Forums > General Industry > Teen Models

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

I am going ot be working with a 17 year old model over the next few months to a year hopefully (she just turned 17 today).  I am planning to meet with her parents and all that. From what she has told me her mom is okay with it and just wants to see some of my work.   Anyway I think she has a lot of potential and look forward to working with her.  She also has this totally adorable 14 year old sister who I think .. when I saw her I could see her in magazines or store catalogs modeling teen clothings and whatnot.   How would I go about finding a way to get in touch with someone about doing something like that?  Like how, if I did photograph her for such a medium, how or where might I go about submitting pics or contacting people to see if they would be interested in working with her/using her for print. etc?     Hopefully this made sense. lol

Feb 23 06 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

- As long as your last name isn't "Hamilton" you shouldn't have any problems
- Have a rock-solid model release signed in person by parents and model(s)
- Have someone (preferably a parent) at every shoot

But you knew all that already...

Probably the best thing you could do for her would be to get a nice, agency-compatible portfolio put together, focused on the sort of catalog modeling she is suited for.

Trying to get her work falls under the agency/manager role, and that's a whole different can of worms.

After that, if she's really interested in making it happen, nothing can stop her from finding the local contacts and passing her book around. OTOH, if she's just not that into it, no amount of prodding will make her actually ditch the mall and show up for auditions and go-sees.

Feb 23 06 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

Thanks Richard.   As I haven't done an actual release yet, what would be a good one to use and what would it include?

Feb 23 06 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

Sorry, not my expertise, and IANAL. You should preferably discuss this with a lawyer who understands general releases, any applicable labor laws in Iowa, etc.

Feb 23 06 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Hoot

Picayune, Mississippi, US

By far, most modeling and photography work is local. Contact all the ad agencies and commercial photographers in your area and see if they have a need for what you're selling.

Feb 23 06 08:28 pm Link