

Mar 03 06 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Ramblin Studio

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Candace Corey wrote:

Candace Corey
Makeup/hair/body paint
www.candacecorey.com

I wouldn't shoot a job with out one.  I don't however use them on all my test shots, unless the concept requires that I need one.

Mar 03 06 09:50 am Link

Photographer

Mark Anderson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Almost always.  The problem is that some clients are looking to keep the cost of a shoot down and the first thing they want to cut out is the makeup artist.  But I try my best to let them see the difference it makes.   Most of my "package" priced deals include the MUA as part of the overall deal.  That way there is not a discrete line item for MUA services making it harder to cut them out.  I'm a believer in makeup artists!

Mar 03 06 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

from the title, i thought this was another masturbation thread.

real answer: 100% of the time.  not worth it to shoot without one.

Mar 03 06 12:56 pm Link