Forums > General Industry > Polaroids on major agency online portfolios

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

I've noticed that now, the online portfolios with the major agencies, are often including the model's polaroids ( 5-6 in an array scanned ).
This is So Great!

I'd like to encourage online models on sites such as mm to do the same.
It's so helpful to see you models raw.

John

Jun 22 05 11:47 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Isn't that the same as the web cam pics everyone complains about?

When looking for a model, I don't want to see 100% retouched photos. I'd like to see what i will be working with.

Jun 22 05 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

No, it's not the same as web cam shots people complain about. Most web cam shots have severe distortion, bad angles, poor lighting, grainy, out of focus, no full body, no profiles, messy distracting backgrounds etc.

A good set of polaroids are lit well enough to clearly see the model without distracting or dramatic shadows, they're not distorted from the camera being too close, from the camera angle being too high or too low, or in the body shot from being anywhere but waist level, they're taking against a plain background, there is little or no make up, and if they're really complete they show head on & both profiles in both head and body shots, also a straight on rear body shot, smiling and not, hair up and hair down, the model in underwear or bikini, or at least something that shows most of the body

Jun 22 05 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Sounds better than a Photoshop simulation of a model.

Jun 22 05 12:57 pm Link

Model

I have a raw image in my portfolio (smile)

I also agree with XtremeArtists, the amazements of PhotoShop wink A skilled makeup artist, hair stylist, wardrobe stylist can completely change the look too (e.g. my zebra jacket or pink hair photos). As a model it's important to have that diversity, the variety of different looks.

Jun 22 05 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Agencies usually use the polaroids that they themselves take because they don't have other images. When the girls get pictures, they are usually removed.

Jun 22 05 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Posted by Fred Brown: 
Agencies usually use the polaroids that they themselves take because they don't have other images. When the girls get pictures, they are usually removed.

I was trying to find an example on Elite Chicago, but if you goto Elite LA and look at Alice Dodd or Amy Ferguson for instance... they've got tears + you have the option of viewing their polaroids. I like this...

John

Jun 22 05 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Many reasons such as building confidence for the very young brand newbies.  To send a message against the overphotoshopped images,  that the agencies mostly need to SEE WHAT THE MODEL LOOKS LIKE FIRST.  It is all about the need to show models and clients that pictures are of what the models really looks like.

It is a start to gain attention while involving the newbies in the process to build confidence without much investment.  Then the weeding out begins. 

(Where is my Roundup?)

But actually it is a Evil plot for the poloroids are actually digitally enhanced robots that have been shot on Kodachrome.  The Kodachrome film is then retouched and then projected onto the poloroid film,  this gives the appearence of a poloroid with no manipulation.

For the draw strings in the back of the head need to be taken away.

But we still need to (say it with me people)......

SEE WHAT THE MODEL LOOKS LIKE,  then comes the art.

Jun 22 05 02:54 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Fred Brown: 

Odd. During one of my pre-shoot meetings with a fashion photographer, I apologized gofor the state of my book and he told me the only thing that really differentiated my book from the working fashion models he tested was that I had no polaroids.  I now take a couple to preliminary meetings.

Jun 22 05 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

John Landers

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Update your portfolio here:

http://www.polaroidonizer.nl.eu.org/

Jun 22 05 04:34 pm Link

Model

MULIKA

London, England, United Kingdom

That's so interesting...I went in to see Bob Carlos Clarke for a casting on Monday and as he looked through my book, It was the polaroids stashed in the sleeve that he fished out for closer inspection. lol

Jun 22 05 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I always find polaroids and web cam images the most interesting part of a model's portfolio.  They actually give me a better idea of what I'll get when I use lo-tech and toycamera techniques with them.  And they're usually free of whatever vision the last photographer the model worked with had.

Jun 22 05 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

Dan RI

Providence, Rhode Island, US

The term poloroid could be confusing for some.

The point is you need a very basic shot but not a web cam shot that is not a bunch of makeup and clothes or no clothes.  No retouching.

Simple shot,  why are you beautiful.  Most women do not know how beautiful they are without makeup. 

Jun 22 05 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

With the correct lighting any photo including a webcam or polaroid can look amazing. Not all models are photogs or light experts though so the lighting effects are not there. I have seen polaroids and webcam photos that look very good. Professional agencies used to ask for polaroids for trademark and copyright issues and to my knowledge are still doing that.
The modeling agency i went to years ago asked for polaroids or 4x6 prints with all my info on them saying they were mine.
While in the office the guy signed them in front of me and dated them and wrote "Not for Use" and then initialed, then i initialed and dated them.
Good lighting for any photo is key, polaroid or webcam included....hell even a cell phone.

Jun 23 05 07:08 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

i am all for models having polaroids, and it is true.. if you go to the photogenics website (www.photogenicsmedia.com) a lot of the girls have their polaroids online.

Jun 09 06 10:00 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

it is really great to see...I go on at look at those pics all the time...helps to see that they're flawed...but not TOO flawed wink

Fred Browns Avatar model has some good poloroid pics.

Jun 09 06 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

John Allan wrote:
I've noticed that now, the online portfolios with the major agencies, are often including the model's polaroids ( 5-6 in an array scanned ).
This is So Great!

I'd like to encourage online models on sites such as mm to do the same.
It's so helpful to see you models raw.

John

That is great.. is great but funny... Those girls have them.. because they are gorgeous.. A LOT of 'models' in places like mm and others.. are the result of photoshop smile a lot would be scary in a polaroid smile

Jun 09 06 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

Fred Brown wrote:

Negative, they keep them.. and they actually have the girls take polaroids often to keep them updated.

Jun 09 06 11:32 pm Link

Model

Cristina Ashley

Buffalo, Illinois, US

I have a pic in my port on here with no makeup that's just a digi cam pic I took.

I think it's helpful because the other pics I have in my port just show the looks that were created...not what I truly look like.

Jun 09 06 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

miss z

San Francisco, California, US

XtremeArtists wrote:
Isn't that the same as the web cam pics everyone complains about?

When looking for a model, I don't want to see 100% retouched photos. I'd like to see what i will be working with.

How can you guys tell if something is retouched?

/so naive. hmm

Jun 09 06 11:48 pm Link