Forums > General Industry > Web Site Faux Pas

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Sometimes I love surfing photographers web sites.  Yes, I go to look at the pictures.  But sometimes, there are some stylistic choices being made that I just don't like.  I wish people wouldn't do them.

Everying is just my opinion, I'm just saying...    Okay, the things I don't like:

>>>  Sites that decide to resize my window.
>>>  Sites that hide the menu stuff that's supposed to be at the top.
>>>  Sites with errors in their scripts.
>>>  Sites that take forever to load Flash animation.
>>>  Noisy sites, especially those without an option to mute.
>>>  Sites with too many distractions (ads, banners, links).
>>>  Sites with pop-ups.
>>>  Sites with spyware.
>>>  Sites that are too cookie happy.
>>>  Sites that make me wait.
>>>  Sites with only tiny pictures.  I don't need them large, but not tiny.
>>>  Sites that are hard to read:
       >>>  Sites with tiny text (my eyes are no longer that good)
       >>>  Sites with poorly matched text & background colors.
>>>  Difficult to navigate sites.
>>>  Sites that put up barriers before I can start viewing images.

Feb 25 06 05:55 pm Link

Model

PetiteSamantha

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
>>>  Sites with spyware.

The top one is my ultimate annoyance, but they are all bad bad bad!

Feb 25 06 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Wow..., luckily I seem not to have the problem.

The only problem I see, since my site is VERY basic is the background that is fading from silvergray to dark gray and the text towards the bottom is too dark on some monitors...

But, I'll correct that one sometimes soon... when I put the missing galleries back up... when I have time... when there is no more editing from big assignments... when I run out of reasons to procrastinate... wink

Feb 25 06 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Creativity Farm

Westville, New Jersey, US

>>Sites that play music... and won't let you shut it off

>>Sites that pop open new windows for every new page

>>Sites with horizontal scrolls

Feb 25 06 06:03 pm Link

Model

Chaya Phally

New York, New York, US

What about surfing models' website? I would love to hear feedback about my site.

Feb 25 06 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

WBV Artography

San Antonio, Texas, US

Yeah-all of the above.  The text/background thing is one of my peeves---dark blue or red letters on black??!?!?!?!

>My 'CD' collection-type stuff.   Ya know-no one but you really shive a git that you have EVERY CD put out by 'Jack Meoff and the Handless Bunch".

Feb 25 06 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

PlasticPuppet

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

amazing_dona wrote:
What about surfing models' website? I would love to hear feedback about my site.

It's easy enough to navigate, but is there a special reason why the galleries are open new windows?

Feb 25 06 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

Light and Darker

Salisbury, England, United Kingdom

a good site should wind up anyone not in its market :-P

Feb 25 06 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

MartinCoatesIV

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

Sites that have too much junk, graphisc info, blam on the screen at one time.

Feb 25 06 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

As posters above have said, some sites play music or a video the moment the site opens.  Bad idea!  Those of us who surf at our day jobs - I think that's a whole bunch of surfers - can be surprised and embarrased.  When I come across a with instantaneous audio or video, I close it instantly and never go back.

Feb 25 06 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Most of my website pet-peeves have been mentioned; the one I really hate is music. When I come across a site with music I hit the "back" button and never go back. I really  hate that. I also really dislike sites that have an "under construction" message and pages that aren't there. If the site isn't complete don't publish it. Or, add the "missing" content later. In my opinion a website is always under construction, as it should always be updated and maintained. So, to call attention to the fact you didn't bother finishing the site before you published it is a very bad idea. I also don't like frames that have no real purpose. Sometimes they serve a function for navigation, but many times the person just used frames for the sake of using them. Frames also makes it more difficult to set your site up with keywords and some indexes won't even list them.

Anyway, I think that's all I can think of at the moment. I'm going to totally redesign my website to give it a much more professional look. Any advice would be greatly appreciated (and yeah, I know -- it has far too many images on it at the moment and I haven't updated it in months).

http://www.axolotyl-studios.com (destined to be www.thielenphoto.com)

-Pat-

Feb 25 06 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Pat Thielen wrote:
I also really dislike sites that have an "under construction" message and pages that aren't there. If the site isn't complete don't publish it.

Sorry... after taking 600 pages down and trying to redo the whole site... and there are still many many galleries missing, I had the "under construction" sign on several pages that weren't updated, yet most had content... except the links page, which has now some content.

Ahhh... what the heck...

Can't satisfy everybody... wink

Feb 25 06 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

Creativity Farm

Westville, New Jersey, US

UdoR wrote:

Sorry... after taking 600 pages down and trying to redo the whole site... and there are still many many galleries missing, I had the "under construction" sign on several pages that weren't updated, yet most had content... except the links page, which has now some content.

Ahhh... what the heck...

