Forums > General Industry > If you don't have a "dot-com" ...

Photographer

Jeff Cohn

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

http://www.x-pose.net/

im doing fine with a .net

Feb 26 06 01:21 am Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

AlwaysMadeUp wrote:
-type in website
-click enter
-click gallery
-click which gallery you want
-click on picture

Hm, let me see...that makes 5.

Fucktard.

Oh, sorry, didn't know "type in website" is what you consider a click. You don't need anther click to choose the gallery either, you're in there without choosing. Just because I have more to offer than you so I have it divided into categories for those who are interested in other things - it doesn't meant it counts as click. This way I could count twenty clicks I have to make on your website to access galleries too. Except that in your case i would run out of virtual memory by this time because of all open windows. Simply annoying.

Feb 26 06 01:24 am Link

Photographer

Sienna Hambleton

Toledo, Ohio, US

Ya' know, I think photographers that set certain conditions for what it takes to be professional (web sites, certain kind of studio, type of camera - blahblahblah) are either (1) not liking the competition or (2) trying to inflate what's probably already an overinflated ego.

Feb 26 06 01:25 am Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

John Jebbia wrote:
When you go to your main index page..

http://www.alwaysmadeup.com

You click on the "enter link" Pop-up #1.. which is really unnecessary. Why not just Enter and bam you're on the site...

Then the images all open in pop-ups... so now we have 3 windows dedicated to just your website.

* The main enter page
* The page once you enter
* The images

The pop-ups for the images, in my opinion are fine.. But the first pop-up once you enter the site is really unnecessary.

By the way, I agree with you that if Mr. Coates wants to spout off, he should first spell check his page. The mispelling of "Experiance" was the first thing that caught my eye. I was gonna comment on it, but you beat me to it.

The pop up was created so I could make it smaller than regular websites, so that people with different browser resolutions and different screen sizes could view my website comfortable. If someone were to have an 800x600 resolution (and they still do), a website like this (and most others) would have stupid scroll bars across the bottom and side to fit in the information. That is annoying and doesn't look proefessional in my opinion.

My website doesn't have that. It all fits in that nice little box: simple, streamline and profesional looking.

I also created a seperate pop up so that the bulk of my website would be seperated from all that ugly browswer shit that goes across the top of browsers. I don't like looking at that.

xo

Feb 26 06 01:26 am Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Visions Of Excess Studi wrote:
Ya' know, I think photographers that set certain conditions for what it takes to be professional (web sites, certain kind of studio, type of camera - blahblahblah) are either (1) not liking the competition or (2) trying to inflate what's probably already an overinflated ego.

Yup

Feb 26 06 01:27 am Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

MarkMarek wrote:

Oh, sorry, didn't know "type in website" is what you consider a click. You don't need anther click to choose the gallery either, you're in there without choosing. Just because I have more to offer than you so I have it divided into categories for those who are interested in other things - it doesn't meant it counts as click. This way I could count twenty clicks I have to make on your website to access galleries too. Except that in your case i would run out of virtual memory by this time because of all open windows. Simply annoying.

After you click on the Enter image, only one extra window is open (until you look at the gallery images, which you can close right away by clicking on them). You must have some shitty memory if your computer can't handle one extra pop-up.

xo

Feb 26 06 01:29 am Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

AlwaysMadeUp wrote:
After you click on the Enter image, only one extra window is open (until you look at the gallery images, which you can close right away by clicking on them). You must have some shitty memory if your computer can't handle one extra pop-up.

xo

Single image - 3 open windows already. That's pure annoying.

Feb 26 06 01:33 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

AlwaysMadeUp wrote:
There is just one pop up, aside from the images, so please expalin to me how that is annoying.

It doesn't matter xo.  It's actually very valuable customer feedback (anyone viewing your website is a potential customer).  You don't have to agree, but feedback is always good for business.

Feb 26 06 01:36 am Link

Photographer

Adonis G

Miami, Arizona, US

VRG Photography wrote:
I was told by someone a while back that if you don't have a "dot com" website, then you aren't legit, or serious about your work as either a model OR photographer.

There was some interesting debate about it, as well.

Your thoughts?

Yet another dumbass making a stupid comment.

Feb 26 06 01:37 am Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

MarkMarek wrote:

Single image - 3 open windows already. That's pure annoying.

What I find annoying is that when I click on those pictures you have on your home page, it takes me to some bullshit site that floods my computer with annoying popups. I don't care about superbeauty.org, sensualnudes.com or prettynude-sites.com and I certainly don't like clicking on those pictures, un-aware that the link will take me there. Why not just leave the links for your "Links" page and leave the pictures link-less, hm?

Feb 26 06 01:39 am Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

AlwaysMadeUp wrote:
What I find annoying is that when I click on those pictures you have on your home page, it takes me to some bullshit site that floods my computer with annoying popups. I don't care about superbeauty.org, sensualnudes.com or prettynude-sites.com and I certainly don't like clicking on those pictures, un-aware that the link will take me there. Why not just leave the links for your "Links" page and leave the pictures link-less, hm?

This is something you would never understand. Once you start making money from your website, then you will know the importance of your affiliates. But that's not for web newbies like you. I'll leave it at that - consider it a friendly advice and something you might want to look into in near future. The way you have it right now is annoying. Period. It is just a coincidence that my website is currently being redone. But that is not because of bad design of my current one. No, it's exact opposite. I get over 4000 unique visitors a day, several thousands have my website bookmarked and visit it regularly, i own and run 3 paysites, others are on the way soon to be launched. It is because my business is growing, and becasue I want to grow along with it, that is why I'm having mine redone from scratch.

Feb 26 06 01:52 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

AlwaysMadeUp wrote:
-type in website
-click enter
-click gallery
-click on picture

Fucktard.

