Forums > General Industry > Film or Digital

Photographer

JTP_Digital

Vientiane, Viangchan Prefecture, Laos

I've been using digital since 2000 with a combination of film..I find the last 12 months my film equipment (35mm) hasn't seen the light of day..I have 3 Nikon bodies with AIS Nikkor lenses from 20mm to 300mm..
I'm using Canon 20D and a 350D for back up with lenses from 14mm to 300mm some Canon L glass and a Sigma 18-200 which I love..A Canon 70-200 f2.8 USM,,Canon 17-35 f2.8,, Canon 90-300 f4.5,,Canon 50 f2.5 Compact- Macro (great for portraits on the 20D and 350D),,Tamron 14mm f2.8 plus the Canon 18-55 kit lens which I never use..

I love the speed and convenience of digital,,and the quality both 8 megapixels Canons give me..

I'm in two minds of selling the Nikon kit or giving it to my 19yo niece who is a budding talented photographer..

What would you do??

Jurgen
JTP_Digital
Australia

Feb 26 06 04:03 am Link

Photographer

Frank Hart

Port Republic, New Jersey, US

Don't be a cheapo--give it to your neice.

Feb 26 06 07:39 am Link

Photographer

WBV Artography

San Antonio, Texas, US

I use both and for me both have their places.   I spent a month in Oregon hiking the Southern mountain coasts and there were times my digi stayed home like when my ONE battery was charging [I ran out the door and left every one of my spare backups at home.  sad ]]

I've got an 5MP Nikon and unless 8 is a major improvement the size I can enlarge with an 8+ in digi vs. film it won't make me give up film yet.

Feb 26 06 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Jim Sharp

Paxton, Illinois, US

I just bought another film camera just to use for shooting B&W. I'm underwhelmed with the look of digital B&W compared to real silver done in a darkroom prints.

I say let your niece use the stuff so you can hold onto it. I doubt it's going to go down much more in value and there may come a time when you want it again and will be sorry it's gone.

Feb 26 06 09:36 am Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

I'd give her at least one body, and create a "starter kit" for her, so-to-speak. If she's interested, I definitely wouldn't sell it.

Feb 26 06 11:08 am Link

Photographer

Dirk Alexander

Greenwood, Arkansas, US

Sorry, but For me it's just not even a question anymore....  as to b/w,   don't just desaturate, PS has a multitude of ways to create any b/w look you want....  and quality isn't even close!!!   digi left film behind at 6 megpixel...  so, unless you just LIKE chemicals....

Feb 26 06 11:21 am Link

Photographer

theedge

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Digital for about 70% & Film(Black & White) (HD Color) %30 of the time

Feb 26 06 11:48 am Link