Can't satisfy everybody... wink

Well, maybe you can play music on the under construction pages

Feb 25 06 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Mark Stein wrote:

Do'h!!!!!

Feb 25 06 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Mark Stein wrote:
>>Sites that play music... and won't let you shut it off

>>Sites that pop open new windows for every new page

>>Sites with horizontal scrolls

You summed it up for me. I don't think you have many (if any) photography websites with spyware, but for each click to open new window - that downright annoying. And horizontal scrolls - OMG !!!

Feb 25 06 06:56 pm Link

Model

Chaya Phally

New York, New York, US

PlasticPuppet wrote:

It's easy enough to navigate, but is there a special reason why the galleries are open new windows?

No. Thank you for asking. I just fixed the gallery, so you won't be annoyed by the "popping" windows.  smile

Feb 25 06 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

Angelo Lorenzo

Simi Valley, California, US

that's why my portfolio site is simple and uses a natural color combination (royal blue, dark orange/brown and white for text, so it's easy on the eyes)

Feb 25 06 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I hate that without warning resize thing...I don't mind if they warn me or clicking a link pops up a new window sized how the web designer sized it.

Opps...sorry...guilty...

Yuck

Double yuck...and some of the many reasons flash is disabled on my browser

>>>  Sites with pop-ups.
Pop ups you initiate? or auto pop ups?  I don't mind the first, but the second is annoying as all get out

>>>  Sites with spyware.
Agreed

Opps...sorry...guilty I guess.  I keep them small so that they're not stolen, but I also don't watermark across them.

Uh...I've no control over that...I set site text size to a relative "2" and if your browser is set to display that tiny...well...it will display that tiny.

I think I made mine easy to navigate, and I used a black box to darken the areas where text lays so that it is easier to read.

Feb 25 06 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

Many of you make some very good points as to web design.

My site has music on the home page and noplace else. Once you leave the main page you wont hear anymore music. The site is easy to navigate. As to those of you who surf from work, you must remeber that all sites are not made for those surfing on their bsses time. I do not allow my emplyees to surf the net at work and I track them daily. I dont pay them to surf for fun. So when I hear music on a web page I am thankful to the designer for the heads up.

Depending on the sites purpose, it may not have been designed for you in mind. meaning, if you dont have a great connection or powerful system, you may be at a disadvantage on many sites.

many designers take this into account when they design. One can not design for every one.

So it really comes down to the design and purpose of the site and the market that site is going for.

Our site is ment for the corporation to view, we dont really worry about people with dial up and slow computers.

Feb 25 06 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

First -- I should apologize.  I thought I was posting this on the "Off Topic" forum.  Sorry 'bout that.

Another pet peeve:
   >>>  Sites with lots of blinking / flashing /animated stuff.  Especially the kind
           that pops like a strobe light.

Feb 26 06 10:56 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Mark Stein wrote:

Hahahaa... very funny! big_smile

Feb 26 06 11:07 am Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Mark Stein wrote:

LOL

Feb 26 06 11:13 am Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Sometimes I love surfing photographers web sites.  Yes, I go to look at the pictures.  But sometimes, there are some stylistic choices being made that I just don't like.  I wish people wouldn't do them.

Everying is just my opinion, I'm just saying...    Okay, the things I don't like:

>>>  Sites with pop-ups.
>>>  Sites with spyware.

That looks like a list of things I see on models' sites.

I made my site pretty basic. I just wanted to put some pics up, give people information about me and my work, and give the models exposure.

I'm not sure about the tiny pictures, though. I used to have them pretty large, but decided to go with a standard 300x450 size for my new pics (still working on the old pics, though).

What exactly is your definition of tiny? Are we talking barely above thumbnail size? If you can post an example, that would be nice. smile

Feb 26 06 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

VRG Photography wrote:
I'm not sure about the tiny pictures, though. I used to have them pretty large, but decided to go with a standard 300x450 size for my new pics (still working on the old pics, though).

What exactly is your definition of tiny? Are we talking barely above thumbnail size? If you can post an example, that would be nice. smile

"Tiny" is a relative thing -- to each his own.  I think images that are 450 pixels on its longest side is a good size.  That's what I use, except sometimes I post a larger image (550 pixels on longest side) for those images I especially like.

But I've seen photographers who post images that are no bigger than 300 pixels (or even less) on its longest side.

Feb 26 06 11:32 am Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

"Tiny" is a relative thing -- to each his own.  I think images that are 450 pixels on its longest side is a good size.  That's what I use, except sometimes I post a larger image (550 pixels on longest side) for those images I especially like.

But I've seen photographers who post images that are no bigger than 300 pixels (or even less) on its longest side.

Gotcha.

Yeah, that IS tiny.

Feb 26 06 11:36 am Link