No need for personal attacks and name calling.  Please refer to MM Rule #1.

https://modelmayhem.com/rules.php

And furthermore, this thread isn't about critiquing each others' websites.  It's about whether professionals need websites.  So cool it.  All of y'all.  If you want to whine about open windows, do it in private messages.

BD, MM Moderator

Feb 26 06 01:57 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

VRG Photography wrote:
For the record I DO have a dot com. I've had it for about 6 years now. I remember when I first got mine, people were downing those who were on Tripod, Angelfire, and others.

I know one photographer who operates from a model site, and the other works from another free site. Their work is excellent, but they just don't have a dot com.

Your "web site" on MM links to OMP.

Paul

Feb 26 06 02:02 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

No need for personal attacks and name calling.  Please refer to MM Rule #1.

https://modelmayhem.com/rules.php

And furthermore, this thread isn't about critiquing each others' websites.  It's about whether professionals need websites.  So cool it.  All of y'all.  If you want to whine about open windows, do it in private messages.

BD, MM Moderator

Jeez Brian they were just engaging in foreplay.

Feb 26 06 02:12 am Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

i have a domain that i pay for annually, but i don't have a site actually attatched to it yet.
i kinda want to get some help designing a site so i can show off my photos and drawings, but... so far, the whole thing is just image hosting.

oh, but i'm not sure i'm really a "legit" photographer (or artist) anyway.

Feb 26 06 09:51 am Link

Photographer

George Rice Photography

North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada

well one could then say if you dont have the newest Leica and the biggest and most expensive digital camera out there your not serrious. Tell this person to calm down and have a bit more fun.

Feb 26 06 10:04 am Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Paul Ferrara wrote:

Your "web site" on MM links to OMP.

Paul

I know. It's by design, and my "web site" is actually listed on both this site AND OMP.

At the bottom of the "about me" section of my profile, it actually lists my .com site . http://www.vrgphotography.com .

As most of my other modeling pics are on OMP, and this is a modeling site, I figured that would be easier than have people from MM navigate through my other photos.

Feb 26 06 10:58 am Link

Photographer

theedge

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Not So...That's just one person's opinion..

Feb 26 06 11:01 am Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

oldguysrule wrote:

tripe is tripe... this statement had to be followed by an offer to sell you yourveryownname.com for only 50k?

LOL

Nah, it was a thread on another forum, pre-MM.

I guess with everyone popping up with these sites that had a buzillion pop-ups, coupled with having to type in these long ass names, they thought it was a bit much, then went on a rant. LOL

Feb 26 06 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Chuck Holliday

New York, New York, US

Victor, whats good man?

Personally, its all about where your clientele comes from. in the urban world, Black Men's Magazine is looked upon as "god" but they dont even have a "formal" website, but it doesnt downplay their image in terms of their presence in the urban world. i think if you have a business based towards electronic clientele, then yeah having a proper setup online is crucial. but if most of your business is landbased, then the need to have something setup online isnt that much of a bigger need. sure, you wont be able to generate any online related clientele, but maybe some people dont want to go through the headaches of dealing with inquiries from the internet if theyre used to landbased clientele.

Feb 26 06 11:26 am Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Hey Chuck,

I gotta get to NY one day.

Never been there, and I can't let you and some of these other great photographers hog ALL of the models.

SHARE! LOL

You're have a point about the type of photography/clientele, though. If you aren't getting as much business online, you shouldn't spend a whole lot of time with it. Just a few pics on A website would suffice, thus the reasons that some photographers may choose the other route, rather than pay for hosting, design, etc.

Feb 26 06 11:33 am Link

Photographer

john knight

Farmington, New Mexico, US

I totally disagree, I think a model/photographers attitude and professionalism is what makes them ligit. I recently hired a model for a paid project ,after turning down a model who had all FREE ports and no dot com. The paid model had the highest level of memberships on other model sights as well as a dot com. well guess who was a no show/no call....and the FREE model happily re-accepted and we had a great shoot together....It is the person behind the dot not the dot itself.

Feb 26 06 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Jack North

Benicia, California, US

MarkMarek wrote:

Holy schmokes, where have you been last 5 years. Html is dead!!! Unles you can program in PHP or .ASP etc. you're not gonna get too far - unless of course you're happy with the site like yours.

the level of misinformation on this thread is higher than normal for mm. Even if you employ some middle-tier, macro replacement, SSI or scripting, you won't be able to escape the bottom of the technology stack -- if you are targeting browsers.

Feb 27 06 07:41 am Link

Photographer

Carl J Speed II

San Antonio, Texas, US

MarkMarek wrote:

Holy schmokes, where have you been last 5 years. Html is dead!!! Unles you can program in PHP or .ASP etc. you're not gonna get too far - unless of course you're happy with the site like yours.

Have you forgotten CSS?

Feb 27 06 07:56 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

I've got a whole bunch of .com names reserved (some in photography, some in media, some personal), but really don't have any decent site. I hate fooling around with FrontPage and haven't found either an easy or cheap way yet to develop a real site (or just haven't been committed enough to any particular venture to invest in it).

I do agree, though, that having a site is necessary if you want to be viewed as a pro in this business. I also think a .com is better than any other domain, because people assume most sites to be a .com.

Feb 27 06 07:57 am Link

Photographer

Carl J Speed II

San Antonio, Texas, US

AlwaysMadeUp wrote:

-type in website
-click enter
-click gallery
-click on picture

Fucktard.

Wow. Was it necessary to be blatantly rude and callign names?
Fucktard belongs in some internet chat room where people speak l33t, not on a website like this.

Feb 27 06 07:58 am Link