Forums > General Industry > New Faces Talent Book - Photoart Resource - SCAM?

Model

Ehn Tee

Detroit Beach, Michigan, US

Hey everyone! So I got this message through myspace about getting listed in a model book that is sent to over 70 agencies. Just wondering if anyone's ever heard of this company and this type of offer. Is it reputable or not?

All they ask for is $35, which isn't too much. I'd expect a scam to ask for way more than that.

Here are the details that I got in the message:
----------------------------------------------
This is by invitation ONLY:

Models: list yourself in the New Faces Talent Book Spring 2006. Increase your exposure and daily rates and advertise a professional medium. This book is designed exclusively for fashion industry use.
Many industry professionals have told us repeatedly, "I just don't have the time and patience to look at websites with unprofessional photos and old contact information. I wish I had a high-quality book that I
could reference instead...professionally speaking, printed matter is far more engaging than a computer screen."

What we have for you:
-Listing in New faces talent book, FULL COLOR OVERSIZED HIGH QUALITY book.
-Free book for you.
-Book sent to the 71 top agencies. (List available to you upon request.)

What you need to do:

1. Email your vital stats (height, weight, bust, hips, waist, shoe size, dress size) along with CURRENT CONTACT INFO (phone or agent phone, email) to [email protected] - subject line: New Faces - model,
along with a professional headshot and a body shot. This reserves your 1/2 page placement in the book.
2. We lay out your graphics in our book and send you a layout to approve.
3. You approve it and we prepare to print.
4. And last: Pay the $35 listing fee via check, credit card, or paypal.
5. Receive your free book (we pay shipping).

About the book:
Limited to 412 models - photographers - MUA's total.
9" x 12" oversized book, 12 point laminated full color covers and 70.. gloss full color through out.

More info at
www.PhotoArtResource.com (hit reload if it doesn't open the first time) or call 212-330-8272.
This book is printed 2 times per year, Spring and Fall.

*We are NOT a model agency. This offer is for models, signed or unsigned, photographers, and MUA's that are looking for another way to promote themselves in a professional and high quality industry publication.

We reserve the right to refuse anyone listing in the book for any reason.

About us:
We are a small company in NYC that specializes in limited edition art books. We began the model listing book because we also work with alot of models and agencies and the agencies stated a need for a convenient book (not a magazine or a pile of comp cards) that would facilitate their model selection. We send this book to over 70 legitimate agencies print divisions and we deal in fashion only (no adult, no playboy style). The agencies have let us know that they do not like using most websites since the photos vary greatly in quality and the formats change from site to site and not the easiest to navigate. They have left it to us to get high quality accurate photos and more importantly, accurate contact information in a book. Word-of-mouth has been our best friend although unless you are an art book collector or figure photography aficionado, you may not have heard of us.
--------------------------------------------

I appreciate anyone's help! Thanks!

Feb 23 06 09:57 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

There WAS such a thing, (not sure if they still   it) but...

1. They DO NOT list it publicly...it's completely exclusive from
agencies to clients.
2. It's ONLY for in the FASHION models in New York, Paris and Milan...no other markets. Top Fashion Markets.
3. "REAL" MODEL STATS. 5'9 to 5'11...34-24-34. 0-4
5'7/5'8 if you're 14 to 17 yrs old. Ages only between 14 to 20. The younger...the better.
4. It costs considerably more than $35.

5. Exclusivity=Only available through the TOP agencies who group their "new faces" or "free agents" together to give ALL clients and other agencies a sneak peek of fresh/hot faces for the up-coming seasons. It's not for anyone else.
It's like a secret society newsletter/ publication.
At least that's the best I can remember how it worked.

But, I don't know if they still do this. This was years ago.

Agencies do still keep their own in-house look book for existing clients which contains only their models; their best models who are working the most.

So, specifically for you...
this is a scam. This is the equivalent to non-represented actors receiving the "Beakdowns" castings through third parties. It's of no use to you.

You'll give this guy $35 and never hear from
him again.

[i]::This message shall self-destrict in T-minus, 5...4...3...2...::

Feb 23 06 10:16 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Also, check out the wording....no mention of sexes....but yet it implies only female models. With sizes and stats.

Pay attention to the venue in which they found you.
Trust me...if this book is still around...they won't be on myspace trying to find models... And is about $250 for each season printing. Not $35.

Feb 23 06 10:25 pm Link

Model

Ehn Tee

Detroit Beach, Michigan, US

Crazy-Evil Angelus wrote:
Also, check out the wording....no mention of sexes....but yet it implies only female models. With sizes and stats.

Trust me...if this book is still around...they won't be on myspace trying to find models... And is about $250 for each season printing. Not $35.

Hmmm...yea...I'm leaning towards no. I've heard of models getting contacted for legit work through myspace before. Since this posting, I got a couple of messages saying that the book is of very poor quality. Thanks for the input!

Feb 23 06 10:38 pm Link

Model

Jenni

Chicago, Illinois, US

There WAS such a thing, (not sure if they still   it) but...

1. They DO NOT list it publicly...it's completely exclusive from
agencies to clients.
2. It's ONLY for in the FASHION models in New York, Paris and Milan...no other markets. Top Fashion Markets.
3. "REAL" MODEL STATS. 5'9 to 5'11...34-24-34. 0-4
5'7/5'8 if you're 14 to 17 yrs old. Ages only between 14 to 20. The younger...the better.
4. It costs considerably more than $35.

5. Exclusivity=Only available through the TOP agencies who group their "new faces" or "free agents" together to give ALL clients and other agencies a sneak peek of fresh/hot faces for the up-coming seasons. It's not for anyone else.
It's like a secret society newsletter/ publication.
At least that's the best I can remember how it worked.

But, I don't know if they still do this. This was years ago.

Agencies do still keep their own in-house look book for existing clients which contains only their models; their best models who are working the most.

So, specifically for you...
this is a scam. This is the equivalent to non-represented actors receiving the "Beakdowns" castings through third parties. It's of no use to you.

You'll give this guy $35 and never hear from
him again.

[i]::This message shall self-destrict in T-minus, 5...4...3...2...::

They were trying to get me to do that Im in FAR from 5'9. Another reason why I think its scammy. And they were trying to charge a lot more than $35...And the girls in their mag they sent me looked like really bad "beauty queens" you with with the " higher the hair closer to god" thing going on. They were showing before and after pics. It scared me. lol.

Feb 24 06 07:56 am Link

Model

Trevasia

Livermore, California, US

speaking of fondong girls on myspace...thats exactly where i got the same "invitation" from

Feb 24 06 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

It's a scam. a total scam.  Before I retired, when I was operating a commercial studio I received  "books" like this on a regular basis. They went into the trash. Agencies are the same, only they receive far more than I did as a commercial photographer. Save your money! As a photographer, I still receive 'offers' similar to this on a regular basis. They provide a low quality but real product, but one which no one will ever look at.

35 bucks may seem like a low price for a scam, but $35 times 10, 000 suckers make for a nice pay check. It's "by invitation", but the invitation is to everyone whose email address they can find.

Feb 24 06 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Never trust a publisher (or practically any other business) that doesn't display their actual business address while requesting money from you.

Feb 25 06 09:52 am Link

Model

nicci

Columbus, Ohio, US

I got an email regarding this on Myspace too. I'm not participating, obviously.

Feb 25 06 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Hoot

Picayune, Mississippi, US

Jenni wrote:
...And the girls in their mag they sent me looked like really bad "beauty queens" you with with the " higher the hair closer to god" thing going on. They were showing before and after pics. It scared me. lol.

ROTFLMAO

Thank you! I laughed so hard I almost fell off my chair. I can reaally use that line around here (MS).

smile

Feb 27 06 08:38 pm Link